1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Batmafia #2

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Koalas, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Atum

Atum DA Member DLP Supporter

1. Ledger >> All impostors. Like whoa.
    2. Batman: The Animated series was the best ever
    3. We don't have to worry about Bane & Penguin at the same time? Otherwise not really. The villain's can't accidentally kill each other anymore and without a vig role the Penguin doesn't even need his perma-protection.
    4. Riddler
    5. I've played a game or two. Or three.

---------- Post automerged at 17:08 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

Without fonti, massclaim isn't even fun.

2. TerRaine

TerRaine Squib

Lyr mind answering too?

3. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hey guys, I'm short on time today. The same will be true until probably the 6th of December after the 4th Anthology editing period closes. I'll post when I can either at the desktop or via mobile but don't expect much in-depth for most of the first IRL week.

1. Personally my favorite of the Joker's I've seen. I barely remember Hamilton in the cartoon, Nicholson kind-of-sort-of did the role justice, but Ledger nailed the darker, grittier rendition.
    2. The camp in Clooney's Batman is wonderful for mocking. CinemaSins in particular takes him apart. For actual entertainment I'd have to run with Bale in Dark Knight, though.
    3. I'd say things should be more inclined toward our favor since the factions were knocked down by 2 - 5 less Scum to hunt. We still have 5 but even so, I can't imagine the havoc 10(4+4+1, & 1 Riddler) could have gotten up to even with week long delays between Days.
    4. Killer Croc or Penguin. Riddler could be in a Day or two if he guesses correctly and manages to put away any of the decent power roles we have.
    5. Riley's Dresden games, Zeit and Lexi's Survivors(if those truly count), and Lexi's Bastard ++ Hurricane Touchdown Suite(ie Aria of Torment).

Isn't massclaim usually frowned upon early in-game?

4. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Yo all! Let's get this thing on the road.

1. It was great, but it's really been overhyped in the last couple years. Hamill!Joker for life.

2. The original animated series. Or, Batman Beyond. Both are valid answers.

3. The loss of so many scum roles can only help the town. If Red Hood especially was still in play, this game would turn into a blood bath real quick. Would still like to play the original setup at some point though.

4. Scum? Probably Two Face. Penguin relies on a good player to be good, Bane focuses on one person for three nights, Croc can be annoying, and Clayface can be downright terrifying if the right people are commited, but Two Face can hammer anyone at anytime.

But to me, The Batman is almost as bad, just due to his aim. If he picks the wrong person to interrogate at night, say Oracle or Canary, then not only has he wasted one of his interrogations, he's removed a good protection role for a night.

5. Merill's Death Eaters 2, I ran Star Wars 2 and the Beginner's Cup, Witch Hunt, Hunt of Thrones, and Survivor 2 (if that counts).

5. ika

ika Temporarily Banhammered

Riley ():
    Snowvon ():
    Aekiel ():
    Citrus ():
    Lyrium (2): Snowvon, Qgqqqqq
    Sloth ():
    TerRaine ():
    Qgqqqqq ():
    Vesvius ():
    Nemrut ():
    Atum ():
    His fluffiness (1): Quanksor
    Quanksor (1): His fluffiness

Schrodinger ():
    Zenzao ():
    Fishy Justice ():
    Kento Kraitos (1): Citrus

Not Voting (12) Riley, Aekiel, Lyrium, Sloth, TerRaine, Vesvius, Nemrut, Atum, Schrodinger, Zenzao, Fishy Justice, Kento Kraitos

17 Alive, 9 to lynch

Mod notes:
    Colors only exist for showings so players can easily see who has votes as well as who has highest votes

6. Quanksor

Quanksor Muggle

As long as the Riddler is around, I don't, although it raises some interesting D1 scenarios. For instance:

Everybody claims D1,with the mafia and the Riddler lying about their roles.
    12 town + 5 scum mean that 5 roles are repeated in the massclaim.
    The Riddler could easily kill the seven players who were not counterclaimed, but the mafia would still know immediately that he was one of two players.
    So, despite appearances, massclaiming D1 is a wonderful way to ensure that the Riddler gets killed. The problem, of course, is getting town to survive being tied with the mafia. Assuming the Riddler played it safe and waited until the last minute to claim, there is a good chance we could get on more even ground with the mafia before the endgame, especially with the Oracle protecting one of the townfirms each night.

I would definitely like to see some discussion on this topic.

7. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Sorry, I mean, why do you think massclaim would be a good strategy without the riddler? Seems to me like it would just let the Mafia target the good roles. But then, I was never an expert on Mafia theorycrafting.

8. Atum

Atum DA Member DLP Supporter

Massclaimimg is the easiest way to force people to lie and like the flavor says the name of the game is figuring out who's lying and who's not. Whether or not it's an appropriate strategy is up for debate but the merit of having counterclaimed roles is pretty clear.

On the other hand I don't think that the town has the power to take advantage of a massclaim considering we're mostly investigative and protective roles with zero kill potential outside of the lynch, while it's already been pointed out that the scum team has an abundance of kills both day and night.

That's without considering the Riddler, who pretty much guarantees that massclaim consideration should be tabled anyway. Oh, and then there's Clayface to worry about once we get him.

9. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Unvote

Thanks for rolling town, Lyrium.

1. Beautiful, beautiful.
    2. I don't really watch Batman. Oops
    3. Well, now there's only one scumteam instead of two, so that's nice for us.
    4. The bad ones! Bane scares me the most though. Like I get he takes thousands of years to take one player down but being stalked is just ew.
    5. Several games, including one scum game I like to pretend didn't actually happen.

10. Quanksor

Quanksor Muggle

Well, we have 12 town, and 4 scum of we are not including the Riddler.
    If everybody claimed, we would have 8 townfirms and 8 possible scum, as opposed to 16 possible scum.
    With our info roles and roleblocking, it would probably be possible to force a mechanical victory at that point, without even considering non-mechanical scumhunting.
    However, as long as we are not 100% sure the Riddler is dead, massclaiming is a bad idea.
    We need to bring this back up around day 3-4, or when the Riddler dies.

11. Fluffiness

Fluffiness DA Member

Massclaiming would be a good idea, if not for the Riddler. Once he's dead, then its worth considering, but definitely not before then.

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thus we come to the conclusion that the reason the Riddler is in the game is to prevent massclaims.

1) Best. Joker. Ever.
    2) Batman: The Animated Series was a major part of my childhood.
    3) I don't know what roles are gone, but I have noticed that we're down to just our lynch for killing off scum. That's a fairly major disadvantage for us, though it is offset a bit by Black Canary and Catwoman. We're strong on the information front though, which makes things a lot easier for us in the long run. I'd say this set up is weighted in our favour. The Riddler is a wild card as always, though.
    4) In this set up? Penguin, no doubt. Town is pretty focused on info roles so any role that subverts that is going to be a problem for us. Otherwise, Killer Croc, for similar reasons.
    5) Bunch of games on DLP.

13. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Oh. Huh. I never thought about it that way. I guess in a game with named roles, massclaiming has an advantage. I hadn't considered that.
    Anyways, since asking people questions is popular:
    What do you think is the least useful town role?

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Red Robin, another easy one. He's like Nightwing, only less useful.

15. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

Odd that we tried to make this into and Endless-based Emperor-Joker-rip flavor game, as I don't really relate the Endless to Batman. Odd, but not bad.

1. The best contribution the Nolan films gave to Batman.

2. Brave and Bold was stupid. I don't know why it made me chuckle the few times I watched it.

3. I didn't really bother reading any of the game set-ups until the game actually started so I don't know who huge a difference there is between this and the 30-player version. On the surface, I suppose one Mafia party to kill is better than two.

4. Batman could be hideously detrimental.
    All Penguin really needs to do to win is not be the most lynchable player.
    Clayface's threat is obvious.
    Two-Face is a one-shot threat.
    Riddler is only a threat is we got a good player-reader playing...so if Riley's Riddler, it's a good thing Fonti switched out. XD
    Bane's...really not too big a threat.

5. Yo.

---------- Post automerged at 04:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 AM ----------

VOTE HIS FLUFFINESS

Someone's not reading flavor.

---------- Post automerged at 04:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 AM ----------

Actually keeping up this time around, huzzah.

16. Kento Kraitos

Kento Kraitos Muggle

I have become late to the party right off the bat.
    1. I liked Heath Ledgers rendition of Joker. It was a quite good performance of light insanity.
    2. I really enjoyed Batman Forever. I know a lot of people have problems with it, mostly because of the Bane thing. It was the first Batman representation I have seen, and it had Jim Carrey in it.
    3. I see a few differences for the 17 man.

-Batman no longer has committals. Can't commit town accidentally, but he also can't commit scum.
    -No Huntress, Same as Batman for reasoning.
    -No Commissioner Gorgon, which means that if he was voluntarily committed or mis-committed we aren't safe during the night phase.
    -Deadman's information gathering has been reduced from what I can tell from three to one and doesn't reveal additional info now.
    -No Martian Manhunter to reveal himself and lead the charge in lynching someone with his 3 votes.
    -No GDP officers. They would be really big in a smaller game like this.
    -No Batgirl. Really useful information role.
    -No Azareal.

-No Hush. Only good for Red Hood/Riddler.
    -No Poison Ivy. No roleblocks for the scum.
    -Two Face doesn't commit himself in the 17 man only reveals, but he must make his before a majority is reached.
    -Clayface. Can choose assaulted players in the 17 man but not in the 30.
    -No Scarecrow.

-The Riddler can repeat his guesses within 3 days in the 17 man.

Town has a few disadvantages in that they have no committals now and their information gathering has been lessened.
    Although the scum can not gather information or roleblock unless they become Bane's crew.
    The Riddler can guess a protected character right, have it revealed that he guessed it right(without that person becoming committed because of protection as I understand) and then guess that person again in the following phase if they don't become protected again.
    It seems as evenly made for town as it can be, being reduced down from a 30 man, other then the scum getting all their available committal roles, and the guess timer taken from The Riddler.

4. In the event of a mass-claiming, The Riddler. Becaused from the way I'm reading others posts he can commit half the prisoners(? players? pawns?) D1. Otherwise Penguin seems like the biggest threat to town in the 17 man.

5.No experience, past reading some of the stuff here and there. Oh and listening to a small amount of experiences from friends.

VOTE: Citrus
    You have not, but hopefully you will be seeing more of me.

---------- Post automerged at 12:09 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

Also I will apologize right now for any walls of text that I post. I have a couple of hours each day I'm able to read and give a reply. I also find it easier to post everything I have to say at once instead of jotting it down in multiple posts.

17. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

1. Favorite Live Joker.
    2. The old Adam West show is what I grew up on.
    3. Meh
    4. Would have to say sandman.
    5. A lot.

18. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Vote: Riley

19. Fluffiness

Fluffiness DA Member

Really Riley? It would be nice if you could actually provide your opinions instead of avoiding the questions.

20. TerRaine

TerRaine Squib

S'a good scum hunting tool.

I also don't think we should be giving scum a big "Do not waste a commit" list.