1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Cauterize by Lady Altair

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Mutt, Dec 13, 2010.

1. kalespr

kalespr Fourth Year

I also thought this was already in the library. I remember reading this quite a while ago, and just gave it a another read.

Still a 5/5 for me.

Incidentally, this story was the 'inspirational prequel' to the Albus Potter and the Mispent Youth series, if I am remembering correctly.

2. gullibleoats

gullibleoats Seventh Year

I thought it was touching. What it lacked in length, it made up for in heart. I don't think I've ever liked a Creevey this much before.

3. PapaMidNite56

PapaMidNite56 Second Year DLP Supporter

Really good. This makes me think about a book I have with photos and stories of soldiers in Iraq. I can almost picture the exact same thing with the survivors of the war.

5/5

4. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

A nice one-shot, nothing truly moving but a good read none the less. 4/5 from me.

5. Remmy

Remmy Fourth Year

I really loved this one, it made me smile in a bittersweet kind of way. There were two scenes in there that really stood out for me: the first Lavender portrait where she's not only displaying her massive scars but actually flaunting them with pride, they are her spoils of war and the other scene was with Arthur and Molly when they stood in front of their grandfather clock with their hands joined and Dennis mentioned the little clock-hand that represented Fred that the two of them had held onto even after so long.

Very touching story that was only compounded with solid, soulful writing. There was just this element of detachedness so that whenever Dennis came right in and explained something emotionally, it really hit the reader. I don't know if I'm explaining this well but this story stands out for me.

5/5

6. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

This is easily the single best oneshot I've ever read, in any fandom. 5/5

7. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

...this is an interesting review

8. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Ehh.. Personally I liked Evil Be Thou Good a fair bit more than this.

This story was decent though.

9. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

This. There was nothing in this that captured me at all.It wasn't remotely compelling or special.

I'll go 3/5 purely because the technical aspects of the writing are good and I appreciate what the author was trying to do.

10. Teresoul

Teresoul Seventh Year

5/5

I liked this oneshot very much, but I find it odd that none of you managed to mention the actual punchline.

Everyone had their scars, and no matter how cute or hideous, small or big they were, they wore them with pride. And anyone knowing how they got them would stare at them with respect.

Except for Draco Malfoy's scar. Where the Dark Mark was, there's now a small, almost negligible scar, but it is a true scar, one that will make people retch and stare at him like he's an abomination.

I think he is scarred more than anyone else in the fic.

Just a thought, a quick conclusion.

11. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

To each their own. I found EBTMG to be poorly constructed, and I found Ruskbyte's characterizations of the Cenobites a bit weak. It may have been more enjoyable if I found Hellraiser to be remotely interesting, but I must admit the entire franchise makes me roll my eyes. The quality of the prose was excellent, but the story itself was rather average.

12. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

The story is decently written.But it's no 5/5 material.

I give it a 4 at most.

13. cloud91

cloud91 Fourth Year

Couldn't have said it any better, when I was reading this I could see my friends sitting for the same pictures.

5/5

14. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

Haven't been so annoyed at a tug on the heartstrings since my dog died in Fable 2.

...and I'm not even joking.

4/5

15. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Christ almighty. :facepalm

16. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Well, that's why Neville's not the hero. That's how you make one character a little bitch in three sentences.

Also, Evil Be Thou My Good is 40,000k words, and if Ruskbyte divided it by years and posted it in chapters, fewer people would be misled into thinking it's a one-shot.

If Joe posted the entirety of Wastelands of Time in what is technically one chapter, that wouldn't make it a one-shot either.

17. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I actually thought it was good. That was the heart string-tug line for me; besides the Fred one.

18. kalespr

kalespr Fourth Year

I thought it was rather poignant as well. There is a lot of scar symbolism in canon, and I rather liked this as an example of a non-physical scar. Not only that, it nicely tied the first war into the second.