1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Blood Crest by Cauchy

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Alindrome, Jul 8, 2015.

1. bluemooks

bluemooks First Year

Last chapter is getting close to ruining this chapter for me...there doesn't seem to be any sort of relief or progression on Harry at all...he's learning from an enchanter but is still hopelessly confused and lost on everything....which is understandable since he's young but for how many chapters deep we are there isn't much character growth for Harry at all

2. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Blood Crest has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 53
    Words: 430,868
    Updated: 2020-11-09 04:59:08 UTC
    Published: 2014-08-19 00:34:26 UTC
    Previously updated: 21 days ago
    New Summary:
    The bonds of blood hid Harry Potter from those who wished to harm him. Unfortunately, foreign dark wizard Joachim Petri had no idea who Harry Potter even was. A wizard "rescues" a clueless Harry Potter from the Dursleys, but not all wizards are good people. Eventually Necromancer!Harry, Master of Death!Harry, no pairings.

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

3. DooomCookie

DooomCookie First Year

I kind of get what you mean. Most fanfic (but Dark!Harry especially) is so often filled with easy wins and wish fulfillment, so this story feels almost nihilistic in comparison. Certainly, the author has been raising the stakes faster than Harry has been progressing.

But I think there is light at the end of the tunnel. Compare this Harry to the Harry of chapter 15 and there's been big progression. He laughably outclasses his peers at school.

4. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    This story needs a time skip or two.

5. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Blood Crest has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 54
    Words: 436,556
    Updated: 2020-11-22 18:42:08 UTC
    Published: 2014-08-19 00:34:26 UTC
    Previously updated: 14 days ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

6. Cirvante

Cirvante First Year

That awkward moment when a twelve-year old asks you what your sex doll collection is for.

7. OkraMaster

OkraMaster Second Year

8. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

Latest update -> https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10629488/56/Blood-Crest

This is my favorite story right now. It's thematically monotone, but the philosophy and theory explored is interesting, so it gets a pass imo. World building is limited, and I hope this will improve in time. The one concern I have for this story is word count.
    Harry is at a cross roads in this chapter. So far the two over arching characterizations of Harry is his self preservation and a more recent canon 'loyal friend' streak. Here, these two aspects of his personality conflict and show that Harry, at his core, is still as he was in canon. Both Tom Riddle and Harry are shown to be much more complex in character. In canon, Tom was a student genius who became a simplistic terrorist leader. Here, he is still that brilliant man, but with darker motivations. This matches with the tone of the story in general, with working and motivation of the magical society examined through a realist lens.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  9. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I got to the end of chapter 44 before dropping this. This was like three weeks ago, so excuse me if my recollection is a bit foggy.

It’s taken me a while to understand why I dropped this, because this fic is the shining example of originality. It’s well-written, with so many great ideas, and it’s unpredictable in a way that keeps you reading.

But it’s the characters that eventually turned me off.

I don’t want to call Harry stupid. He’s not, he’s acting like a normal eleven/twelve-year-old, but he feels overly passive and a bit annoying to read about. And though I applaud the writer for including an OC as such an important major character, I’ve lost interest in Joachim. He doesn’t really have a character arc. He’s just a guy that Harry lives with when he’s not at Hogwarts, and even Harry doesn’t care much about Joachim anymore. I don’t expect Joachim to do anything interesting, or change, or be forced to confront challenges. He feels static. Because of this, the non-Hogwarts chapters were a slog, though I didn’t notice until Harry got to Hogwarts and the story became more enjoyable.

In the end though, Voldemort is a huge problem. Him as Quirrell was good, as he was a mystery for Harry to focus on, but Voldemort proceeded to center the story around himself. Which makes sense, because the story looks at souls and death, so Voldemort is the perfect antagonist. But I’m tired seeing him on page. Harry has locked himself into the quest of convincing Voldemort not to kill him or go after him, and as of chapter 44, Voldemort is accepting of this. However, it seems clear to me that once Voldemort learns the prophecy, he’s going to go against Harry, no matter what Harry does for him beforehand. Therefore, Harry’s quest seems like filler and a waste of time and word count. It’s boring.

I feel like this review is pretty negative, but the story is good. It’s just not something that I really enjoyed reading.

3.5/5 -> 3/5.

10. MightlessPhilosopher

MightlessPhilosopher Banned

I read all of the chapters currently available. I absolutely love the story because of the lengthy worldbuilding and explanations on how magic works in this AU. The author's intake on Divination is fascinating and the innate difference between Wizards and others
    the ability to change fate, which is fixed unless you are a wizard
    is an interesting uptake as to why other magical creatures and muggles would be considered as "lesser" in the Hp universe.

The last chapter was on conjuration and how the dead are always truthful, but make everything so that the necromancer joins them too. I loved that.

Contrarily to Vira I do not find anything boring in this fiction, because when there is less action we get more worldbuilding. Joachim does feel "static", but he's a grown person already and quite old. His personality isn't going to change, his world-view isn't going to change, his way of life has no reason to change either and I think old people IRL are often quite similar in this way. He's Harry's necromancy teacher and whenever the author decides to explain how magic works (using Joachim as a medium), it is an exciting read.

Still, it seems like the story is going slowly. The writing isn't extremely lively. (Kinda funny to say since it's about necromancy...) It feels dry. I'd rate the story around 4 stars, because of the style of writing.

11. Golden Shadow

Golden Shadow Fourth Year

It updated again. Couple more chapters. Some good stuff.

I think I'm warming up to the magic system in this fic. It is hard to master and difficult to control, but it also sorta makes sense that becoming powerful isn't easy. There's clearly quote a lot of thought already in how magic works in the fic, and honestly it's worth reading practically just for that. And the other stuff is pretty well done too.

12. aspiring_failure

aspiring_failure Banned

IMO the best aspect in the whole story is divination. If the rest of the story was completely shit I'd read it just for the divination/Trelawney. I challenge anyone to find a fanfiction that has a more well thought out divination magic than this story. I hope to write my own fanfiction at some point and I'm going to steal all these good ideas about how this magic works.

13. OkraMaster

OkraMaster Second Year

14. jack-a-napes

jack-a-napes Squib

This chapter has some real knockouts:
    Almost makes up for the author dragging us through some Pseudo-Stations of the Canon with the Witch Weekly article and aftermath.

15. aspiring_failure

aspiring_failure Banned

The author really has some good (humor) lines with Petri/Harry & Luna. I don't know if this really matches Luna's character from the books but I think it definitely is a mix of book/movies & the author's own humor.

16. OkraMaster

OkraMaster Second Year

A really good update this time round. Very interesting interactions with Hermione and Colin and dementors.

Why does Scryer not automatically update with each new chapter?

17. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

On one hand I feel like this story is slow, half a million words and not even to Easter of second year.

on the other hand I’m absolutely riveted with every update. This is so good. I agree with the person above who highlighted the characterization of divination, it is the best of any fanfic I’ve ever read and better than the original books

18. aspiring_failure

aspiring_failure Banned

Yes this story is slow but divination really is done spectacularly well and I think there is a good attempt at tackling Harry's internal conflict but I can't really tell where this is going.

Lots of great interactions and a good update all in all. Love seeing more of Luna, she and Harry are really shining I think and they are quite difficult to do well...Great depressing future for Ginny having been eaten by the dementors.

Minor nitpick the charm is alohomora, not alohamora. I'll send a message to the author.

19. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

The fanfiction.net site updated their bot detection scripts I think

20. ratpoisoon

ratpoisoon Muggle

This is a great story. I recommend it