1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

BA thesis on Harry Potter Fan Ficiton

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AcademiaPotter, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

Huh, well there's a thing. I took a look at my Uni's digital archive (which is linked to seemingly every journal ever) and it's impressive how much stuff there is.

OK, so most of it is newspaper articles rather than reviewed research but there's a lot of it:

Catherine Tosenberger wrote two 'papers': 'Mature Poets Steal: Children's Literature and the Unpublishability of Fanfiction' and 'Homosexuality at the Online Hogwarts: Harry Potter Slash Fanfiction'.

There's also some others that look at slash specifically, like 'The Slash Fanfiction Connection to Bi Men' by Raven Davies.

Or a very detailed look into why people write fanfiction, 'I Love You to Meaninglessness: From Mortal Characters to Immortal Character Types in P&P Fanfiction' by Brett Jenkins.

Most interestingly is a paper suggesting that fanfiction gives insight into reader expectations and understanding of fiction in general, 'Fanfiction as imaginary play: What fan-written stories can tell us about the cognitive science of fiction' by Jennifer Barnes.

Or course there's other stuff that many people have already seen. Like an analysis of fandom pairings or the demographics of the FFN community.

The article by Jennifer Barnes is particularly interesting.

2. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

It is really simple. Sex.

3. gundam_wizard

gundam_wizard Fourth Year

I'd say, that harem stuff's teenage boy's wish fulfillment fics.

4. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I've been approached a few times over the years about being part of studies in fanfiction.

I recall... I think it was the University of Edinburgh, back in '05/'06, RossWrock, Barb, me, and a few others took part in a thesis on the reader expectation when it came to fanfiction, and what we 'heavy hitters' thought about our obligation to those readers.

I did a little something with MIT last year, but that's more to do with making the leap to original fiction.

I think if you go looking, OP, you'll find a wealth of past studies on the topic.

5. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Maybe not, but not in the direction you intended. I jumped into writing HP fanfiction not because I wanted to educate the public on something, but because I wanted to educate myself in writing better. I wonder how many others had that goal, or a similar one?

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I started out writing original stories with no intention of ever doing fanfiction. The problem? You suck when you start out, a lot, and it's hard as hell to get anyone to read a story that sucks. Even if you're only an 'okay' writer it's hard to get concrit on it.

Fanfiction is much easier. Even if it's shit someone will probably read it. Most of the reviews and feedback you get will be useless, but it is (in my opinion) better than not getting any. So when I had an idea for a long fanfic I started mapping it out and writing it, because if my first million words or so are going to suck I might as well have some of it be a fanfiction that I can get more people to actually read and comment on.

7. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

This, for me.

I am not, by nature, an especially good writer. I am a good technical writer; I can write academic papers in my sleep and I can communicate very effectively my thoughts on various things. Creative writing and communicating the thoughts of the imaginary other is much harder.

And so that's why I write. Engineering, Programming, it gets a little boring after a while without an interesting problem to drive you on. Creative writing is an endless problem, infinite in its variations. Put simply it is hard, and it stays pretty hard even after years of experience.

And that's lovely.

Every story I write is centred around learning something even before I decide what the story is meant to be. It might be writing high-octane fight scenes, or romance, or in-depth character arcs or anything else. The point with each fic is to be better at that specific thing.

Writing a proper book wouldn't achieve that.

8. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

You might also like to look at TV Tropes. A lot of the tropes originated in HP fan fiction and might help you get an overview of the whole fandom.

9. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Agreeing with this but I will say discouragement is a poor solution and I'd prefer artists/writers/etc were pushed to expand their craft into original territory instead of doing the same tropey hack shit that most of them end up doing.

10. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

Do you have a link to your WbA fanfics/PCnet/FFnet accounts?

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The longer fanfic I mention isn't listed on there. I also have some short stuff floating around DLP that isn't there. I've got about 40k words written for it, but it's piecemeal and I wanted to get a more cohesive bit of it written before posting anywhere. Been a while since I worked on it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  12. RossWrock

RossWrock Squib

I do remember that, but don't think I ever saw what became of it. If anyone has a link, I'd appreciate it.

13. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I'll try and dig it out.

Good to see you, Ross. Hope you've got a story or two in you yet.