1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Riley, May 23, 2010.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I absolutely loved MW1&2, so I am looking forward to getting this.

Edit: What JTP said about FPS' on a console too. PC is the only way to go with an FPS imo.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Hate CoD multiplayer (fuckin' camo. Whatever happened to good old fashioned Red vs. Blue teams, where I could actually see the enemy?), so I'll probably just grab this game for the SP if it's any good.

Oh, and PC of course. FPS on a console, pfft.

3. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This was the first time I bought a CoD game on console out of preference. CoD5 & MW2 I bought on PC first and then later got them on console. Found them both more enjoyable there to be honest. So I'll be bashing some out on XBL later.

4. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My xbox is dead. I could not be more raging right now.

5. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

I'm getting it now, and off to the dentist for a little surgery in about an hour. Hope I feel up to playing it when I get home.

Fast release though, less than 24 hours after the game goes for sale.

6. Vengashii

Vengashii Banned

hahahahha why

7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Fair warning for PC users, the lag is terrible in game and can spike your fps from 100+ to 5 in an instant.

On another note FML the Ballistic Knife is awesome. I killed 22 people with it in a ranked match and died only 7 times, and most of those kills were from jumping into the thick of enemies and knifing the FUCK out of them, it was glorious.

Edit: Vengashi; Because I wasn't home.

8. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

god damn it, I so want to buy this and waste time on it. Instead I have to be an adult and take care of rl things. :(

9. Euroclydon

Euroclydon High Inquisitor

I know how you feel man. I'm waiting for the new disk drive I ordered to come in. :/

10. Jon

Yeah.. As soon as I got home I dropped 7 hours on it from 5 15 or so to 12 am. @_@

11. Jon

Have I mentioned you have to wait 2-3 seconds after zooming on a sniper before your shot will hit the target? seriously, line up a shot, perfect accuracy on target, fire and you'll miss, unless you wait 2-3 seconds.

FML.

You know it's fucked when an assault rifle with iron sights can get more kills than a sniper at long range.

12. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Pretty sure they did this to reduce quickscoping. Treyarch often takes a wildly different approach than that of Infinity Ward so you'll see things that are definitely out of place to the Modern Warfare crowd.

For instance, the frag grenades are now more powerful than the semtex.

We buy the new COD because we want a change in content, not a change in mechanics, and tiny alterations like these can have drastic effects on the way the game is played. Sure some things need fixing from one game to another, but changing things that aren't broken is a bad habit that Treyarch nas never really gotten out of.

I also just hate Treyarch.

13. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

I don't play the MP aspect due to the camo issues (why can't I fucking SEE my goddamn opponent!?), but when I tried out MW2, I absolutely HATED the level system. Why should I have to play 50 hours to use a certain weapon? Why do I need to wait so long for a game to be fucking fun?

That's the one thing I like about this new CoD MP, the cash system. Play a certain amount, buy the weapon YOU want, not the one predetermined by the dev.

14. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Copy/pasting this from another site I posted one:

Played it. Pretty good. Got to a bit in Campaign that was just irritating. People constantly respawning while you slowly advance through a corridor, only to have some fag zerg you.

Online was alright too, Went 18 - 1 in my first game on Radioactive. I'm still not sure what I think of the money system. You still have to unlock guns before you can even buy them which I thought was bullshit, but meh. Maps are pretty good, except a jungle one which plain sucks. But there's a really small urban street one which is plain awesome in how frantic it gets.

I've only played with an assault rifle so far. Probably won't mess with sniper rifles until I'm more familiar with all the maps (and I actually have the game and don't have to play on a friend's copy). Being able to split-screen and go online is fucking legit though.

JohnThePyro: Bullshit. You still have yo unlock weapons before you can buy them, and if you were having trouble seeing people then you need your eyes checked. Camo only affected guns in MW2, unless you mean the Ghillie suits snipers can unlock, which aren't that hard to see, especially if you use a thermal scope. Most snipers have stopping power so they don't have to hit twice, and won't be rocking cold blooded.

15. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Ah I didn't know you had to unlock weapons still. Well fuck that then, I'm definitely not buying the game now.

As to trouble seeing people-Dude, the levels were often drab grey or bright green, with the people also being drab grey or bright green. If you play like how I play (moving constantly very quickly) it's often hard to see where people are, much less whether they're on your team (unless you watch about their heads for the names, which is a death sentence if you wait to check)

I'll stick to my old Q3 mods, the red/blue team never goes out of style there =D>

16. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

My style of play is all about rushing people (which seems to surprise them when you're using a sniper rifle) and I disagree completely. :p

17. Jon

No, fuck you.

Do you know how huge a gap 2-3 seconds is when sniping? You fucking DIE within that amount of time fucking easily.

18. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pyro: Call of Duty has always tried to be as realistic as possible, Treyarch or not, and that's one of its major advantages over games like Quake and Halo to millions of people. The camouflage and lack of bright, ridiculous outfits and maps are a direct result of that and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I always feel like Treyarch works its ass off to bring back the old CoD2 style which Infinity Ward threw away during MW and MW2, but I really don't like the look to everything as much... I was watching my buddy play a few maps and it was as disappointing to me as WaW. Maybe I'm just too big of an Infinity Ward fan.

The changes in sniping seem completely retarded to me. I was a Kar98k and Mosin Nagant fan back in CoD2, R700 in MW and Intervention in MW2, and I'd get some sick scores on PC against players with MGs. Now it just seems pointless, unless the maps are so giant you can sit on one side and just blow through clips.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  19. TSN

TSN Auror

well they arent but there is some map with good high ground area you can hide and snipe off in hardcore mode. but in normal i don't recommend it because of killcam.

20. Paimon

Paimon That fucking cat

Yeah, the MP lag ranged from decent to unplayable yesterday. I probably won't put much more time into the game until they fix it. I don't particularly like dying due to being frozen. ~_~

Also, it's pretty damn retarded that you can't fire the Ballistic Knife while running. It's only utility ATM is stabbing people quickly. Hopefully there's a perk that can fix the running issue.