1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Beyond Grave Peril by Random_Shinobi - R - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Shezza, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

..Random... you don't need to be a part of our conversations to;
    • Check story dates
    • Notice the Author notes circle jerking.
    • Know when to back down.

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

QFT.

I'll be honest with you dude, I like your fic. I can overlook the sometimes iffy writing and the dubious similarity to Nuhuh's summoning as long as that's the only one. But what I can't overlook is an author being a retard. Seriously! All you had to do was say "I can see how this resembles Nuhuh's story, and I apologise for the similarity. However, my fic will be taking a completely different direction to his, so no worries."

If you'd done that, I'm pretty sure everyone would have accepted it at face value. But no. You had to get all uppity and take the defensive and insulting route, which pissed everyone off and is bringing you dangerously close to banstick territory.

I have but one piece of advice for you. HARDEN THE FUCK UP. (Ty Tehan)

3. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

In hindsight, you are right. But they did insult me first, and I never predicted my comment would lead into a small-scale flame war. Of course, 'they started it' is not a very good excuse, but you need two to have an argument - you cannot say it's my fault alone.

That being said, I hope the argument has ended.

4. eXcalite

eXcalite Seventh Year

Peace boys. Lick the lollypop

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Jesu Christi, you're a fucking nutter, you know that?

I made a statement that what I'd read had been really similar and you go accusing Nuhuh of ripping off Shezza "jokingly" and I started insulting you? No no no...

I agree with Oz; if you'd said "Yea, I fucked up," it'd ended there, but you came out like a pretentious cockhead. You turned it into a "... HE DID IT FIRST!" argument, then didn't have the balls to own up to it.

And in fact your "He did it first" argument was hugely wrong, even.

Next time, I give you this advice: Take the fucking time to think up an original idea. And if you think there are only two possible ways to do it, you, friend, are a retard.

Edit:

eXcalite: Mind your own fucking business.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  6. Krull

Krull Denarii Host

Sure, you didn't know about the private conversations, but did it never strike you as odd that no one (like say Sheeza) ever said anything about it?

learn2readbetweenthelines

Excuse me, can you please squeeze your butt cheeks, 'cause everything they just said flowed right through you.

7. Alratan

Alratan First Year

This has been updated. Quite a good chapter, with some decent magical combat in as well.

8. eXcalite

eXcalite Seventh Year

Don't see no update

9. Random Shinobi

I assume he means chapter five.

10. Alratan

Alratan First Year

I did - if it had been updated before the 1st then I apologise for raising false hope.

11. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

The new chapter was fairly interesting, but seemed like filler (probably because it was).

At the current point in time, I'm torn between telling Harry 'It's a Trap' and 'Hit that like the fist of an angry God'.

12. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

The cat girl at the start was a real turn on, what happened to her?

13. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

This has been updated on ffnet. It was an excellent read.

14. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Yes it was.

15. Garlak

Garlak Fifth Year

Hm. Mortal guards with mortal weaponry and lining the walls with explosives...

Is Lara in control, and King Raith's appearance just a red herring of sorts? Or did Lord Raith grow a brain in this fic?

One thing I don't understand, however... if Harry has the time to say "sweet Morgana..." why doesn't he instead just immediately apparate--to the world of Summer, and then back to Chateau Raith?

16. Random Shinobi

Well... I did debate that for a moment but eventually let it stand. Basically he says it because it's dramatic. If you want an in-story explanation, I can always say that Harry couldn't muster enough concentration to Apparate when surprised and threatened with explosives.

By the way, Lord Raith did have mortal guards in canon and, who knows, maybe he had explosives too.

17. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Chapter was good, didn't mind it that much.

18. Garlak

Garlak Fifth Year

Er, actually I believe that Harry remarks that Lord Raith's "guards" consisted of disoriented, fed-upon, mortals that looked like they were drugged up. That his whole "defense" consisted of "arrogance." As in, Raith assumed that since no magic could hurt him, and he was physically powerful, he was fine.

Using modern equipment and employing at-all capable guards is not something he did.

The way it sounds, Harry should've been able to walk in with a Notice-Me-Not charm on him, possibly Disillusion himself too, and stun any humans there. And AK/fight to the death any vampires he encountered.

The "bombs hidden in the walls" shtick was something Lara thought up... Lara was "one of the most progressive White Court vampires" and hired competent guards that knew what they were doing.

I'll read through Blood Rites and White Night again and see if I can find any quotes or something.

19. Random Shinobi

I believe Dresden said that there was something funny in their eyes and the way they acted. Harry is not the most observant person and he doesn't even know what signs to look for. They aren't Reinfields, you know. Speaking of Reinfields, even they were capable of using modern weaponry and they are totally mind-raped.

Yes, Harry would have been able to sneak inside, but that would have still left the vampires for him to deal with. Really, the Muggles are of no consequence and avoiding them serves no purpose.

Hmm... For all we know, the bombs might not even exist in canon. Anastasia merely remarked that the walls might be lined with anti-personell mines. It, however, was a nice idea and so I stole it.

20. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

I just stumbled across this and I like it so far. 4/5

Hope you update again soon. There aren't enough good HP/DF crossovers.

Edit: also, why is this in the recycling bin?