1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Bulletstorm

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Midknight, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Played the demo a few minutes ago on the 360, and I can't see what the big deal was for it. Kill with skill, translates into fumbling around with the controller's inability to precision aim quickly. I leash the dude, pull him, kick, leash again, headshot. Or leash, kick into hazard. Drop a building on him. Um... I think after 3 minutes I did every variation I could think of to kill the enemies and was left with a game that looked really, really pretty on the 360, with bad controls.

Does the normal game hold up, or did I see pretty much everything from the demo?

2. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Well I sat down this weekend and beat the whole campaign in 5 hours. And, in addition to being horribly short, it's just more of the same, over and over again. Gameplay varies little from one level to the next, with the only changes being the scenery and/or the number of enemies the game throws at you.

The enemy AI is beyond retarded; either they stand and shoot walls or run up to you after you blew their friends' torso clean off.

The friendly AI is even worse, where your teammates spend more time staring at you than the enemies and doing very little in the scope of a battle.

The skillshots seem to be in the game only a way to keep you (the player) interested and break up the monotony. However, after about the halfway point in the campaign (or within 3 minutes), they actually add to the monotony. You'll quickly find yourself getting bored of seeing the same skillshots. That said, there are some (few and far between) cool ones like launching an entire group of enemies into the air, then literally melting the skin off their collective bones in one charged shotgun blast.

The plot is...decidedly meh. Not bad, but entirely too predictable and simple. The bad guys are stereotypically bad, and the good guys are confusingly good, lacking clear motivation at times then pulling the strangest things out of their asses.

Personally, I invested time in this game just because of the humor. This game does not at all take itself seriously for most of the game, cracking over-the-top crude jokes left, right and center, generally not caring about the timing of said jokes. All the way through, I found myself chuckling at colorful words I never even thought of putting together, and genuinely witty one-liners.

TLDR: Middy, you pretty much saw everything you were ever going to see in the demo. But if you have 5-6 hours of downtime and a need to laugh at silly-stupid jokes, go for it. Not bad but nothing special.

Also, YOU GET TO CONTROL A ROBOT DINOSAUR WITH MACHINE GUNS ON ITS HEAD.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  3. Midknight

4. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I loved all of the promotion stuff done for the game (Duty calls and the Halo spoof), but the demo wasn't a lot of fun. Like Midknight, I got bored quickly with the action and I suspect that will only get worse as you progress in the real game. I didn't really like controls that much either, but I've definitely seen worse.

Is anyone, who've played the actual game, willing to shed some light on this?

EDIT: Question answered, it seems.

5. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Afraid I can't shed too much light on the controls, as I blackbearded it for my computer instead of getting it on console. On PC, the controls are pretty much flawless though.

6. Midknight

Thats what I was thinking, on computer the mouse snapping left and right would work so much better then the slow to react sticks would.