1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Balancing Destinies by DobbyElfLord - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Bratling, Mar 24, 2008.

1. della_couer

della_couer Second Year

I think kmfrank makes a good point. There are other ways to fight a battle and the latest chapter seems to point to some political underhandedness afoot.

I also agree with the point that Harry having 'more' may in fact mean more to loose and I'm curious how he might respond to that. I doubt we'll have DEL leading Harry to the darkside, but Tom is another story. Harry managed to keep him from going dark, but what will happen the him if Tom looses all he holds dear. That is a question I've been wondering. Tom's son, his grandaughter, his 'brothers' and 'sisters' all these people are/were vital in keeping Tom Light. What would happen if he lost them?

I'm not certain what DEL has planned, but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that he has no where to take this story.

2. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Tom going postal would be bloody hilarious, perhaps Alajos Sardonnes could be the next dark lord? then Tom could blast him into itty bitty pieces.

DEL is an amazing writer, but his prophecy's suck.

3. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

New chapter's up...

4. Vengashii

Vengashii Banned

Guh, I dunno. Dialogue seems to have taken a turn for the worse this chapter. Very rushed too. <.<

5. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I agree with you, on the other hand maybe this will be harry/luna :)

6. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Hmm . . . it's possible, and it would be great if it were, but with the way Luna was speaking and acting, I have to wonder if the author wasn't forshadowing her death in the attack.

It almost seemed to me that she was kissing Harry good bye for good, and wishing him luck in the coming fight against the rise of the dark.

7. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Updated after almost a month...

Anyway, the chapter felt really really slow, but reading through it it looks like the plot is starting to develop even farther and judging by Altered this is when the story will start to pick up its pace.

8. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Man, poor Michele. Sucks to be her.

How do I shot spoiler tags?

with the [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] tags, minus the spaces

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, its gone from being fluff fluff fluff...

...and.then we saw evisceration. Really did not expect that.

Still still has no feeling of direction too it. Honestly, I preferred the original far more.

10. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

Really, really disliked this chapter.

11. FeverFudge

FeverFudge Muggle

I think that alot opf what happened in the previous fic will come back in this one. Obviously. But I think that the author just sort left the demon thing up in the air. Their reality has all the secrets and you can enter into all reality's from that world. I mean - what?

Then Grindelwald is sucked into that dimension ("the real world") and he's never heard of again? He is a powerful wizard with the power to make atleast one demon submit to him. - Wasn't he actually turned into a demon himself? I think something about that is going to come back to bite Harry in the ass.

I'm excited to see where the story goes. I rate it 4.5-5/5

12. fooboo27

fooboo27 Third Year

I feel that the author's writing is excellent. However, when stories start getting to have multiple sequels, I often find that the sequels aren't nearly as great as the first fic written. On a personal level, it just feels weird to me how Harry's progeny are now way older than he is. The introduction of a new prophecy to stimulate the plot is off-putting as well.

13. della_couer

della_couer Second Year

For those of you who may have been waiting for the story to kick it up a notch, check out the new chapter. I think it was amazing, realistic plot, some great character development and more intrigue to bury yourself in. If you liked Altered Destinies for it's action and intelligent look into Unspeakables and war...well I think you may love this chapter as much as I did.

So go and read it because I think it rocked, just one of those chapters that reminds me that fanfiction is worth reading. :D

14. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

They had some good twists in the recent chapter, I can't wait to see where DobbyElfLord is taking this.

By the by.. nice quote della. Classic movie.

15. Innomine

High Score:
    Interesting, very interesting. Finally something starts happening. The author doesn't have much problem with killing good guys as well, which is nice to see for once.

16. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

This chapter has restored my faith, instead of a repeat of Altered destines in 1997 it has taken a completely new turn, suddenly I can't wait for the next chapter.

Also
    Looks like there is going to be Harry/Fleur
    This would be awesome.

17. Blackvoice

Blackvoice Third Year

Well, now we know why he had bazillions of relatives. The author had to be able to kill a lot of 'em and still have a decent squad left.

I like how this is going.

18. Innomine

High Score:
    Heh, is it just me is does everyone seem like a freaking healer in these two stories, its almost starting to become cliche.

19. della_couer

della_couer Second Year

I don't know, I mean Sarah being a 'healer' really clinched her character if you ask me, and she was Harry's 'healer' the person who helped him to put the past aside and move one. In that sense the role was really well cast and I think a good indication of her character and her role in Harry's life.

And one of her daughters chose the same field. Not surprising. One of Harry's sons went the Auror route which was Harry's dream before things were shot to hell.

And if anyone wants to continue hoping for a Harry/Fleur pairing in this fic... her position as a healer might imply she's Harry's type.

But in an even more general sense, if I'm preparing for battle against some dark force that is intending on 'correcting' the shift in the timeline, I'd want healers on my side as well.

Actually I thought Fleur being a healer, and thus having a reason to be brought in was actually a well played move. I was surprised to see her, but with all the Veela in Harry's family now she has quite a few connections to it. Should be fun to watch even if no serious pairing develops.

20. TehLicha

TehLicha First Year

It just updated again. Another excellent chapter. I found the usage of the Chamber of Secrets as a temporary home very practical. (it's usually Grimmauld Place with Fidelius Charm in these types of stories, but considering that all the known Parselmouths are Potters...)