1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Catharsis by Nuhuh - R

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Innomine, Dec 23, 2008.

1. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

I read the last three (four?) chapters a few days ago. My only quibble is that I thought the story ended not necessarily too quickly, but that Dumbledore's motivations weren't explored enough to explain why the story ended this quickly. Since a sequel is apparently forthcoming, I hope that Dumbledore's character will be explored a little bit more.

4.4 stars.

2. Vorpal

Vorpal Third Year

We can grant this for the sake of the argument, but there's no evidence for such a speed one way or another in canon, simply because it would be improper to take the subjective duration when we don't know the intermediate state of the traveler's body or mind. (But let's ignore it and carry on anyway.)

But that's a silly point in the first place. That time dilation occurs as a function of velocity is just as true for muggles walking across a street; the fact that wizards can travel faster doesn't constitute time travel or any special mastery over time. In fact, if your above conclusions were correct, it would imply the complete opposite: during apparition, the prior structure of spacetime binds the apparating wizard.

As said previously, if at no part of the process the traveler leaves his or her light cone, then no time travel has occurred according to any observer whatsoever. In other words, if it's not outright superluminal, no time travel occurred.

The original statement was about wizards, not magic (the most natural interpretation implicitly meaning wizards as portrayed in HP canon and/or this thread's particular story).

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Go make a thread, and debate whatever the fucking walls of text are about there. This is a for review thread, not your personal geekground.

4. Lucky_Number_sLevin

Lucky_Number_sLevin Banned

Fucking gobblins. I Just read the story, 4.7/5. The only thing I didn't really like all that much was the abrupt ending, but I understand the reasoning behind it. Definitely a good read.

5. SEG-CISR

SEG-CISR First Year

Wow. I had read the first few chapters before, but never got around to finishing it.

The last chapter was epic. Definitely a 5/5.

6. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I just read the last two chapters and I must say I was very entertained. The storytelling was effective, and it didn't dance around effective plot devices just because they're overused.

The duel was slightly hurried, and the mirror magic was sort of confusing, but it was above and beyond those written in the majority of stories.

I also have to echo sentiments about the lack of information regarding Dumbledore, including why he looked so young or why he acted the way he did. I suppose you've left it for Book 2, which I hope you realize you must write now.

Looking back on this story, I have to say my favorite part was the highly original interpretation of what an Arithmancer really is. Full marks simply for that. I hope you or others explore this concept further in future stories.

5/5

7. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I agree. Particularly regarding the arithmancy bit and the sequel.

5/5

8. azurit

azurit Squib

I love how after final chapter you understood what Mr.Pym meant he taught Jamie arithmancy. Anyway, probably the most brilliant and original timetravel I ever read.

5/5

9. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Love this fic, it's quite probably my favorite time-travel fic of them all, mainly for the bad-ass Harry and his mind-bending powers. The duel with Dumbledore is epic as well, by not going into detail with it I think it captures the essence of what a duel between two powerful wizards should be.

One of the truly excellent fics out there. 5/5

I forgot to mention how much I loved Fat Todd, best OC ever!

10. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

I think Fat Todd almost beat out nonjon's Bob the Dementor. ALMOST! I think the only reason he didn't was because it didn't have as big a role in the story as Bob did in nonjon's.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  11. Tashio No Daiymo

Tashio No Daiymo First Year

Very, very good. 5/5.

Loved Fat Todd, reading about his thrusting actions had me crack up.

12. jjack1003

jjack1003 Second Year

definitely one of the nest stories ever, I hated the ending though, i hope there is a sequel
    5/5

13. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

My pet theory is that Harry going back in time to change the past may have caused other wizards or entities to later go back in time and change the past again, creating sort of a chain reaction of chaotic change centering around the time during and prior to The Second War. This could explain young Albus, Harry's sister, and the other inconsistencies. The mysterious powers that protect against time travel may have actually been created as an "end result" of all this muddle through time, and they are using Albus to kill Harry Potter and hopefully restore some order to the timeline (preserving their *newly* dominant position in it of course).

I doubt this is really what happened, but I love me a good Time War.

5/5

14. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

15. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Great stuff. I wonder if this is an alternate universe or just an even more thorough perversion of the timeline. Either way, I like the mysterious way that you're letting a lot of facts about this new universe come out, and I hope you keep updating this.

16. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

I thought for a second you made Dumbledore female in this time-line.

Tense.

goblins.

Single 's'.

I lol'd at that.

Ma'am.

Sirius.

I had just started rereading Catharsis arc 1 a few days ago. So it was a very pleasant surprise to find that you have started working on the sequel.

As for the chapter, I can only say that it was excellent.

I like the way you have shown James so far. Usually people just make him a quidditch obsessed prankster. While he might have been that in his adolescence. It is only logical that he would have changed since school, after getting married, being a father and fighting in a war.

You have also managed to masterfully craft Ariana Dumbledore's character. There are a few similarties to Albus but she is still different.

I liked the different factions and figureheads you presented in the story. More factions meaning more conflict.

I hope that we will see more of goblins in the future chapters. Would like to see some wizard and goblin battles.

I assume that there is no Harry Potter in this time-line, as you mentioned James having daughters. Or perhaps Harry exists and it has something to do with the obliviation Dumbledore did on Lily and Lily's animosity towards Dumbledore.

Also, the Order was not able to find Harry, which can only mean that Harry was able to leave by himself, since, I doubt Bianca's charms would hold out against such an intensive scan. Would be most interesting to see what Harry does to rescue his sister and to those who took her away from him.

This is an awesome beginning to what I am pretty sure is going to be an awesome story.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  17. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

HOLY SHITBALLS IT'S HERE! 8D

Low on time right now, so I'll edit it a review later when I get to read it. :D

18. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Quite the awesome start, and certainly not what I imagined when the first Catharsis arc ended. Character wise, it contains uses I've never seen before in FF, which is something that's not easy to do.

I hope to see more soon.

19. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Level of intrigue and fuckIwantToReadmoreNow is over 9000, nuhuh. This is how you create an AU. The different POV's work great, especially here, as we get glimpses from various points into the new world. Enough so that I can start to grasp the differences, but short enough so that I now have a tons of questions I want answered. That, coupled with wanting to see what will happen to Bianca and Harry, is what drives the story currently.

And I agree with JF, Adriana turned out very well. She might just be my favourite character ... well, after Bianca. Now if only you had little work to do, and much time to write, sigh ... I'm wanting to see Harry steamroller the order, if they hurt his Bianca?!

:p

Great stuff, nuhuh.

20. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

JF~ Thanks for the edits. Glad to give you the pleasant surprise of an update. I am hoping to write all the marauders in a non-typical way. Let's see how successful I am.

Oz~ your reviews are like cake. I'll believe it when I see it.;)

VoN~ Truth be told this is a different direction than I had been planning when I wrote the end of the last arc. Hope it doesn't disappoint. Thanks for the comments about characters.

Sesc~ lol, glad to see you getting into it. I was enjoying building the intrigue. Glad to know Ariana Dumbledore is working well.

Chapter has been edited now with JF's help. Thanks.