1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Big Trouble in Little Hogwarts by AlysiaStorms - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Janus, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

Title: Big Trouble in Little Hogwarts
    Author: AlysiaStorms
    Rating: M (Though I have no idea why)
    Genre: Humor/Drama (Again, not really)
    DLP Category: Crossovers
    Pairing: None listed
    Summary: 1 year old Harry is given by Petunia to a cousin of the Evans family and his friends. Watch as those who have beaten the Sorcereor of the East Lo Pan, raise a young Harry to face his destiny. Because unlike others...they have experience!
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4599829/1/Big_Trouble_in_Little_Hogwarts

Alright, anyone who has read this story before is probably looking at this thread with a large "Wtf?" over their heads.

Namely because in 34k words little to not a god damn thing has happened (with one exception down in the spoiler*).

The writing is solid, the plot is falls on the unflinchingly average line, it barely holds the attention and even then it helps if you're a fan of Big Trouble in Little China.

There are only two reasons I've decided to post this up for review.

First, for all the time he has spent getting to the fucking point we're finally finally into the meat of the story (I suspect) and things might be getting interesting from this point on (might). He has been dropping hints here and there as to what is going on, and it doesn't really remind me of the large mallet most authors use.

Secondly (and the actual reason I felt the need to throw this up) is the absolutely ridiculous bombshell he drops in chapter 16, of the likes I have never read before. He just... slips it in there, moves on, and you're left absolutely flabbergasted for a moment or two trying to process it.

For those who don't want to read that far into what is, really, a rather lackluster story, see below.

The story is set up so Harry didn't attend the first two years of canon schooling. This is his first time meeting anyone from Britain besides the Changs, Remus, and Sirius. Its a sort of welcome back party for him set up by Sirius without telling anyone it was the boy who lived who was joining them.
    -=-=-=-
    Parents of various teens were waking up their children whom had fallen asleep. The first of them being Luna, she and the Patil twins were leaving as Sirius with the aide of Remus was putting a thirteen year old and his familiar to bed.

Neville having long since left with his Grandmother whom was getting on in years had said his thanks to Harry. The tentative shy and friendly smile had been returned with a bright and friendly one. A friendship for sure was there.

The same with the twins and at least Ginny of the Weasely clan, not to sure about Ron though. Stubborn to a fault, the boy was. But ever since that incident where he had inadvertently caused the death of a classmate, well he has been afraid of getting closer to any. The only ones whom he would spend any time with mostly were his own siblings and even then he was quiet. And that was why his yell earlier had surprised many in the house, no one expected it. It was as if the old Ron was trying to return to them.

Today he had talked more then he had in the last year, and to Molly and Arthur Weasely that gave them hope. After nearly loosing Ginny last year, they for a while thought they were going to loose Ron last year. But when she came up with Fawkes a little worse for wear....

Let’s just say Molly about passed out from relief. Her husband actually did though.

Ron though was the one whom was crying with joy. Unlike his brothers, it was Ron who was even more relieved then them. He has since then been a little overprotective of Ginny.

(Yeah, no Hermione in this one. o_O)

2. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

Holy shit, I read this about two days ago and thought to myself, this isn't even worth putting in the 'For Review' section. The it goes and gets posted anyway.

Lame.

1/5

And shittin hell, I hadn't seen a fic where Hermione died as a result of Harry not being there. Hence the reason I had planned it for the Fic I am writing. Shit, someone beat me to it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  3. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

Heh, it truly is one of the few redeeming parts of the story.

I put it up more as a "Hey this might be interesting later." and "Look at this cool bit."

>> So for those unaware, you've been warned.

4. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I was bored with the story. Just your average boring Child!Harry stories that doesn't really do much. I'd give it a 3 at most.

5. Goose

Goose First Year DLP Supporter

For some reason that gave me a stomach ache. Too...something. And you know a story is not going to be original when they have the following:

Yeah, I gave up after the first 4 chapters. I'm sure its well written, and I'm sure she ran spell check through it all but the mark of a good story is that it holds your attention in the first few chapters. One shouldn't have to wade through chapters and chapters of nothing that you can read in other stories to get to the one thing that makes it stand out.

BTW, the non-existance of that character has been written in other stories before. The ones that have Harry travelling to other dimensions, the ones that have 1000+ reviews of "OMG gr8ness!" and "Gr8 stroy, rite moar!"

So Lincos, please write your story. It has to be better then the other stories that use that plot point.

This fic: 2/5

6. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

Goose has a good point. Anyone know a story that uses similar circumstances to a better result? If so, lets go off this shite and review that one.

7. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Big Trouble in Little China > Harry Potter by several thousand orders of magnitude.

That is all.

8. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

xP Never in question.

9. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I gave up half way through the first chapter. The Author keeps changing from past tense to present tense. Drives me crazy; not to mention there are a whole bunch of characters running around. Just urgh.

10. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Haven't read it and not going to, however For Review is for fics that you think should be in the library. There are several other threads around dedicated to awful stories, stories that are almost good enough to be mentioned, and stories that have a few good parts but overall aren't really very good.

11. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

I read it. Wasn't bad but it did take a bit to GET TO THE POINT as the giver of this piece has warned.

2/5 because it doesn't suck.

12. Deamon Deathstone

Deamon Deathstone Squib DLP Supporter

it gets 1/5 from me because of the whole Harry wasn't there so Hermione dies and Harry wasn't there but was there so Ginny lives thing in the fic.

13. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

When I saw the title, I was thinking.. So are they gonna change Hogwarts in a copy of Little Africa or Little Mexico... D: Sadly, no...

I could hardly make it into it, and I guess..

Hermione being dead.
    Was the bomb shell... Although, not much of one D:

I'll give this a 2/5 for the author writing it.

14. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Sorry Janus, I am going to have to disagree with you on this one, its not that the writing was bad...But the plot leaves a lot of be desired, its original, but not the good kind.

2/5.