1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Battle School Mafia

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I have very little time, so I will try to make it count with concentrated posts.

Odd mention, IMO.

Says the guy who referenced a movie and then completely missed the callback quote. :facepalm

Could be either:

1. Chainsaw-defending Smile (it looked like it, Kalas).
    2. Annoyance at the somewhat arrogant feel of the post, also found in this:

3. Still feeling butthurt from last game.

I'm getting bad vibes from fontisian's post #48, but that could just as easily be me still feeling butthurt from last game.

...meh.

...double meh.

Day 1 distancing-looking posts should be taken with a huge chunk of salt unless they actually lead to a lynch (or redirect one). As for Rubicon, he's acting like town, which of course could be just an act, but that still would be more than most of the other players give off now, IMO.

And Wetnurse's reasoning is not understandable, nor "classic DLP-lolz" like Rubicon stated in some other post. I honestly don't remember anyone ever bringing up actually lynching randomly as a viable strategy. Day 1 no-lynches, sure, but that's it. Wetnurse backpedaling (or maybe simply clarifying) in a following post doesn't look good either. Nor does the fact that few people commented on this and that they were very mellow about it.

Vote: Wetnurse

For taking too little heat for an honestly bad suggestion and for the bad suggestion itself.

And now let's move on to that clusterfuck that is Smile's game:

followed 3 minutes later by:

which somewhat reeks of Smile hinting at a conversation/post/message about the subject, maybe with Rubicon or the mod or whatever. It could both be read as town thinking he could metagame to a victory or as scum thinking he had already been revealed. Little thing.

Overexcited, bumbling town or derp-rolefishing scum?

The defensiveness is strong in this one. Derp-town if I ever saw one, but I've been burnt before.

2. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

What can I say? I called heads on the oblivious coin and flipped tails. >_>

3. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Well, I did explain the core "Vanilla Town vs Vanilla Mafia" concept as well. She seemed interested in the concept of Mafia games overall, and ended up relating it to a Star Trek episode she saw once. Then proceeded to hypothesize on the future of society as a whole, in a consideration of technology vs physical activity.

All in all, a strange conversation, and... not really relevant, so I think I'll end it here.

---------- Post automerged at 03:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 AM ----------

Above was to Smile, referencing the aforementioned outside-of-game stuff, of course.

4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

One half of the posts are random nonsense and the second half is overexcited overanalysing of the nonsense. In other words, it doesn't lead anywhere.

fonti, your last entry has to read fontisian unvote Rubicon (3) vote Typhon (2). And because I don't like Rubicon using acronyms instead of taking the time to spell stuff out, it's four again.

Vote: Rubicon

5. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Okay, thoughts.

First, in response to fontisian (and to a lesser degree, Rubicon), I seem more indecisive than last game because I /am/ less decisive. Last game I had the luxury of starting 2 or 3 game days into things, so I could be fairly confident in my reads. That, and I was so sure that you were town that it still smarts. Between the two, I'm going for caution this time. You are right, though; it's time to start actually utilizing my vote. With that in mind:

Unvote
    Vote: Bill Door

Bill, you've posted a few times, but they've all been short posts with almost no substance. I want to see you get in the game a little more, give justification, something! Frankly, the same goes for Menace and Schrodinger, but Bill is the worst, IMO, because his posts are throughout the day instead of being clumped at the beginning. It smells of following the game without comment.

For that matter, where are Jwlk and LochNess? Or Riley? Stojil gets a pass because his post was solid, and he said he was going to be hard pressed to post.

I think that's all I've got for now.

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Okay, I'm here and playing in between Dwarf Fortress sessions. As it is I've got minimal reads, given that I don't particularly take much notice of reads on day one. What's important at this stage is that someone gets lynched that we can use to work out who to lynch on day two.

Information is god in this game, so we want as much as we can. On that note, random lynching is right out. It takes away the advantage of information and loses us a player. If we get lucky it would be scum, but scum are always (in decent games) the minority so the chances are low. No lynch is also out because it robs us of information and puts us back on square one come day two, only we're missing an almost guaranteed town player (there may be a third party in this, can't be sure).

So, given that, I'll Vote: Wetnurse for now.

7. CrashLTD

CrashLTD Fifth Year

@All the posts about why random lynching is a bad idea: Your posts have been very informative. I must admit that RL for the sake of RL is a pretty stupid idea. I still believe though that any vote on Day 1 is still an RL until someone's head gets chopped off. After the lynch, it stops being an RL and becomes solid information.

My derpy suggestion of RLing, aside I have a few questions.

@Typhon: Why go through all the trouble of attacking me on #38 but not bothering to put a vote on me?

@Rubicon: Why did you soft-claim Ender Wiggin?

@Fen: Why vote for Rubicon at a time when the wagon on him started to accelerate?

Rescind Vote
    Vote: Typhon for being non-committal on post #38.

8. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Right, some disjointed thoughts.

Fontisian is giving me some weird Deja vu from the last game. She's acting all towny and stuff which is making me suspicious.

Smileofthekill has spent way too much time talking about stuff that has absolutely no relevance to this game, and that sets my scummy senses tingling.

And then there's this which is either a really bad choice of words or some role fishing.

And for the life of me I can't think of why Aekiel wouldn't make this list, of you were taking the time to point out people who had posted but not really contributed.

Rescind Vote

Vote: Smileofthekill because no one town should want to spend that many words defending themselves on day 1.

9. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Well, because it was a dumb idea. Random lynching was a bad plan, and I wanted to say so, in case you might've swayed enough to do it. I didn't vote for you, frankly, because we have (had) 96 hours, and I didn't find it to be a super scum slip, just a derp. I'm more worried about Smile and the lurkers at the moment than you, although, like I said, my eye is on you.

The question Fen was asked is one I'd like answered as well, though.

---------- Post automerged at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Bill: Touché. I missed him. I am mollified by a bit by your and Aekiel's posting, however. I'm gonna leave my vote for now, but you're less suspicious, at least to me.

10. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I don't like your first paragraph. You decry random lynching but say you haven't any real reads, which doesn't exactly help us in terms of information post-lynch. Your vote appears to be solely on the basis of Wetnurse's statements about random lynching, and as such you avoid talking about anyone else. In fact, you don't really talk about Wetnurse either, given your second paragraph is basically regurgitating basic gameplay. Your vote gives us little to no information regarding you no matter what Wetnurse flips as, except that if he is scum you aren't on the same team (and even that is suspect depending on the situation).

I disagree with this. Distancing posts can be pre-emptive just as much as preventive. Day 1 of the previous game had this, IIRC. Leading to a lynch or redirecting one are just instances of scum distancing as a reactive measure, which is not the only situation in which they may try to pull that. Even in Day 1 - hell, especially in Day 1, when initial impressions are formed and there's no other interaction to go on, that kind of byplay could be a pretty good plan.

Bill Door being suspicious of fontisian for being town is weird, not least because she hasn't really given off that much of a town vibe outside of #48, and even in that post it's not exactly stellar town - more just decent discussion. Beyond that, there's a push on Smile, who's already on the back foot, and against Typhon, the one voting for him. Not looking great, honestly, especially given the lack of content in the other posts. Bill, what other reads do you have? What is your opinion regarding Wetnurse?

Typhon, what else do you have? You mention Smile in #65, who else? What are your thoughts on Rubicon now? The lurkers need to be brought in, yes, but pressuring players that are already here is also crucial. Also, it's Day 1, and we have a long time. Caution is overrated.

Smile is, yeah, way too focused on the attacks on him and hasn't really said anything beyond deflecting them. Smile, some thoughts on other players might go a long way towards alleviating that.

Vote: SmileOfTheKill

We have quite a long day, so hopefully the lurkers won't be that much of a problem.

11. Aekiel

High Score:
    I did it mostly to get a response out of Wetnurse, since one vote can be ignored or hand waved off fairly easily. A second vote is much more substantial and will possibly make scum panic, and possibly make a mistake.

That said, I'm getting a fair read of derp town from him now and this post doesn't read scummy to me at all. The reasoning for voting Typhon does seem a bit spurious, but I'm willing to drop the vote for the moment.

Unvote

Not entirely sure who to vote for in place of him though, since I'm getting a derp town read from Smile as well and basically null reads from everyone else. I'm better once I've got stuff I can actually analyse. Experience has shown me time and again that my gut feelings on day one are essentially random chance in action.

12. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Alright, fair enough. Rubicon/Kalas had a fun game of back and forth when they first started to go on me. While both of them were doing the part of being overzealous town, they also did the part of distancing themselves from each other. Considering that everything about it felt fake however, I'm more inclined to think they are not on the same team, but one of them being scum is entirely possible.

Menace latest posts have all have no substance in them, and so did Sesc in a way. These are not really saying much about the players, but it is annoying.

Fen is, well I love Fen from a previous Mafia game. Besides that, he is doing the post smaller things that are all safe and the like. This is safe, and it could be anything from a town to a scum to a cookie monster behind that type of play. Also for talking too much with him? That F/S Night Mafia was the most amazing thing.

Aekiel though confused me. Is it considered the day one lynch to be town or a scum thing? I've seen so many arguments about it I thought it was considered town even with the odds he brought up.

Bill Door and Stoji have been hyper aggressive as well, but I remember Stoji is known for that one. Moridin is following that up well with his own aggression. Basic town stuff so it could be basic scum stuff as well.

Typhon is a durp along with Wetnurse. Typhon has done his own share of aggression and so has Wetnurse, but I'm more amused at Wetnurse. Like Aekiel, Wetnurse has said some funny stuff, but then again so have I.

I dunno, I'm still looking and I am kinda bad at these games.

13. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There have been mafia games with alternate wincons. What is odd about me considering the possibility? I mean, heck, for all we know there's a neutral character called Bugger Queen that wins if the first day is a no lynch. We have very, very little information and that makes me uncomfortable.

Oi. I came up with a good, coherent strategy for first day lynches. It's not my fault no one listened to me.

14. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

The extra talk about information when the subject had already been covered gives me the impression that Aekiel is just trying to appear helpful without, you know, actually helping. The "for now" avoids comittement and gives him an easy out if case he wants to rescind later. Moridin put the other problems with this post well in post 70.

Vote: Aekiel

That said, I am tempted to go after Wetnurse for only voting for people who are already under a lot of pressure. He put the third vote on Rubicon, and then put a third vote on Typhon.

Sesc: Thanks. Would you mind adding to the overexcited overanalyzing?

---------- Post automerged at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Alright, that's a reasonable explanation.

15. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I didn't realize anyone would take my "claim" seriously. In the future I'll make an effort to label jokes as such at the time, to avoid confusion.

Point taken about the arrogant feel. However, do you really think that's a good explanation for why Kalas is doing what he's doing? I think it's far more likely to be a reaction to me calling him out as scum on page 1, and not because me calling him scum is "arrogant", but because for some reason he felt compelled to attack me back. He keeps pointing out that I was taking "shots in the dark" at Smile in order to characterize me calling him scum as a "shot in the dark" too.

(I actually don't think that exchange looks like Kalas defending a partner, though.)

By the way, what specifically do you not like about font's post? Also why did you settle on Smile being "derp-town" instead of "derp-scum"?

That was actually me trying to maintain pressure on Smile because of his defensiveness, not "establish towncred". But I actually think #37 was a good post.

OMGUS

Okay, but you're notably calling out these players for a non-tell (lurking) instead of because you think they're scummy. Have you really not been able to pick up on anyone being scummy so far? I'm skeptical.

16. Bill Door

I have Wetnurse down as derpy town, who just chose a poor wording when he suggested a random lynch, I'm assuming he didn't actually mean he wanted to vote for a name picked out of a hat.

I'm suspicious of Fontisian because anytime I've played with her and haven't wanted to lyncher her by day 1 she's been scum.

As for other reads; Rubicon looks town; as does Kalas; Schrodinger does not, posting a lot with little relevance.

17. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Vote Count 1.1

Aekiel (3) SmileOfTheKill, Menace, Fontisian
    Rubicon (3) Schrodinger, Fenraellis, Sesc
    SmileOfTheKill (3) Kalas, Bill Door, Moridin
    Typhon (2) Rubicon, Wetnurse
    Bill Door (1) Typhon
    Schrodinger (1) Rents
    Wetnurse (1) Uncle Stojil

Abstaining (4) Aekiel, Jwlk, LochNess, Riley Poole

With 18 alive, it is 10 to Hard Lynch and 6 to Soft Lynch

18. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

what do you like about Kalas?

19. Bill Door

He's been thinking critically and hasn't been afraid of confrontation.

20. Aekiel

High Score:
    I'm being that way because I've been doing other things today and have devoted most of my free time to Dwarf Fortress and getting shit ready for my RPG session tonight. I'll have more time tomorrow, so I'll do some analysis and post stuff that's not based on gut feeling then.