1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

'Changes' Cover

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by fuubar, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Nick said this was true (more or less) in SF, at the end when Harry talked about crossing over. On one hand, Harry believed him. On the other, there were several contradictory lines in earlier books.

By the way, I hope you don't actually believe the BC is made of thralls. Especially since we know of at least one non-thrall (Cowl). And most of the attacks were incrediable well planed, and nowhere near mindless.

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

That's what I was referencing. I think the contradictory stuff is that Butcher hadn't fully worked it out at that point. I could easily be wrong though. I think what he means is that the Red Court is being used, almost like thralls of the Black Council. I don't remember it, but if it really has been implied, then he could quite certainly be right.

3. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Just a thought, but if he does go to South America, I'm going to be pissed. He just got Demonreach, can we PLEASE see him use it first? I'd hate for something that cool to be like the necromancer's book, seen once and totally forgotten.

4. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

There will probably be a book or two before it's really used. Like with Lash. However, it has been stated that it's important, so we'll see it again.

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Another thing that could be featured, if we do see a change of scenery, is use of Necromancy against Vampires. How many of you remember Dresden's threat against Mavra, referencing the book of Kemmler, and how he now knows how to use Necromancy against the back court.

Question is, can you still use it against the red court? Thoughts? This just randomly popped into my head, no idea if its feasible or not.

6. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Black Court = Corpses = Necromancy Useful

Red Court = Giant Bats = Necromancy Not Useful

7. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Necromancy is always useful. You just have to get creative. Example: a big ass fucken T-Rex

8. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Wasn't Lash the one supplying Dresden w/ the info from the book? I don't think it said anywhere that Dresden actually retained knowledge of The Word after Lash disappeared.

9. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

More or less this. Though he probably remembers the basics of necromancy. But the WC would probably come after him if he used

10. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I dont think it says he doesnt. He can still play guitar.

11. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

But the guitar thing was a Last Gift from Lash, and is very different from a helpful Shadow with a perfect photographic memory.

12. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I think it's still an open thing. I mean it hasn't been said one way or another yet so you never know.

13. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Well, the book was written in German, and that's made people suggest that he simply could not remember, but that may not necessarily be the case. His memory isn't like Lash's, so he's not remembering the actual pages anyway. The question would be whether his recollection of the knowledge Lash related to him disappeared with her. He might simply still have the basic grasp of what Lash translated for him, which was the entire book. He might not remember word for word, but there's a chance he knows some serious Necromancy from that night. But wasn't the Word just instructions for the darkhallow anyway? The T-Rex, I had thought, was basic Necromancy aided by the atmosphere and urgency of that particular night.

14. Koalas

High Score:
    Basically this. The Word may have included other information and teachings but the Darkhallow was what was relevant at the time. I also do not see how Dresden could 'lose' any knowledge from Lash's disappearance. If he knew something he still knows it and if he didn't he doesn't.

15. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

He might still know it, but can he recall it correctly? I mean, from how the book told it, it seemed like Dresden was in a rush and skimmed the book so Lash could later tell him what he needed. Lash was the one relaying directions and everything to Dresden for it, afterall.

And did it state anywhere that Dresden knew Necromancy prior to reading the Word? I mean perform it, not know about it.

16. Koalas

High Score:
    Yes he did skim the book. It was also in German. Which Dresden doesn't speak. And whether he recalls it correctly or not is irrelevant depends on him as it is his memory, which was the point I was making.

He knew the basic theory as do most wizards apparently. And according to Dresden himself Sue was basic necromancy, it just required a lot of magical muscle.

17. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Sue needed plenty of power due to her size. Luckily Dresden is more than slightly above average.

Bob says Lash took the blow sparing other parts of Dresden's mind. Parts like memory.

18. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Yeah, but Dresden didn't memorize the Word, Lash did. And even if he did, it was in German. A Language Dresden doesn't speak.

19. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

But if he can remember Lash herself, then he remembers his interactions with her, which would include her telling him what the Word said, translated from German. That is, if Lash actually told him.

20. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

She didn't actually tell him, if memory serves. She just supplied the information he needed as a form of "instinct"/reflex. It's like when you do something so often that you don't even need to think about it to do it again.

Been a while since I read through the books though, so I could easily be mistaken.