1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Board Games

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Ash, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter

Since the pandemic myself and friends have been playing a lot of games on Board Game Arena. I bought a sub for ... I think $5 for the year? But there’a a lot you can do for free and the website runs pretty smoothly.

2. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark Moderator DLP Supporter

Ooh. Haven't seen this before. How does Board Game Arena stack up compared to tabletop simulator?

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter

I HATE tabletop simulator. So I’m biased.

I much prefer a system that won’t let me make moves that aren’t allowed as it takes lot of the stress of learning a new game off of me.

Edit for more detail now that I'm not on my phone...

TTS is a fantastic simulator that does a great job of what it's meant to do, but I don't like it because I don't like having to be fiddly about where my cards/pieces/etc. are and then moving them with the mouse.

If I can't play in person and use my actual hands, I'd much rather have that aspect of gameplay automated for me. I click here and my meeple/piece/card is placed there and points are scored for me.

This is exacerbated by the fact that I don't like learning new games and if I'm playing on TTS then I actually have to, because there's nothing available to indicate available moves or moves that aren't allowed, etc. BGA alleviates that.

I'm fine with TTS for games I know well, but that's about it unless my friends bully me into playing it AGAIN.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  4. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I played boardgames 3 times this week... lucky me minus the flat tire.

Tidal blades

Typical kickstarter worker placement game with a bazillion pieces. It’s okay, but feels overdesigned, and too short. It’s played over 4 rounds and you get a total of 12 actions total, which feels super short for how long the game actually takes to setup. The game mechanics are okay to good, but it never feels like you can do enough, which makes it kind of not fun, especially since there’s a punisher mechanic in the form of monsters which eats away at your already limited actions. 6/10

Pendulum

Weeeeeeird kickstarter game. Honestly kinda sick of the kickstarter board game culture. I’m not sure how I feel about this game. It’s a worker placement game, but there’s no turns, and it’s a “real time strategy” game, meaning it uses actual time, meaning hourglasses. There’s three different ones, one 3 minute, one 2 minute, and one 45 second. There’s 3 action sections on the board to correspond with the 3 different times., and each section has 2 rows of identical rows of actions, with slightly different staging areas. Essentially, you can only place a worker in a staging area that the hour glass currently isn’t on, and then when the hour glass gets flipped over on it, thats when you move your worker from the staging area to the action space and do the action, and then you can place more workers on the other staging area. 2 of the sections have single-meeple action spaces (unless you have the upgraded worker which can go on those spots). Essentially, once you start getting more workers, you have to be more on top of what actions they’re going to be taking, but at the same time, some of your workers are iced waiting for the 2 or 3 minute timers to count down before you can remove them and replace them. There’s resource management, resource upgrades, an action deck that you can recycle, and multiple personal victory point tracks, and pseudo-voting/initiative when turns the game into 4 rounds of about 12-15 minutes each, as each round is determined by 4 turns of the 3 minute hourglass, and you don’t have to flip it immediately. I liked the game, but I don’t know how good it actually is. It’s pretty complicated, and I only played it with 3 players. If you play five players, that’s way too much shit going on the board, as everyone needs to be in range to place all their shit across the board and turn over the hourglasses, so you'd probably be getting in everyones way constantly. And the hourglasses themselves kinda suck. The 3 minute one got stuck constantly, so we ended up using an actual stopwatch, and the bases are really narrow so they’re super easy to knock over. Some sort of chess clock or just stopwatches on all 3 would work a lot better. I don’t know what to actually rate it. It’s either a 4/10, or like a 9/10, but right now I’ll put a ?/10 until I can play it again, but I don’t think any of us want to have to teach it to a new player. In practice it’s probably a 6/10.