1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Balancing Destinies by DobbyElfLord - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Bratling, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm still of two minds about this story, it is good, but im not really getting the 'amazing' vibe from it. Nothing that keeps me at the edge of my seat wanting more.

Right now this is still sitting at a 3-4/5 for me. I personally enjoyed the first one more.

2. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

So I just started chapter 8, and I got that feeling.

If you kill off Michele at the end of this chapter, may the gods help you. I will hunt you down bitch.

Yes, I'm that into the story. First rate, kudos, etc.

EDIT: (Further into the chapter)

Please don't make me have to murder you with a damn pointy stick.

EDIT2: (Almost done)
    THERE WILL BE PAIN!!!

EDIT3:
    Phew, okay. We're good now. Character alive for at least one more chapter.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  3. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

New chapter is up, seems like the plot is starting to focus some more, I like Hermione's characterization, though I thought that scene could have been more developed.

Also:
    Putting America into the plot was a good way of drawing in new ordinances, and it didn't seem contrived.
    and
    Seems more and more likely there will be a Harry/Fleur pairing

4. merchantofam

merchantofam Fifth Year DLP Supporter

So far most of the chapters have been nothing more than fluff, far from the standard that one would expect from DobbyElfLord. However, he did hint at the story gathering momentum so I would not recommend the story as something to read till the plot has picked up significantly. I do not know about the Harry/Fleur pairing, but it seems a likely scenario. Although, it would be a little refreshing if Dobby would create a more dynamic character for Harry's love intresets. In the previous story there was no characterization of Sarah Underhill, most of the time it seemed she was created for the sake of creation. I wouldn't recommend that Harry become 'hen-pecked' but a strong feminine character would certanily bring new blood to the story, even more so if said character happened to a completely new character.

5. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Next chapter's out, and it seems ok. Not spectacular, but the plot is moving a little through the filler transitional phase.

Also there may be Harry/Fleur
    Fleur turned on Harry with a mock scowl. “Don’t encourage her! Or I will see that you need a physical too, Monsieur Potter!”
    Before Harry could come back, Michele spoke up. “Oh please. You’ve wanted to give Gramps a physical every since that dinner in Switzerland. Gabrielle noticed it that night too.”
    Harry’s jaw dropped as Fleur whirled on Michele in surprise. “You little witch!” Fleur yelled as the young girl ran laughing into the tent.

6. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

The note at the bottom has me kinda worried. Bobmin as one the favorite authors. I remember reading their shit long time ago before I developed any sense of what a decent fic was. All NamachHarry. (its no longer super Harry its NamachHarry)

7. Montclair

Montclair First Year

Next chapter's out. It's more of a revelation chapter coupled with lot of fighting scenes. We finally get to learn why harry's family was targeted and who's behind the whole scene. It's a bit let down, but with demons appearance the story may pick up once again.

8. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Well it was this or some random OC behind the scenes, so I suppose this is the better option. I just don't get the same epic feel from this story as I got from Altered Destinies. Maybe it's just the fact that it's the same story dragged on too long, I don't know.

I was sort of hoping that Harry and Tom would have to go all Dark Lord on everyone, but it seems that they'll continue being the untainted good guys.

Oh well.

9. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Chapter 16 is out.

Guh...the cliches. It was all Michelle, Fleur and the Sasquatches in this chapter. Michelle has crossed the boundary from OC to glorified SUE. I dont think I can read this anymore.

10. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Its updated, finally.

I admit I had mt doubts after the magical pilgrimage, the fact Michele is a veela/human/Sasquatch, and the phoenix bonding. But this chapter seems to have most things back on track, here is to hoping that decent into fangirl clinche's turns out to be a essential part of a fascinating and brilliant twist to the plot.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  11. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Quoted and bolded for emphasis. I dont have high hopes for this fic anymore. In my little world, this series ended when Altered Destinies ended.