1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Bungle in the Jungle: A Harry Potter Adventure by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Rofl.. nonjon would prolly be a good author for that.

2. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

Any idea when the next chap will come out jbern?

3. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

I just got it back from my talented Beta. It will be out Thursday or Friday after I do a little bit of final checking. Plus I still have to finish chapter 16 of my other story. It's about 1/2 done.

Jim

4. cu_cullen9

cu_cullen9 Second Year

everytime i've tried to read this its been at 5 am when i get off work, and i just cant get past the first chapter. Maybe with today being my day off it will make more sense when i read it.

EDIT: Okay i reread it with out the brain sucking affects of work and it seems like an interesting view of the betrayed harry story. i hope there will be lots of plans for revenge.

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  5. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Chapter 5 is up!

Chapter 5 is up for your reading pleasure. It's mostly a transitional chapter, but I think you'll enjoy it.

Jim

6. Myst

Myst Headmaster

That wasnt to bad, but being drunk was hard for me to read, But then again I have never drank or been drunk before, so that may be understandable.

I look forward to the next chapter, and maybe Bill getting ticked at Harry for getting drunk.

7. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

This looks like a job for NONJON-(man)!

Please nonjon? Just a little oneshot?

8. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Good chapter! Just a little sad that Harry didn't get laid, but he probably wouldn't have enjoyed it much in the state he was in anyway.

9. core8ball

core8ball Squib

Harry & the Hack

Great story but everytime I read a new chapter I keep hoping to see a scene with Harry teaching Hack Rock Paper Scissors. I can just see Harry trying to explain why paper beats rock when Hack jumps up shouting club beats all and starts chasing Harry through the jungle. Keep the good stuff coming.

10. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    What the hell. You're names core8ball and your Sig says All people fear me for I am Lord Dragon. Why you change the name?

Good chap.

11. core8ball

core8ball Squib

The name is an inside joke I won't bother to explain and I don't know how the Sig said I am Lord Dragon. As soon as I saw it I changed it to what it says now.

12. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

The new chapter is impressive, i like the pace this is going at, its good to see harry have a little fun, and this Amy sounds like a good influence on harry, is she just a passing character or will she be in it for a bit?

13. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Myst - I am actually in my mid 30's and I have never been drunk either. Never really cared for the taste of alcohol. That said I have been in the company of lots of people getting drunk. Many shy and introverted people lose their inhibitions and "lighten up" at least at first. If they get really hammered you'll see what type of drunk they turn into. I briefly considered making Harry an "angry" drunk, but that didn't seem right.

Amerision - If I start a third story it will be the Luna/Diary plotline. I want to get Darkness back to Hogwarts before I consider it though. Anyone who wants to do a version is welcome and from what I have read of Nonjon's work, he would do a smashing job.

Core8ball - Hack will eventually show up, but its not for at least 3 or 4 more chapters. Phoenix Expeditions isn't in bed with the Goblins of South America yet.

Dark Lord R - Thanks!

Xantos - Amy will at least be in the next chapter. Beyond that who knows. I suspect we'll see more of her and her sisters. Many reviewers were disappointed that the night didn't end up in drunken sex. I think it goes along with Harry not knowing what to do with freedom. Give him some time, he'll figure it out.

Jim

14. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

I'm probably alone on this, but I hated the direction the last chapter went in. I'm sorry but having Bill lecturing Harry about "letting it go" and not getting mad at Dumbledore for stealing his money is just ridiculous. Dumbledore pays for poor students to attend his school, thus cementing his "kind old coot" routine? Good for him, however I fail to see how that makes him a good person at all when he's stealing the rest of his money from a kid who spent ten years living in a cupboard living with verbally abusive relatives while his parents are dead. Not to mention, I can't see Independent!Harry not caring about someone stealing his godfather's money. Even Canon!Harry beat the shit outta Dung for stealing Sirius' crap that he didn't even like. It's the principal of the thing, it doesn't matter if he doesn't need it. Also, I don't understand why Harry is simply running instead of doing something about all this bullshit. He leaves, by the time he comes back it will be old news. Is he going to let everyone get away with making him their little dress up bitch? Don't get me wrong, I love the plot and the writing style, I just hate where it's going, but that's just my opinion.

15. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

IllusiveOne - Well I can see where you might have found it lacking, but this is an IndyHarry fic that is not fixiated on revenge. Damn near every other one is. I would have to go back and look at HBP, but I recall Harry getting in Dung's face about stealing Sirius's stuff not beating the shit out of him. The impression I received was that it was more about Sirius being dead than the material value of the cauldrons that were being pawned.

As to standing and fighting, well he has no allies except Bill. He has no reason to trust the Ministry. If he went to the courts, well the best he can do is send Remus to prison and sully Dumbledore's reputation. They are not so much stealing from him as simply legally taking it. How many child stars in Hollywood have had their fortunes mismanaged and squandered by their gaurdians (most of the time by their family I admit, but you get the drift).

Seems to me he has stood and fought already, what did it get him - obliviated and drugged again. Getting the hell out of Dodge is the only real option.

Remember, Bill told him to forget the petty anty stuff of them using the money. He said focus on the fact they were screwing with his mind and his freedom of choice, because that's what's important.

Jim

16. rj_stone2

rj_stone2 Seventh Year

I feel like Bill went beyond "focus on the major stuff" and into the realm of outright justifying the theft.

If somebody you trust steals your money, and then uses it to fund activities that you like, that in no way makes the theft ok.

Dumbledore is stealing from a minor. If Harry really would spend his money on these things, why doesn't Dumbledore ask his permission? It might be sort of a dodgy thing to ask, but it's a hell of a lot less dodgy than just stealing the money. Maybe the other stuff is a bigger deal, but this is a pretty huge deal on its own.

Also, unless wizarding law is completely messed up, there's no way that Remus is the only one going down for the theft. If A and B conspire to move money from V's bank account (which is under A's control) to B's, B is going to face about as much prison time as A.

This passage also seems to imply that Bill was aware of the theft and did nothing to stop it (and maybe helped with the paperwork). To me, that really undermines his credibility as Harry's trua ally.

17. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

The way i look at it, Dumbledore probably doesnt think of the money as harrys, he downplays harry all the time, treats him like a child, why would he think of harry as a rich powerful wizard? the way i see it, he sees the money as two of his closest followers legacy to a cause they didn't get the chance to see through, maybe its dumbledores twisted way of justifying his use of the money

18. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

RJ - Well is it stealing if it's technically legal? Dumbledore is asking Remus to approve expenditures and Remus is approving them. To prosecute Remus would require dragging the Order of the Phoenix's existence and finances into the light of the day. Remus is in chart of the Black trust. How many Hollywood kids have had their fortunes swindled by their parents or guardians.

Bill knows quite a bit about Dumbledore's overall finances. He may have even helped facilitate meetings with the goblins. To his credit he told Harry immediately where the money for this expedition was coming from.

Xantos - You've got a pretty good rationale for Dumbledore's line of thought. It will be a long time before Harry gets to the bottom of that particular mystery.

Jim

19. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I don't like that Bill defended Dumbledore, either. But I understand why he did. Dumbledore is not the high and mighty flawless leader he is portreyed, but Bill recognizes that and still has a moderate respect for the leader of the light wizarding society. It is true that Dumbledore is manipulative, patronizing, and condonsending, but he is also powerful, intellegent, and ultimately has good intentions. I have not even seen any evidence (in this fic) that Dumbledore would be willing to sacrafice Harry's life for the 'cause.'

20. TheJackOFDiamonds

TheJackOFDiamonds Third Year

I actually really like the conversation that Bill and Harry have about Dumbledore stealing the Black fortune. You haven't made Dumbledore a greedy bastard stealing just to steal, but at the same time it's obvious that what he's doing is seriously wrong. I especially like the fact that given what he's using the money for, Harry would undoubtedly have given it to him willingly had he simply told him what he needed it for and asked. To me, that's the bigger issue that Bill was trying to get at, that Dumbledore has no respect whatsoever for Harry's autonomy and doesn't feel the need to involve him in things, even if it's HIS money.

By giving Harry the facts, even when he knows Harry won't like them, Bill is giving Harry the respect he deserves. Harry had every right to hate Dumbledore for stealing his money because he had no idea that Dumbledore was broke or that the money was being used for things other than sending Ron to Quidditch camp (that's still fucked up by the way). Of course, this is all Dumbledore's fault, as he should have told Harry all of that before touching the money that Sirius left him.

I guess what I really like about the scene is that Bill is breaking down Harry's options logically and getting him to see the big picture, but doesn't try to manipulate his decision. This is exactly the type of mentor that Harry needs.

Overall I like the chapter, although I got offended for a quick second at the thought that I got too drunk off malibu rum to run proper game on Amy. I need to get my shit together.

-the Jack