1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Browncoat, Green Eyes by nonjon - Firefly - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by nonjon, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Well you did mention that the last headmaster of hogwarts pretty much secured the library as tightly as a virgin pussy, you also mentioned that he jumped on the last magical ship outta there. I'm thinking that there is a planet with what once was, or now is, the new magical world. There was no way they where leaving the books when they knew what was going to happen as well as the time put into protecting them, what was left of the Creatures, there had to be possably a vessel set aside as a modern day Noah's Arch for just magical Creatures?

2. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

It would've been nice to spoil the movie you know...

3. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Meh... sorry?

I was trying to be careful at first, but then gave up pretty quick. The summary of my fic says right at the start "Post-Serenity" and the movie's been on DVD for like 4 months now. The large majority of the fans of the show will have seen the movie by now.

If you write a fic post-HBP, you expect people to know spoilers for HBP are involved.

But there's not really a clear basis for background here. A "Pirates of the Carribbean" crossover would include spoilers for that movie simply because there isn't any other canon material (maybe the theme park paragraph explanation). Also with movie spoilers would be a LOTR or Star Wars fic crossover's discussion forum. Pretty much unavoidable. Gotta be real careful when it's in theaters. By the time it hits DVD you can be a bit more lax. But now, four months later, I figure the only ones you're being nice too, are the ones who wouldn't really care about the spoilers as it's not their sort of fandom.

4. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

What about people who only watched the show...

5. nonjon

What about them? (/me isn't even really sure if you're complaining about spoilers for the movie in this discussion thread or spoilers for the movie in my fic)

For the plot and fic I wanted to tell, it's directly based off nearly all of the results, information, events of the movie.

If you're a fan of the show, you more than likely were looking forward to the movie and should have seen the movie by now.

Sorry for the spoilers, but I don't think we should have half the posts here using the
    tag for every comment about XXXX dying or XXX happening to XXXXX.

6. nonjon

7. Kaotac

Kaotac Second Year

I reacon that they ran into The Flying Spagetti Monster and Dudley's decendant, who was a wizard (because Dudley is a squib!) tried to eat it, which pissed it off and so He used His many Noodly Appendages to kill all the Wizards...
    Or maybe they managed to find their own star system between the Firefly/Serenity system and Earth, and terraformed there?

Oh yeah! That was some hot XXX action, wasn't it?

8. Ivy_Snowe

Ivy_Snowe Second Year

Well, I wasn't even gonna read the fic until my mind processed the word Browncoat in the title...then I went 'Is this what I think and eagerly pray it is?' And to my immense happiness it is. A serenity/HP crossover. I love it. I watched the show and the movie...ok, not in that order, saw the movie, then when sci-fi saw how lucrative it was they put Firefly on, I watched it then. Anyway...now that my ramblings are over, I really enjoy this fic and I'm watching out for the next bit...

9. Teal_Thanatos

Teal_Thanatos First Year

We've seen the fidelius charm in action, the Black house in London. I think what happened is the entire wizarding population settled down on one planet near the center of the solar system and then hid the entire thing.

It's the sort of behaviour I'd expect from many of the purebloods, not wanting those bloody muggles around, and so the Readers (which are quite rare IIRC) are the muggle-born witch/wizards who are ignored by the 'real' wizarding population, who just doesn't care enough to get them.

The ring ended up in a muggles hand by following the eldest born of the Weasley (Weatherby) line, it didn't make distinctions between eldest Wizard/witch and eldest born... so when a squib got it and moved into the muggle world it stayed with them...

10. Ivy_Snowe

Ivy_Snowe Second Year

That's actually a good theory. I like it.

11. Patrik f

Patrik f Guest

I just read this story and I gotta say that I love it... It is the best Firefly/Harry Potter crossover I have ever read, of course I have only read one other but that is not the point :)

12. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

NIce new chapter. Excellent.

I like the memories that River had, and how you are slowly making her more sane.

Superb. :D :D :D

13. Ivy_Snowe

Ivy_Snowe Second Year

Good job on the update. It's kind of funny to see River's saner moments. They're as random as her insane moments...

14. Patrik f

Patrik f Guest

Love the new chapter, I especially likes how Harry is slowly making River more sane not just fixing her in 2 seconds. I also like how Harry cant use to much magic on the ship as things could stop working then...

15. Kaotac

Kaotac Second Year

I'm not sure if I was imagining it, or reading two fics at the same time.. but was there a flash of Voldemort in one of River's memories?
    Good update!

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like the new chapter...and the update rate lol.

Anyway, one question, the long legilimency spell that Harry uses to enter River's mind, it's obvious that he doesn't want it heard, and it's obvious that he is a competent wizard, so why doesn't he just do the spell non-verbally?

17. nonjon

A flash of Voldemort? Hmm... it seems Harry snapped her out of it immediately after that. It should also be noted this time she got a flash of Kaylee getting busy and then a blonde girl her age smiling sadly. And she woke up holding Simon and Harry's hands this time. Hmm...

As for non-verbals, I've always considered them similar to "wandless" magic. Some things need the additional focus and concentration of a specific wand movement or a lengthy incantation (that I assume you merely say in your head, not out your mouth). Sort of like a simple shield you could manage non-verbally, or even wandlessly, but no one would even attempt to cast a Fidelius completely non-verbally or wandlessly. The occasional step if it's a long spell with many layered portions maybe nonverbally, but doubtful all of it. Some aspects just require more power and more control than others. Just like the simply legilimency Harry managed with only eye contact, but to make a solid link requires the lengthy incantation.

As for the magic's effect on technology, it may not be as significant as I'm making it out to sound, or it may be worse. We shall see.

It is a bit frustrating when so many things I'm trying to do with this fic, like Harry helping River through Legilimency just feels obvious and cliched, but without hardly any HP/Firefly fics I have to choose the most obvious and logical solutions for many bits because they are logical, despite being obvious. But I digress.

18. Bungler

Bungler Guest

I haver never seen Firefly before, so if I read this fic will I understand whats going on?

19. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

In a word: yes. I've seen all of 18 minutes of the pilot episode to the series, on fast-forward at times and I have little to no trouble following the story. I might get off my lasy behind and watch the series, maybe even the film, but so far... meh. Give it a try, there's little chance of you not liking it.

20. nonjon

Yeah, I'm hoping to keep it entertaining and clear for those who don't know the tv show Firefly or the movie Serenity. Really only someone else unfamiliar could tell you whether it's working.

It's been posted here before I think, but I'll reiterate it, for those who simply want to see them, video captures of the aired episodes are available to watch in RealVideo here:

http://versaphile.com/download/firefly.html

They're not great quality of course and they can't legally make better copies from the DVDs. Frankly I'm not even sure how legal this is, but the sites been up and around for a long time so I think it might be fuzzy enough to be legal.

Just for those who haven't and may want to see an episode. (BTW they're listed in reverse order on that page, the first episodes are at the bottom.)