1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Best Independent Harry FanFiction

Discussion in 'Award Winners 2006' started by Zevrillion, Dec 26, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

.........______________________________________________________________________________

..................[​IMG]

.........______________________________________________________________________________

Best Independent Harry FanFiction

Winner: A Second Chance at Life by Miranda Flairgold
    Runner Up: Shadow Play by Thor Nairda

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I agree with this though not really with the runner up... meh.

3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Agree with the winner 100%.

The runner up is good too, but it's coming out of focus lately - 5000 words / month are just not good enough for a story shooting for the top.

4. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Disagree 100%

I loved ShadowPlay, have it bookmarked. Miranda writes good, but teters between slash and non-slash. Also, she creates incredibly large plots/worlds that are so out there it feels like a different book altogether.

5. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Never could get into Second Chance. Way too far AU for my tastes. The near-slash is a negative also.

6. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

7. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I like Miranda's AU. She put a lot of work in making new magic, characters and setting, while still staying HP compliant. You are all bitching how you're sick of Hogwarts & same all clishes. So here's a story that's introducing something new. What's wrong with that?

Oh and I wouldn't have even noticed semi-slashness if she hadn't announced a slash version after this one is done. I actually apploud her for putting in the effort of removing any romance from her story, if she already can't write het from a guys POV.

Shadow Play would have gotten my vote 5-6 months ago, but it went stagnant and the plot started getting repeative. Harry's leaving but returning, Orion is dead but it's not, Harry's against the Ministry or not... seems like the author is planning only the next 2 chapters in advance and he's doing it acording to his current whims and not to some grand plan of his. Bigger and bigger pauses between updates don't help too.

8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I disagree. I don't see some fic about some guy named Rakhesh going to school in Canada and fighting against Incas being anything near canon compliant.

9. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I think this category is one of those can be so broad, that none of the nominated ones seemed quite like what I wanted Independent!Harry to be. Probably most Dark but Lightsided fics I would have thrown in this category, like IP82 and Fayr Warning's, and I would have preferred. But even still almost all the nominated ones are decent fics, even if none jumped out at me. I may be enjoying The New Order by padfootjr24 the most of these currently, given how far off Miranda's story seems to have gone from the Harry Potter world, and how slow Thor Nairda's story has gotten (and update schedule too). Don't even remember what I voted for. Some decent interesting stories here. None that felt like excellent award winning though.

That and I don't think any of the ones nominated are finished or just about to be.

10. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Full on gotta say i love "second chance" i've stuck with it so im pretty sure it's easyier for me to get into then starting again!

11. Midknight

I agree, for all the rave reviews I'd heard, I read a good chunk of it, and wanted to smack most of the folks who were nutting themselves over this story. When a fic reaches the point where it's far removed from Britian and the normal HP universe stuff, it has no right to be called HP.

Bitching about overused cliches, and keeping canonish compliant are totally different things. Renaming Harry, moving him to a different country, and coming up with basically everything new? You'd be better off making it a damned crossover with something, b/c the only thing that stays Harry Potter... IS Harry Potter... oh n/m sometimes he's also <insert random name here>

12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I was thinking more about Rowling's canon - muggles & wizards, areas of magic etc... stuff like that - she kept all that and then built on top of it.

But yes, I also didn't like that Inca part. Too long & boring, not to mention that characters suddenly forget all about apparating & portkeys. The rest was great, though.

Nonjon: I agree about Independant & Dark often getting mixed up. My story is the perfect example - it's pure Independant!Harry at the moment, with only glimpses of Dark Arts being shown. There should be some action later but I think that Independant! will always be my main genre.

13. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

meh i never really like second chance. . . .so much au. I mean a little hear and there is fine. But when i read like 20 chapters and barely anything from canon besides magic/muggles is mentioned it just kinda gets to me.
    but thats me.

14. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

both of the fics lost me at some point so....o'well

15. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Midknight... did you say you like Black's War? That better not be the same story I'm thinking about where that stupid lesbian bitch goes all psycho and throws Harry into a wall for one comment that didnt even mean anything... I really hate stories that have lesbian chicks beating up on Harry because he says something they dont like. It actually happens a lot which is weird...

He called Tonks a dyke in some story and he got bitch slapped, lol.

16. Midknight

It might be, can't remember quite a bit about it as I've just read multiple chapters of different fics and my brain is mush, lol. I know that given the company it was in I liked it better then the others.

17. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I disagree with the winner, the story is good but got bored of it after the first twelve chapters. Shadow Play, in my opinion, was one of he first real good harry/multi stories but the updates are way to slow..

Not open for further replies.