1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Board Games

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Ash, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Beonid

Beonid Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Anyone here play Caylus? It's probably my favourite at the moment.

2. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

Battlestar Gallactica is a fun board game and just like the tv show it's full of backstabbing. There's no dice casting, instead there's voting with action cards (each could be used for it's effect or discarded anonymously for voting points) and depending on the overall vote points the end effect of a new game changing policy varies. Oh, and twice in the game players are given id cards (cylon, cylonfriendly or human) therefore in the middle of the game you might become a cylon sleeper agent and be forced to backstab others. Fun times :)

Another good one is Descent. It's a turn based sort-of-rpg with evil dungeon overlord vs 2-5 heroes. The only downside is that one dungeon (and the campaign is about 20-40 long) has 2-4 levels and each one of them takes about an hour of play. Luckily in one of the latest expansion packs (I think there's like 4 of them) they made rules for single dungeon raid mode with slightly changed game balance.

The last one board game that I'd recommend and it hasn't been mentioned yet is Twilight Empire: a turn based space rts game, where victory could be achieved through destroying other players, completing your secret goal or gathering enough victory points.

The last two games involve luck in dice casting and I really hate that... in Descent you are given special dices with one miss on them... so, it's 1 in 6 chances to miss, right? On my last session out of 50 casts we managed only 15 hits before quitting...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  3. LostInThought

LostInThought First Year

4. Portus

Portus Heir

At our house there are a couple closets full of board games, but more often than not my wife and I play card games like Quiddler, and we've played a few times with our kids as well. You can play it straight, getting all the points you can, but my wife and I are such geeks we'll forgo run-of-the-mill words in favor of trying to get the letters for one great word. Which, of course, often backfires when the other person sees your ploy and goes out with several smaller words, leaving you scrambling to limit your losses. If you've played it I'm sure you know what I mean.

The thing we play with kids most often, though, is UNO. It's easy to forget how much fun such a simple game can be with several people, especially kids. The kids like to play the old-school games, like Connect 4, Battleship, Jenga and, on occasion and for some ungodly reason, Candyland. I fucking hate Candyland, but my son and daughter started playing it when they were very young and still like to get it out now and then.

We play Scrabble as a family, and if you like Scrabble, take a look at Up Words. It's Scrabble with the twist that you can change a letter and build up as long as the new word works in all directions, etc.

Oh, and one of kids' absolute favorites is Dominoes, for some reason. We have a nice huge set, and can fill our dining room table every which way.

When we get together with friends and other married couples my wife and I end up playing a lot of Rook and Hearts, though most of our married friends start bickering when my wife and I are Rook partners and start drubbing them. Makes me laugh but it can get awkward when the bitching goes over the top or on for too long. And my wife has only recently started to play Hearts with me again, because when we were dating I used to go out of my way to drop the Queen on her. She'd get so pissed after a while that she'd leave the game. I'm still an asshole, but have since dropped that particular dick move from my repertoire...

5. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

RISK Legacy. If my youngest brother wasn't the luckiest little bastard I'd ever met, the rest of us would have had an awesome campaign. As it is, I think he ended up naming all the cities but one and three continents.

I've played the computer version of A&A, but never the actual boardgame. I feel like I'm missing out, but I don't often have two-four friends available. Or at all.

I remember Heroquest. I was always the Rogue. And I always won. Back before my bother started playing.

Oh, and i remember Omega Virus. Snarky fucking computer voice. It hasn't had batteries in about 15 years, but my brothers and I still quote the damn thing at each other. Especially when playing Warhammer 40K.

6. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

There are board games other than monopoly?

....Huh, what do you know.

More seriously, no one's mentioned Trivial Pursuit, fun times to be had by all.

7. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

To me that's less a game, and more an opportunity to wtfpwn everybody.

8. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I saw this and was hoping to add something but all of my go-tos have been mentioned.

Catan (and expansions), Munchkin (you haven't played if you haven't combined 5 or more decks together), Ticket to Ride, and Talisman.

9. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

10. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Shut up and take my money.

But seriously. How do I get my hands on this game? ;)

11. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

For now there's only one copy. It cost me 200$ to print one copy (plastic covered), so I dont think I'll make another, but I have all the files on the computer. If you'd like, I'll send it to you - then I could say the game is internationally known... B-)

12. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I would tap that. So if I ask nicely, would you mind sending that to me too?:)

13. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Hell yes. I very much approve. For the sharing... Dropbox, then?

14. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

PM your e-mail.

Sent. :)

15. mangaguy

mangaguy Fifth Year

Anyone who really likes board games should check out the RedditGifts board games exchange:
    http://redditgifts.com/
    It's super simple and easy to join, much simpler than those ridiculous MathTrades that BoardGameGeek puts together.

Also, I've really enjoyed Cosmic Encounter recently. I've played it before and didn't enjoy it, but then I played it with friends and I really liked it. It's a very social game, and has a shitton of variety.

16. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Someone said board games?

I play chess once in a while, or something.

Also, Pers, we should set up a game sometime.

17. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    *looks at Sig and avatar*

No, really?

Payday was fun as a kid, and I enjoy LOTR Risk as an adult. I don't play many board games any more.

18. hgf

hgf Fourth Year

I occasionally play Go. Other than that just some basic board games that everybody played when I was young.

19. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Risk, Monopoly, and Catan are among my favorites. The only one that hasn't been mentioned that I love is Backgammon.

20. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Puzzle Strike, a deckbuilder game similar to Dominion (but with much more player interaction) is now on Kickstarter to help get the expansion printed. yay!