1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization V First Impressions

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Midknight, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is setting Workers on automate a good way to go?

I'm kind of lost when it comes to what they should be doing, so I've just been letting them run wild and do what they want.

2. Cull

Cull Second Year

No. With 1UPT, MM is less important, but still pretty useful to have, and probably still a must in high level MP games, and really improves your single player too. In Civ 4, automated workers in MP would lead to team members just dropping.

Workers actually, due to not stacking, are pretty much forced to delete unless you're in a crazy war, laying down juicy plains farms like the shit. Plus, mantience costs on the higher levels make inactive, or non useful workers a delete upon not needed.

3. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Stop jacking off over how elite you are and use your words like a big boy.

Edit for clarity: 1UPT is 1 unit per tile. MM is micromanagement. MP is multiplayer, though most probably know that.

So what he's saying is that because there's only one unit per tile, micromanaging your workers is less important. Which... I'm pretty sure is retarded.

Edit for further worker discussion: I tend to let the lay of the land dictate my improvements. Farms next to rivers and lakes (they get a boost way before non-irrigated farms), trading posts on plains or grasslands that aren't irrigated, lumbermills in forests. Hills are mines at my capital and major cities, trading posts otherwise. Anything with a resource gets the relevant improvement. This way, everywhere except mines has at least one coin of gold coming in, and therefore get the golden-age boost, and the only tiles without hammers are the breadbaskets - riverside grassland farms and floodplains.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Make sure you go into the settings file and fix them bastards to not delete existing tile improvements, otherwise they'll keep fucking with the same stuff over and over.

5. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Okay, at the risk of sounding totally retarded; I have no idea how to build naval units in this game. They don't show up in the list of units I can create (like...alongside workers and monuments) and it's getting really annoying.

6. Audeamus

Audeamus Sixth Year

You can only recruit those from cities you built(or conquered) right next to the sea. Rivers or influence area don't count, it's a rather stupid game mechanic.

7. Cull

Cull Second Year

No. With one unit per tile, and with no stacking workers to increase the improvement built speed, its really only a matter of "how do I want my military on turn X?" and "where do I want my workers on turn X?" and combining those two to create the optimal play. However, with stacking units, micro managaing every worker, esp. the Civ IV India Fast Worker, using a spare worker turn to chop a forest one turn, move to grass, and farm, takes a little more time and effort than move Worker 1 to Tile 1 first, move Worker 2 to tile 2 second, and so on.

8. Fiat

my city is built directly on the coast. I still can't build naval units.

9. Audeamus

Audeamus Sixth Year

And Sailing is researched as well?

10. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

You need to build a harbor first.

Liked Civilization IV, but it becomes somewhat tedious after a while. I doubt my computer can support this game anyway, so I'll give this one a pass.

11. Midknight

I just got riflemen before I'd unlocked much, lol. Hit a motherload of ruins in one small area that upgraded them a few times. Gamebreaking if I choose to use them, no one can stop me!

12. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

How long does your game times usually last? (Epic Length)

I average around four hours, an hour longer than Civ 4 with the same number of AI opponents.

13. Midknight

14. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

How many opponents? Whenever I play it is way longer than that, although I don't tend to go straight towards military victories so that tends to extend the length of my games.

15. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

Usually I play against three other civilizations, and never open my borders to anyone (except Catherine the great- she's a slut.) until I'm at least in the industrial era.

I find a cultural victory much more satisfying than a military one, and make sure at least two religions are founded in one of my cities. It's great fun to watch my cultural borders expand, swallowing enemy cities until they defect to me.

16. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Ah Ok. I normally play against ten on a huge map, so it takes forever to make it through a game.

17. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Well I just got the game and after getting used to how the game was different from Civ IV I liked it. I normally play with 18-20 AI's and 24 city states. My games normally take forever because I play the neutral with the weaker powers and ally with the stronger players. Then once I get to about the industrial age I use up all of my hoarded gold and upgrade my units buy off city states and conquer the smaller people around me. By the time I get to the modern age I'm usually in control of my continent or island.

Another question for you guys. When you attack other cities what strategy do you use? I normally have my faster units charge in and attack first wiping out the enemy units in the area. Then my heavy units and artillery come in and take the city.

18. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

So, I finally finished my first run-through. I did the biggest world on epic length game time. I actually achieved the Science Victory and now I'm onto conquering the only other country left. Why the game put Alexander of Greece on the North American continent is beyond me but I have a big enough army for it.

The only real problem I had with this whole game so far is the amount of times I was either asked to help in a war or they "are concerned about the expansion of my territory" as in stop buying land near us. It's really irritating.

TL;DR I delayed killing everyone to see my rocket go whoosh and cutscenes are a bit annoying.

19. Fiat

That always happens to me. It's like they mistake 'Alexander' for 'Innuit.' He's always past the treeline.