1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Behind Blue Eyes by Paffy - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by That_Boy, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Cthulu

Cthulu Unintelligent Bigot

The admins are going to hate you Darke Gray, posting in dead topics is NOT allowed.

2. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

This isn't giving a very good impression your giving us my freind, if you don't bother to respect the site by reading the rules you'll soon find that the site won't respect you.

Necro posting = bad

3. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

Lol.

Did you just bump an old topic?

4. The Hungry Basilisk

The Hungry Basilisk Raptured to Hell

I concur...... and am to damned lazy to write my own opinions down after drinking rum and coke all night without any sleep.

Hair of the dog and then sleep.

Knowing I will have horrific nightmares of Harry Potter Mpreg :squick::eek: :wizard:

5. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Ahh, this story. I've been reading it since like ch20 came out or so. Excellent story here. Although the updates are once a month, it's a good story, good description and action parts.

6. vsd2oc

vsd2oc Guest

I don't know, I really enjoyed what have seen of it so far. Its different from a lot of stories in that its exploring different views on the whole Harry as to safe the world business. I reckon if someone told me I would/could save the world, I'll tell fuck em, then I'd go get drunk. So maybe Harry doesn't want to save anything, he just (like me) wants to get... eh... drunk, laid whatever. The story is fucking refreshing. Don't reckon its in the right section of the site though. Maybe it should be moved to romance...

Come to think, this could just be a very long prologue to the good stuffs... You know Harry finally having a good reason to improve himself. We can agree that we've all read fics were Harry's motivated by canon and non-canon but powerful characters, maybe this is just some different...

In all this drabble I've lost my point.

Good story. Wrong section.

Strange how its got a five star rating.

7. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

The story was so promising at the beginning.

Then Harry turned into a dumbass retard and the story started revolving around Emo!Tonks and her werewolf mate Remus-the-Perfect!Guy

8. Quill Runner

Quill Runner First Year

I agree with a lot of what's been said here, which might lead one to wonder why I would post at all.

This fic had a pretty strong beginning, because Harry was actually doing things. They may not have been great things, but they were things nonetheless. Sneaking out, hanging with Kitty, telling Remus to fuck off.

I even liked the R/T element, because it was pretty minor on the scale of things, and was a nice contrast to the bland R/T tack-ons that pervade fanfiction. It wasn't all about Remus being a werewolf, which anybody with two brain cells can tell is one of those faux-angst conflicts that never manifests itself in any tangible way. Just once, I'd like to see Remus turn out to be some dirty old pervert who then gets axed for trying to bite little girls while in his werewolf form.

Anyway, the story switched gears at some point, where, suddenly, I got to the end of a chapter and realized that Harry was no longer the protagonist. Kitty had somehow become the hero, and, while I don't mind OCs, putting one front and center isn't my thing.

I agree with VSD that this Harry really isn't independent at all. There should be a "Dependent Harry" section on this site. Oh right, I forgot. We've got that already. It's called the Trash Bin.

QR

9. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I loved this story. True, after a time the focus shifted from Harry to Kitty but with the premise of this story, it would have been boring to see Harry doing the same things as in the book while ignoring her. The best part of this story, to me, were the characters. They were not some caricatures or two dimensional beings but rather well rounded and realistic persons that I liked to read about. We knew why the persons did what they did even though we didn't necessarily agree with it. It also adds that Kitty was a character that I liked and that the story was well written.

But my favorite scene has to be where
    Dumbledore stops the bullet in the last second while saying how old and slow he has become. I know that the scene was overly dramatic and all that but I can't help but love the hell out of that scene, everything worked perfectly and I could picture it in my head and it was just awesome. Pure epicness from Dumbledore. He and Ron were especially well written

But I have to agree that, the story was slow at times and the Remus/Tonks part could be a bit boring and tedious at some points but overall it was a great story and it kept me hooked. Ending might have been a bit sappy but come on, we were reading this for a sappy ending. We wanted and expected that.

A very high 4/5

10. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I've said this many times, but this story had immense potential. Unfortunately, it went downhill when the author decided to make Harry even weaker than he is in Canon.

The Remus/Tonks should have been completely avoided, and the 'street life' scenes should have probably been extended some more. It was a pretty great story until they go back to Hogwarts. I was always hoping that Harry would use danger to Kitty's life as a catalyst to become stronger (using the Power of Love excuse).

I wasn't asking for Super!Harry, but still...

5/5 for the first half. 1/5 for the second.

Anyone know any other good Harry/OC stories?

11. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I see your point but at the same time, there was no real need to stay further on the street, she (I guess the author was female) would have just made it longer for the sake of it and that would have caused a drop in quality as well. On the other hand I enjoyed the time at Hogwarts, the mistrust against a muggle, especially one so nonconservative as Kitty and the problems she faced there. But yes, seeing Harry become stronger than canon would have been a better plot point after the Hogwarts scene happened you are right. I was a bit disappointed that she followed Book 6 and 7 as well although it could have been worse. I still enjoyed it though.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2460400/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_Burden_of_Becoming

This one, I think, was pretty good. The only weak point I remember was
    Ron's contrived mistrust against Black people in order for them to have a big row
    Other than that I think it was fine, had an unique view on the house relationships, especially with one Slytherin.

But I bet you know this one already.

12. Salah

Salah Card Captored and buttsecksed

It was too angsty for me... It just pushed me in the wrong way and I had to stop reading it once they got to Hogwarts. It was implied that she was whoring herself. It's one of my pet peeves. The whole story was just stupid, Harry finds this slut on the street and all of a sudden loves her. Some parts of it didn't make sense, like why the hell would he keep coming back to her if she was no good? The part where Harry was so weak he couldn't face 'lower level' death eater's was just amazing. How can he expect to kill Voldemort if he can't kill his Minions? This is about the first fic that I've seen Harry that weak, and that's saying something.

2/5

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  13. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

If I recall, from way back when I read this, I had to read through that section more than once to make sure of what was going on.

I'm fairly certain that she was actually just selling them drugs, though the vague way the author referred to that whole part of the story made it sometimes sound a bit like she was selling herself, instead.

If she was prostituting herself, then the author was exceedingly evasive about it, to the point of obscuring the matter entirely, and completely misleading the readers. Also, she seems far too... chaste in most of her dealings with Harry to be a whore.

14. Salah

Did they ever actually reveal what she was selling?

15. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

She had a bag of coke, IIRC.

16. Salah

No, I mean if she was selling herself, the drugs, or even both.
    PS: What is IIRC?

17. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

If I Recall Correctly

I started to read this fic back when it was new - and back then I loved the idea of Harry just running away with an OC (at the same time Abraxan started "The Refiners Fire" with a similar important Muggle-OC). And of course in all these fics Harry had to realise he'd never be able to flee from Voldemort and his minions. I really loved the scene which had Paffy shooting a few Death Eaters with a pistol.

But then I happened to stumble across triofics. But then the plot moved to Hogwarts and it became boring. Slow updates, other far more interesting fics to read, changed interests in fanfiction made me forget about this story.

Nowadays I would rate it 3/5.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  18. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Ah. In regard to that, I'm afraid I can only refer you back to post 33.

19. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Harry's OC girlfriend is drug dealer? o_O

20. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Desperate angst calls for desperate measures. :awesome