1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP [Come Sail your ships around me] By [LionsandTigers] - [M]

Discussion in 'Other Fandoms Review Board' started by rob14, Mar 12, 2021.

1. rob14

rob14 Squib

Title: Come Sail your Ships around me
    Author: LionsandTigers
    Rating: M
    Genre: Gen - Romance
    DLP Category: Other Fandoms - ASOIAF/Game of Thrones
    Pairing: Stannis Baratheon/Sansa Stark
    Summary:
    A young boy refuses to part with his goshawk. A secondborn daughter is born first, and named heir. The story has been told over and over throughout the different lifetimes. The Song of Ice and Fire. This time will not be very different from all the lifetimes which came before it. But it's different enough.
    Or:
    The Lord of Storm's End rides north with his brother and meets Lord Stark's young heir.

Link: AO3: https://archiveofourown.org/works/12806706

A good AU that is updating consistently again. It has two main points of divergence in the present(a Stannis decisions /character in the past ; Sansa is born first and is heir. In the past when the North joined the Seven Kingdoms and the background thereof.
    From the summary point of divergence we are starting to get into the meat of the story. We are alternating different POVs.(Main ones being Stannis/Sansa with several interludes and a prologue that explains the background of the setting) We are in the middle of Book 1 and the seeds for far reaching changes have partially been planted. The story is advancing at a good clip plot and character wise.

The romance is a slow burn and thus far it has not distorted the setting or other characters. I am hopeful and pretty sure it will not do so in the future. The author seems more interested in telling a story with romance and not the other way around.

In summary one of the better ASOIAF fics I have red. For what it intends to do it is a 4/5 - 5/5.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  2. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Does it explain why sansa would be heir over the boys? Or is it just kind of hand waved away. If Sansa is born first but any of the boys are still born they would inherit before her.

Im not rating it unless I read it.. and feel free to reassure me... but my worry just from the description is that this sounds like a plot convenience to create a sansa/stannis romance rather than actually thinking out the changes of the action which may or may not lead to said romance.

I'll try to take a look at it and see.. but that summary makes me worried

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  3. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Yeah read it. Or half of it. That was horrible for me tbh sorry. I suppose if your pure romance maybe? But it was just so unrealistic every step of the way. It was also poorly structured with the chapters. Essentially all the events are quick sign posts until stannis and sansa come on. Maybe im too harsh but I just couldn't get over the unexplained reworking of the world for no logical reason I can see. I dont mind an AU that changes a premise, but when your just willy nilly reworking things left or right not because of the divergence but just 'cause' meh. And i didnt see any amazing writing quality to off set it.

4. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Is there still a 20ish year age gap between the characters? Sansa is 11 at the beginning of GOT and Stannis is in his mid 30s at least. Unless this picks up when Sansa is like mid 20s it sounds off putting from the outset.

5. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

The story starts off with a miscapitalized word.

Every scene is super short.

The author tells far too much, in both overtelling and retelling what is already known.

Jumps around far too fast to get invested in any view point characters.

2/5