1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Best Worldbuilding in fics.

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Rico Rodriguez, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

I need to read fics with good, extensive Worldbuilding. Magic, politics, countries, anything. These things should keep me reading the fic even when there's not much happening story wise. Normally, I prefer long fics but whatever length us acceptable. If you have any recommendations, please say if they are complete or abandoned or incomplete but updating. I would be grateful if you did that.

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

The best world building was in this little series of fics called Harry Potter, folks. Do not speak to me.

3. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

I will speak to you. I was here because I wanted to get more of Harry Potter Worldbuilding.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I will speak to you. I was here because I wanted to get more of Harry Potter Worldbuilding.

4. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Taure's Lords of Magic, dead as a doornail but with sweeping world changes. Enembee has a few that are good for that. Prince of the Dark Kingdom by Mizuni-sama is supposed to be pretty solid for worldbuilding, although I've never read it. Have a gander through The Alternates.

5. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

I think I have Lords of Magic and POTDK on my favourites list, but the last I checked POTDK was not updated for about 8-9 years.
    Thanks for the recs.

6. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    If you don't need all of your fics action-packed and can enjoy fluffy, slice of life stories, St Margarets writings are full of rich characterization (normally canon secondary characters) and detail.

"Magic within, magic without" can be a nice, short novel to get a taste of her style, and some of her later stories are set in the same slight AU.

7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Circular Reasoning should be on the list. @Swimdraconian has spent a fucking decade building that world.

8. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

Is that the one with insane Harry?

9. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Emperor by Marquis Black has a lot of world building I guess, and "technomagic" since that's a subject that seems to interest you.

10. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I've never been able to make it all the way through that.

11. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

From what I can recall, he does genuinely have some good worldbuilding and character beats, but there were also a lot of weird contrivances and anime-isms that made Emperor jarring and a bit puerile.

For world building I’d recommend two old classics, the Phoenix and the serpent, which is superb the whole way through, and Years of Rebellion, but The world building in it only really starts getting awesome in the second half.

12. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I remember it starting out interesting enough but it just got worse and worse with every pseudo crossover idea that came up.

Also I'm pretty sure that dude was the one who went full Naruto in the final fight in his other HP fic.

13. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'm with you, but considering the OP other post is all about blending Magic and Technology because of a war between muggle and wizard, it feels like something he would enjoyed.

14. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Prince of the Dark Kingdom, yes, and I'd also say the Sacrifices Arc. I also loved the expanded world from Potter Who and the Wossnames Thingummy, but that's a Doctor Who crossover as well. Kinda.

15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  16. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If you like worldbuilding, then you might like my When a Veela Cries. There's a ton of worldbuilding in it, including the entire Veela government and history, French magical society and government, and Durmstrang. Note, there's a ton of angst in the first fifteen or eighteen chapters so it's not a popular story around here, but if you just want worldbuilding, then you may enjoy it ( The worldbuilding really starts around chapter eight or so).

17. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Seconding Taure on The Long Journey Home - although I'd say that's still pretty AU, tbf.

18. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I will never understand why people praise The Long Journey Home. I tried to read it, but it was a bunch of tired cliches and stupid stuff like killing curse always leaving lightning-shaped marks. Maybe it's one of those "it gets better, I swear" fics.

Anyway.

Matou Shinji series by Alfheim Wanderer (link to the first part on FFnet, link to the current part's Beast's Lair thread) is an HP - Nasuverse - Assassin's Creed quest crossover, also posted on FFnet in a more convenient reading. You don't really need to know the other series (or HP for that matter) to read it. It has a lot of interesting worldbuilding especially in how it merges aspects from the respective universes, and what I really love about it, in how it uses and builds upon small things introduced on Pottermore etc. It also doesn't limit itself to Hogwarts, we see Mahoutokoro (though not very canon compliant, as it was written before Pottermore article), Durmstrang and meet people from the other schools. Active.

I'm very surprised that nobody mentioned Out of the Night. Probably the best take on the whole "paganism magic" thing. Also has a lot of those small, fun ideas. Like giving the herbs with symbolic meanings for the 16th birthday. Dead.

Wit of the Raven - Heavily AU fic, with an interesting alternative system of magic and more meritocratic Hogwarts. Strong focus on school life and especially school competitions. Dead.

19. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

Thank you for all this, I have started to read some and so far they have been interesting..

20. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Queen who fell to earth by bobmin and its two sequels.
    Note the last part isn't finish as the author move to his own next great adventure.
    Although on his Yahoo group you can find the draft ideas of how it ends.