1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Circular Reasoning by Swimdraconian - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ip82, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Well......good for you Draconian LOL

2. Tidus86p

Tidus86p Second Year

I shall ,sensei.Just trying to help.

3. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

Shorner looks, sounds, and acts like a competent guy doing his job to the best of his abilities. I think even he realizes that he's in way over his head atm with what he's dealing with, and is trying to find the best possible outcome he can create out of this. Shorner's full character beyond that hasn't been shown, but in terms of doing his job, he comes off as a professional.

Question, do the Horocrux's exist in this story, and if so, did Harry ever come to learn of them? Also, at any point would Luna beg Harry into getting her a pet from the realm of Winter?

A few random thoughts and ideas now that have no purpose other than "here's something neat, feel free to steal it if you want to".

We know that the ministry uses a basic (and flawed) tracking charm to see when violations of underage sorcery have been commited, but we also know that the logistics of going everywhere to personally place the charm on the children as/when they're born is insanely hard to do, even with magic. Perhaps the Ministry of Magic instead uses an enchanted artifact that creates a very long ranged (it would have to have a range equal to most of the UK, at least), yet weak ward, which attaches a simple charm or spell to the bodies or magic of the children when they're born. Perhaps this idea could be of use.

We know that Harry is going to have to take down Voldemort's Inner Circle. Perhaps we should be asking "Who would stand to gain from their deaths" instead of just "How can Harry get away with killing them." The very essence of Divide and Conquer is in killing one of your enemies and getting the rest of your enemies to stab each other in the back in their paranoia and fear. When you cannot track your Quarry to ground, leave them no ground to run to.

Pun-Pun. The most powerful creature in all of the realms of the Fae perhaps?

4. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Another chapter has been uploaded at ff.net and at PatronusCharm.

In answer to your questions, Robo Jesus: no, Horocrux's do not exist in this fic. They seem to me like a cheap literary device used only when the author isn't creative enough to come up with a better plot than a "holy grail quest". As for Luna begging Harry for a pet from the realm of Winter, hmm, is it just me or do I smell trouble? :p

I could have way too much fun with that.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  5. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Hah! I get to be the first reviewer on the new chapter. Anyways, excellently written with very few grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors. (Yeah, I know I'm anal about it.) Keep it coming, one of the few original ideas that keep me guessing and interested. I have no fucking clue where this is going, and that's the first time that's happened in a great many years.

6. Swimdraconian

Wow, that was quick. I'm impressed.

Yeah, the only thing I was really worried about with this chapter was the conversation with Sirius. Thankfully, Uthra shouldered the burden of playing Devil's Advocate and challenged me to do better than my initial effort. Without his help, things would have been very different. I don't think I can put enough emphasis on that.

7. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

I just happened to be signed in to get the alert lol I found that (unusual for me) I stayed interested all the way through instead of just skimming like I usually do. The conversation dragged it down a little, but not enough to make a real impact.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  8. Swimdraconian

This chapter and the next are going to be very dialogue heavy. But don't skim! Though you may not think it, the plot is moving very fast right now and the little things are important.

9. Uthra

Uthra Squib

The rest of the chapter is a nice read, Mic.

I think it is important to never tell the whole story. For example how damaged Sirius is, what happened in Surrey or where Harry's future priorities will have to lie. Nice work.

And if you need an advocate again, feel free to ask.

10. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

The new chapter is very well done.

I like the role reversal, where Sirius is in awe and fear of Harry, as opposed to the other way around.

It would seem, with the new development of Harry being an official ministry official, he's not going back to Hogwarts. Unless I read into that wrong.

11. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Harry told Sirius to trust him to clear his name, and said that he'd go to Hogwarts to capture Pettigrew.

Unless I'm reading it wrong too.

12. Swimdraconian

Nope, you read it right.

13. Tidus86p

Tidus86p Second Year

I enjoyed the conversation between harry and Sirius very much, It was definitely a nice twist. And I can't wait to see harry explaining the whole "It was all a lie" thing to Dumbledore.

14. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Well, one of us was correct at the very least.

Thanks for the clarification Swindraconian.

15. Humbolt

Humbolt Seventh Year

Wonderful fic. The only time travel story I can stomach.

16. Swimdraconian

*Iz ded*

I ran out of steam with this chapter. Not sure if it was lack of patience or inspiration or whatever, but I iz very ded.

I have part of the next chapter up in WBA, what little I have written of it, and I would dearly love for you to go rip it to shreds.

Seriously, murder it. I want you to - don't restrain yourself on my behalf.

[link]

17. Swimdraconian

I'm double posting. Bite me.

I went ahead and uploaded the chapter to ff.net and PatronusCharm. I've come to the conclusion that I've done all that I could with the damn thing and it was either post it or delete it.

That said, I'm already plowing ahead with the next and it looks to be much smoother than this last chapter. Or at least I think it will flow better.

Kudos to FollowtheReaper, Uthra, and Korisovra for their help, betaing and suggestions. Beware, I may ask for input again.

Cheers,
    Mic

18. Humbolt

Humbolt Seventh Year

The chapter was so-so, but you did say as much. It provided some insight into Harry's mindset thougj. I'd say that the chapter was a 3/5.

19. Swimdraconian

I'm rewriting parts of chapters four, five and six so that they read better. My writing from 2005/2006 was fairly awful, borrowing from other books and movies. Now that's just embarrassing.

The new stuff is posted in WBA. [link] (Hint: scroll down)

Chapter four is already up and five is on it's way.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  20. mikeuni

mikeuni Squib

I like this story and it is one of the best time travel fics I have ever read. I thought the last chapter was a little bit of a let down but that might be because the others were so good.