1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Changes in the HBO Harry Potter show?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pikachu, May 16, 2023.

1. Pikachu

Pikachu Banned

What do you think it's likely the HBO show will change compared to the books?

I'm thinking in terms of how what is 'canon' might twist in a similar vein to how it did after JKR released Cursed Child. With her helming this as a more faithful adaptation she might claim it as just as canon as the original books.

I am expecting them to cast a black or mixed-race Hermione and a generally more ethnically diverse group for main characters. I wouldn't be surprised if Lupin or Sirius was also a POC for example.

Some other changes I would expect for the medium of tv:

Some different perspectives, including Dumbledore, Snape, really important chars pov. Get more of the what happened behind the scenes in the books.

Certain characters being introduced earlier or later to maintain a static cast. For example expect Luna to pop up earlier than in the books.

Who knows anyway most of the tv adaptions are barely faithful to the books anyway as seen with the WOT show. Since it's HBO they may age up the characters, make it more of a darker/adult show.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dumbledore will be played by Charles Dance. Flitwick will be played by Peter Dinklage and retconned as Dumbledore's bastard son.

Harry will be played by Kit Harrington and whenever anyone says he is the Boy Who Lived will respond "I don't want it."

All Goblins shall wear a Star of David on their outfits.

The only magic is the magic of friendship and/or diversity. No spells shall be depicted on screen in the entire series.

3. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Don’t forget Tonks needs to be legit gender fluid. Like make it into an entire story arc.

4. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

Don't forget a main character doing a stupid dance in an attempt to go viral on TikTok.

5. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I know you’re joking, but it would be pretty interesting to have that explored with a metamorphmagus. Like what really is gender, or even a sense of identity, to someone who can change everything about themselves with the drop of a hat. And unlike everything else thrown out there it’d be the easiest way to throw in diversity while making it canon compliant-

but JKR is in charge, so I wouldnt expect to see that any time soon lol

6. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Tonks is obviously gonna be a furry, she literally gives herself animal traits for fun all the time, and ended up marrying a werewolf.

7. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    While I get where you're coming from, you have to remember that A) Any wizard capable in transfiguration can technically do that and B) What you're imagining sounds like it'd be better served as a piece of work completely unrelated to Harry Potter. Like, it's such a bizarre direction to take Harry Potter media down.

8. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sorting hat gonna have a thick Chinese accent, uncle roger style.

9. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Maybe not Tonks, but this is JKR we're talking about, so maybe she'll reveal that the reason Voldemort became a freaky snake face was a gender-change ritual gone wrong.

10. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

“It’s terrible dark magic, Harry, to desecrate your soul and body that way.” Dumbledore said.
    “But why would he do something like that?”
    “He wanted to go into woman’s bathrooms Harry, and anyone who spoke against him was attacked.”
    “By spells?”
    “No, far worse- being labeled a TERF.”

11. Stealthy

Stealthy Groundskeeper

Harry and Dumbledore will face the unspeakable horrors of being canceled on twitter

12. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

In a way, isn't that what happened in Order of the Phoenix?

13. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

Nah, Dumbledore got fired from too many things. You're supposed to be able to ride that shit out with only minor consequences short of going, like, full Kanye.

14. Pikachu

Pikachu Banned

Imagine if Daphne Greengrass becomes a main character and has lesbian romance with Tracey

15. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's a fanfic for that...

16. Pikachu

Pikachu Banned

Or a Tonks/Fleur one. I'd watch it just for it. You know what I actually think we are gonna get flashback Lily/Snape. You just know the movies will inspire it and James and co will be shown as a bullying assholes. Hell Draco might be whitewashed and Ron demonized who knows.

17. Slayer Singh

Slayer Singh First Year

Dumbledore will strangle Harry with his beard. You know, 'For the Greater Good'. And then he'll blind Voldemort by wearing 'fashionable robes', that are the colour of Dolores Umbridge's clothes.

That's the only way I'm watching the TV Series.

18. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    I just want Jared Harris to play Dumbledore. Probably needs a bit of make-up, but it would be a lovely touch as well as a good fit IMO. And he‘s only a couple of years younger now than when his father started playing the role.

19. James

James Unspeakable

when I read “Jared”, my mind filled in “Leto”, and my heart stopped for a moment, curse you.

20. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Ah dammit. Too bad we missed out on Sean Connery as Dumbledore. Would love to see if Bryan Cranston could pull it off.