1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Blood Crest by Cauchy

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Palindrome, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Gaius

Gaius Second Year

i agree, Lindsey. i'm really impressed by how interesting Cauchy has made Divination in Blood Crest. it's an actual magical art! and Petri has a respect for it because of its connections with the Dark Arts. the fact that Divination works differently/not at all for vampires because their fates are closed (bc. dead) and Muggles because they are nonmagical is also an interesting take.

in the books the prophecy is the only real Divination we see, so as a field it can't be practiced unless you are a real Seer. the teacups, dream interpretations, they all seem to be "woolly nonsense" as Hermione says. the prophecy is interesting in the books because it basically works like the Pythian Oracle in Greek mythology (e.g. Oedipus, Croesus): it's worded in such a way to create ambiguity and cause the actions that will result in its own fulfillment.

i will be interested to see how events unfold now that Voldemort will have a body much earlier than GoF and will have access to the Philosopher's Stone. how will Harry be able to defeat him when V. has such a head start?

2. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Blood Crest has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 36
    Words: 264,310
    Updated: 2020-02-03 04:04:39 UTC
    Published: 2014-08-19 00:34:26 UTC
    Previously updated: 7 days ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

3. Villanelle

Villanelle Seventh Year

High Score:
    This story shines with how it presents ideas, be they magical or otherwise.

Voldemort and Petri are at odds with how they view the dark arts, and if I'm not mistaken, Petri believes in some sort of magical core, or at least a flow of magic. I can't recall the specifics of it, and I'm not sure I care. I think I enjoy it largely because of the possibilities, and reading about magic that way feels like reading philosophy.

Whatever your beliefs are, it doesn't really change the "sandbox"/world within which you're operating, although they probably set constraints on opportunities available to you.

Petri thinks the dark arts are dangerous and not everyone should learn it. But Voldemort thinks otherwise, and that difference in philosophy allows for other avenues of magical pursuit. Perhaps that's why Crabbes and Goyles can still retain some utility as Death Eaters and why a young Ginny can easily do the Bat Bogey Hex. Speaking of, is that part conjuration and animation? What is animation? Is that charming or transfiguring, both, or something else entirely? I'm not really asking for answers to this, but I suspect that stuff like that also shapes one's magic.

I'm quite impressed with this Harry. He's not a genius, but you can see he's smart and beginning to appreciate more complex ideas, like his friend-enemy relationship with Voldemort, Petri, and Dumbledore. Also how he rolls with the punches, and work through his feelings, specifically
    Petri casting the Cruciatus on him to overcome a memory charm.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  4. Gaius

Gaius Second Year

I noticed that in this chapter there were some really nice turns of phrase that helped to characterize Petri and others as well as add to the overall tone of the story.

For example, when Petri and Harry visit Figg, they argue about Dumbledore.

I think this exchange is perfect for capturing Harry's lack of understanding of and his desire to learn about the stakes between Dumbledore and Voldemort. Petri's take makes V. and D. somehow interchangeable and basically alike: V. kills those who don't obey, D. ruins their lives. Is there much of a difference? And Petri's bitter reply is a great play on language: "Für das größere Wohl," Petri said softly. "I did not say that he was not good."

Some other highlights:

Selene referring to Harry as "the Harry," because of his relationship with Silviu. Poor guy, he can't be anonymous or "just Harry" even with a Fidelius on his identity.

The complication of wizarding politics. Vampires' support for Voldemort makes sense. They aren't merely monstrous and therefore supportive of the Dark Lord, but he also promises to overturn wand bans, etc., that stifle sentient beings. This also complicates our idea of Dumbledore and progressive wizarding politics: why wouldn't Dumbledore and the Order reach out to vampires as they do with werewolves via Remus?

Looking forward to more, but would also like to get back to Hogwarts or have an adventure beyond the company since we've seen a couple of those now.

5. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Prisoner DLP Supporter

This fucking story just pitted the imperius curse vs the divination of destiny. I'm assuming there's the implication here that muggles are completely and utterly vulnerable to the curse.

What a legendary fic.

6. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Blood Crest has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 37
    Words: 273,007
    Updated: 2020-02-16 23:34:55 UTC
    Published: 2014-08-19 00:34:26 UTC
    Previously updated: 14 days ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

7. Majube

Majube Auror

High Score:
    This latest chapter was really good, I know I say that about every chapter but this one moves the plot along nicely with the characteristic worldbuilding that's great fun
    We see things speeding up with Voldemort recruiting the vamps, Wormtail with Voldemort so no Sirius Black plot or it might get pushed up a year, Annette confirmed still being very ignorant, although its strange Silviu never helped her out maybe it boosts her power as an Almost-Squib if she continues using her odd way of spells with no practise. I also wonder how their houses are warded with this anti-divination focus. And lastly, I love that Winky just kidnapped Harry and I wonder how Harry will be able to talk his way out of getting killed by crazy Crouch Jr.

The plot is really speeding up, oh and also Igor Karkaroff being owed favours by Petri is just as odd a connection as Figg imo.

On a sidenote, I continue to love the brilliant characterization of Voldemort in this fic, it goes from moments like this that could absolutely be a canon reaction yet the fic takes a deeper look into Voldemort's motives and personal philosophy and we also get to see more perspective on his emotions.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020 at 5:05 AM