1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Benefits of Seven Fragments?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BartucTheBloody, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Wisdom's Mountain

Wisdom's Mountain Sixth Year

I don't think Voldemort cares how much "chocolate" he has, only the fact that he has it. He only cares that part of his soul remains attached to the Earth so that he cannot leave completely. If Voldemort split his soul a million times into tiny tiny pieces, wouldn't each Horcrux be as powerful and useful as if Voldemort only split his soul once?

Of course, we don't know if the number of times a soul is split affects the horcrux-maker, but we might find out next book.

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Splitting your soul has got to be dangerous. I'm guessing there is a point of no return, where once you cross that number, you've fucked yourself. Just like anything else, spreading something that much just isnt worth it.

He obviously believes seven Horcruxes will do something. What exactly? We have no idea. At all. It's all in what he believes, not anyone else.

True, but it's not like they have much else to go on, do they? Might as well go with something.

3. david9

david9 Banned

My first sentence wasn't really towards you, it was more of a leadup to my question about why he doesn't create a Horcrux for every person he makes.

The chocolate analogy isn't really a good one. A better analogy would be: If you have 1 million bars of gold, and you put them in 1million difference places, you'll never be broke.

4. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

A more important question would be how much of your soul you need to be able to function?

We know from the Dementors that losing your soul completely will permanently incapacitate you, but what we don't know is at what point do you go from conscious to comatose.

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Exactly! That's what I was trying to get across. It didnt seem to work. I guess I failed.

That's basically saying he should split it a million times and hide the pieces. First he'd have to kill that many people which is a task in itself, then he'd have to give up his ideas on the number seven meaning anything.

He believes the number seven will do something. That's why he didnt make more. Is it really so hard to understand?

6. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    I've got a crazy idea. Maybe its because seven horcruxes are better than one.

Other than that, does it really matter?

7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I don't know if anyone's said it, so i'll just say it.

Belief is a powerful thing, it is what makes magic possible.

8. Slipher675

Slipher675 First Year

I have been wondering, if someone gets the Dementor's kiss wouldn't that make the Dementor a horcrux? That would be funny. All the Dark Wizards in the world to ever get the Dementor's Kiss come back and the Ministry believes they can win becuase they did it once before 100 plus years ago and they get their collective asses kicked because the Wizards have had centuries of training. But to the point, Maybe that is why he didn't make more than seven, because you need a Dementor that is willing to suck out only a little bit of soul and spit it into an object. That would be like holding a T-Bone steak inches above an Ethiopian's head and letting them taste it before moving it away.

9. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Voldemort likes trophies. He clearly put his soul in trophies. The ring, a slytherin heirloom, the necklace, we dont know what yet, the Diary, an incredible piece of magic. It may be hard to find 7 suitable trophies.

Doesnt dumbledore say that Voldemort is extremely superstisous? Thats probably the reason

10. Wisdom's Mountain

Wisdom's Mountain Sixth Year

I really hope JKR turns the whole "seven is a powerful number" thing into something tangible that would actually help Voldemort, because I just can't see Voldemort doing something for superstitous reasons.

11. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Until the seventh book comes out we are stuck with wondering, dreaming, and other wise racking our brains about it. OR we could just go with that its harder to find 7 than one. and that Tom Riddle is one messed up son of a bitch.

12. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

No.

Making a horcrux means you are splitting your soul and storing a part of it in something else.

A dementor devours your soul whole.

And using the killing curse on someone is what splits your soul according to canon although we don't know exactly what it does to the victim in order to kill them.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The dementor idea is a good one though...

As far as we know, Dementors cannot be destroyed, only driven back.

Therefore, if Voldemort were to let a Dementor eat the soul from one of his horcruxes then it would never be able to be destroyed.

14. Xenon

Xenon Professor

As for whether choice of Seven for the number of Horocruxes has any special powers or not, arithmancy(more commonly known as numerology) is a canon magical field. It is therefore logical to assume that canonically, numbers have magical properties, or at least are widely believed to, and that the choice of the number 7 was not done on a whim.

Whether or not said power will or has been demonstrated in canon is an entirely different matter. If you want to go with a tarot approach, if I remember correctly 7 corresponds to the chariot, or conquest. Maybe hoping to ensure his victory in the war? Rather useless post on my part but meh...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  15. david9

david9 Banned

The thread(at least the OP) isn't about what Voldemort believes, it's about what the benefits are of splitting your soul into 7 pieces versus a million.

Is it really necessary to be an ass, when we're trying to have a discussion about it?

How do we know that splitting your soul more than once incapacitates you? If the AK splits off part of your soul, is creating a Horcrux from that part really any worse than just losing it? We know he's less human now than as a teenager, but is that from rituals/dark magic/killing people or creating Horcruxes?

16. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Sometimes you have to be an ass to get it through some peoples thick skulls.

We only have Voldemort to go off. He is the only one we know of that has split his soul more than once in the Wizarding Worlds history. He has to ask Slughorn to even confirm it could, in theory, be possible.

Saying it'll be better to make more just because there are more doesnt much make sense when magic is involved. Too much of anything is bad for a person.

What if? What if? What if?

What if the moon fell from the sky and hit Voldemort in the head? The point is, we have shit-all information on this subject and we have to try create a theory with what we have, not 'what ifs'.

Does the Killing Curse have to be used? I dont think it does. We were told all they have to do is kill someone in cold blood, or something similar. The Killing Curse just happens to be a favorite of Voldemort's, and definitely the easiest way to go about killing someone.