1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Best SciFi of the last 10 years.

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by KGB, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Honestly, that's about the time I stopped as well, but for me, it was because the character completely regressed, and the writing was atrocious (though a bit better than half the second book, which was all "Tell" and no show).

The funny thing about it is this series has become the first set of books whereby the movies are better than the books.

2. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I haven't yet seen the movies, so I'll ask. Is this just your viewpoint, or do people in general feel this is the case?

3. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I don't know if it's consensus, but I do agree that the flicks are better. Mockingjay Part 1 was the first of the movies that didn't get pretty great reviews, for what it's worth.

4. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Completely my opinion.

5. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

William Gibson?

6. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I've seen the movie am I missing out by not reading the book?

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Andy Weir's The Martian. An astronaut is injured during a dust storm on Mars, and is presumed dead by the rest of his team as they leave. He isn't, and has to try to find a way of surviving on Mars until the next manned mission...in four years time.

One of the best books I read last year. Gripping stuff, compelling central character, and the general consensus seems to be that it's scientifically solid.

8. FriedIce

FriedIce Seventh Year

Honestly I've found the more recent sci-fi pickings to be rather slim. The only thing I'd recc off the top of my head written in the last decade would be Old Man's War which is frankly one of the best military sci-fi I've read, ever.

Something that isn't quite so recent (but is pretty unknown so I doubt you've read it) would be the Saga of Pilocene Exile and its sister series The Galactic Milieu Series both by Julian May. The Saga of Pliocene Exile is about a group of people from the somewhat near future who end up in the past 40,000 years ago.

EDIT: Ohh thinking on it a little more the Vorkosigan Saga is definitely worth a read. Start with The Warrior's Apprentice.

9. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

I think so. Book had a lot more nuance and characterization than the movie, and the plot made more sense. I liked both, but if I had to pick it would definitely be the book. Plus I enjoyed the little things, like the way the author titled chapters. "41 Remaining." "40 Remaining." "37 Remaining..."