1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Batman vs. Superman

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Nov 14, 2013.

1. meev

meev Groundskeeper

Well that's good, because nobody cares about you either.

2. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Personal attacks aren't really wanted or desired here. If you really want to get into a spat, take it to PMs please, both of you.

As for Stewart over Jordan: If it really is The Rock playing it, I'm not sure it's the better choice but he surprised me in Stand Tall and the Fast and Furious Franchise so I'm hoping for delightfully surprised but expecting meh. If they do go for someone else I really think that Idris Elba would be a much better Stewart overall, and since it's DC not Marvel he could totally do it.

3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why the fuck is Green Lantern even being considered for this movie. Superman and Batman. That's all you need. They're jumping the gun on the Justice League.

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe the want to reverse the Marvel formula. Do the Justice League movie first, then move on to individual stories. Which is dumb, because how are they going to set up and introduce everyone and a big bad villain in one 2/2,5 hour movie?

5. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

They can do it just as every other team movie does. It wasn't suppose to be a team movie though.

6. D-Sloopo

D-Sloopo Second Year

Why would you rather Hal Jordan then, at least try to explain that. I can think of at least three other lanterns who I'd rather see take the GL spot than Hal.

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

There is only one true Green Lantern and it's Alan Scott.

8. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

If you're going to hold out for someone, hold out for Kyle Rayner.

9. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

So many names, yet the most familiar one is the Rock.
    I thought the Green Lantern thing was a joke. I don't know about his merit as an actor, but he'll always just be the rock to me.
    "Can you smell what the Rock's cookin', Sinestro?"
    "God, YES, I CAN SMELL IT, now shut the f**k up already."
    It'll be a new kind of movie.

Actually I think it could be a brilliant move, if pulled correctly (probably won't be).
    Right now, DC is behind, Marvel left it on the dust with Avengers, and they need to get into that market, so why not bipass Marvel's build up and just skip to the prize, take the cheap way in?
    They don't have to give them backstory and interest--before Avengers, I had seen neither Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, nor The Hulk. Still haven't seen the last two. You don't particularly NEED them.
    But the movie could make interest spark, so when they get their own stand-alones, people will be more invested in that.
    Or not. People are fickle and DC has a steep hill to climb to do this correctly to begin with.

That's just presumptious. What if I care about him? I don't.

10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Because I've read the comics?

11. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ^ That's not much of an answer.

I've liked Hal Jordan in the New Frontier comic/movie and the First Flight movie, but in the other stuff I've seen or read he seems more like a background character, or just kind of an idiot. John Stewart was good in JLU, I don't really know about anywhere else. If I had to choose between them for a movie I'd probably go with Hal. But these days we need to have diversity quotas and shit so, they'll probably go with Stewart just based on that.

The other two, Kyle Raynor or Guy Gardner, I don't know a lot about firsthand. They probably wouldn't be considered anyway.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  12. D-Sloopo

D-Sloopo Second Year

What about Hal Jordan makes him much more interesting to you than Stewart, Raynor, or Gardner? Because they were also in the comics as well.

13. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Let me see if I can give a better answer.

Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) is my personal favorite from DC (obligatory Batman notwithstanding). The Green Lantern Corps in general fascinates me. Because of this, I have read every single Green Lantern comic I could find (with or without Hal Jordan). I have read stories with all of them, individually and as a group. I know their backstories, their characters, enemies, etc. I've watched the movies as well, but all of them were immediately forgettable, though not bad.

Even ignoring the fact that Hal Jordan is the original Green Lantern (of the corps, not Alan Scott) and the other human Lanterns are replacements in one form or another, I consider Jordan the more interesting character, the more fun to read, the better developed one, take your pick. His storylines are more developed, he gets massively more showtime, and it helps that he is basically the strongest Lantern alive.

In the vast majority of Justice League iterations, Hal Jordan has been the resident Green Lantern. That's not to say the others haven't had stints. Everyone knows Stewart did the DCAU, but he's shown up in the comics Justice League as well, as have Gardner and Kyle for brief periods.

That is why I like Hal Jordan, and why I believe using anyone other than him in a Justice League movie would be a travesty. I would not be opposed to introducing more than one Green Lantern, but it would ge good to follow at least a semblance of canonical timeline regarding the various human GLs and their appearances.

Edit: I guess my TL;DR is this: I would no more tolerate a different Lantern than I would Grayson as Batman, or Bucky as Captain America, or fucking Doc Oc as Spiderman.

Edit2: Fyi, Sinestro is a fucking amazing character.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  14. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Having also read the comics, I can't fucking stand Hal Jordan. He's not a particularly bad character, but he's not one I like and the stuff they've had him get away with really gets under my skin.

But then again, my favourite Green Lantern has always been Guy Gardner (who may have been an asshole but was at least a compelling asshole), so take that opinion with a grain of salt.

15. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

I really tried to see the appeal of Hal and John. But they always felt really flat compared to Kyle and Guy.

16. Sloth

Feel the same way with Barry compared to Wally.
    I wonder if he might be in the movie too.

Actually going by the line-up right now, might they be going the JL cartoon way?

17. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I've never read any Green Lantern comic but I have read up on them and Hal does undergo one of the most interesting stories in DC so I think using him in the movies for that set up would be a good move that would pay off immensely for them but that doesn't mean they can't still do it by introducing him later as the first human Green Lantern.

Republic, give him a chance maybe they'll do right by you.

18. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

All discussion of which GL is the best aside, I think you guys are missing the obvious reason to use Stewart over Hal - the recent Green Lantern movie. It's pretty obvious why they'd want to distance themselves from that travesty of a movie, and using a whole new character is a good way to do that. This way no casual viewers will think the previous Green Lantern movie is part of the new continuity DC is trying to make.

I'm really hoping that any involvement of other Justice League members is kept to a minimum though. I feel like trying to introduce them all in one movie is never going to work, especially when they're also trying to introduce a new Batman with the Nolan version fresh on people's minds. There just isn't enough screen time for everyone.

19. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    While the recent GL movie was lackluster, that doesn't mean the character is bad. It means that the execution was poor. I don't think anyone needs to be reminded of this, considering the number of terrible films about, well, everything (most notably Batman).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  20. Sloth

That probably IS what they're planning in my mind. Back-up, and help with the final boss, after occasional scene, so it's not out of nowhere.
    I actually never saw the green lantern movie.