1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 4

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Midknight, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I still play Civilization II: Gold Edition now and then.

Not even joking. The later editions became too much like Sim City to really appeal to me.

2. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I still have the original Colonization on my laptop. S'great.

@Grub: My point exactly. The AI has no knowledge of naval tactics, and never engages your fleet in any meaningful way. The end result, if invincible offshore batteries for the human player.

Beyond that, the travel distances of ships usually means at most a one turn stop between continents - not exactly the stuff epic naval battles are made of. The exceptions being some of the Giga mods I used to play for Civ III - but even there, the potential for a naval battle is for naught if the AI is incapable of doing more than sending out an odd destroyer.

I can see the appeal of Civ IV - and I love the micromanagement as much as the next guy. Hell, I spent more time in MSpaint looking at dotmaps and troop placement than in the actual game at times... But it just feels to me that Civ IV has a lot of microwork that existed simply for its own sake, rather than moving gameplay forward. That bothers me.

3. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Civ 4, Bts, Fall from Heaven mod. Kick it up to the next level with Kael's Great mod. Real Civs with real stenght's and weakness's religions that have good and bad points, and the opportunity to raise Hell on Earth. Check it out.

4. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

God, FfH is so fucking shitty. It really is. I honestly do not get why it has so many fucking fanboys.

5. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

They need to make Civ 2 freeware already.

6. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Anyone have links to the original Civilization? I've been trying to find it off and on for a few days, but I've gotten frustrated with all the so-called freeware site that want you to pull the proverbial sword out of the stone before they'll give you the fucking game.

7. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

IIRC, the first game they produced was Master of Magic. It was my favorite for a long time.

8. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

I like Civ Rev but honestly it has nothing on Age of Empires.Civ Rev was supposedly downgraded but AoE was better in battle.My dream is a game that incorporates the city managing element of Civ and the battles of AoE

9. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Bah... Civ Rev is just to kiddish and simple for me. Ive got the demo on my PS3... I dont like it at all.

That said, I am one of those proclaimed IV fanboys. I love that it actually gets more difficult over time. I hate that the majority of game companies are tossing out so many short, beat in a sitting games.

That said, CivIII is still awesome. But beyond a doubt, the best one was the first one I played. CivII for PSX. Those cheesy advisors? Mother fucking EPIC. Castro and Elivis? GENIUS :awesome

10. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

The truest comment on this forum, I scrounged around on ebay for weeks last year to get a copy of the original civ, with it's terrible polyphonic music introduction it's four save game slots per drive and it's great you just blew something up noise. Plus those damn technology questions still screw me over, I got the CD but not the manual and looking them up online is just cheating.

Those questions are almost as bad as the ones in Railroad Tycoon, the original where you had to identify ruddy trains.

11. Evran

Evran Dark Lord Grimwulf DLP Supporter

Civ 4 BTS by itself isn't fun to me anymore either. I play mods that make it difficult. Like Rhye's and Fall, my favorite. You can't have a Giga Empire because you'll collapse and be left with one city, or your nation will exile you to bumfuck.