1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Completed HP Fics with 'Solid' Endings

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ched, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I was trying to think of HP fics that are both 'complete' and had what I'd call a 'solid' ending. I'm going to put these in three categories, because I'm interested in a specific sort of story, but I don't want the thread to be hindered by what I'm looking for.

What do I mean by a 'solid' ending? I mean an ending that both wraps up all it's plot points AND does so in a satisfactory manner (I.e. it 'feels good' as a reader). I feel that canon might have managed the first, but for me definitely not the latter. The wand ownership bullshit came out of nowhere and felt like a cheap cop-out (to me).

If it's a series, either list the series as a whole OR list the story in which Harry defeats Voldemort. I.e. Part I of III might have a good ending, but I'm looking at the primary story arc.

Note that this does not mean the story itself has to be good, only that it completed with what you would call a solid (as opposed to let-down) ending.

Potential Spoilers Ahead (Not Too Bad)

Category One: Traditional HP fare. Starts when Harry is between 10 and 17. Climax is Harry defeating Voldemort.

Renegade Cause - Silens plotted this like crazy, and since he's a regular on DLP I won't spoil it. But it does start with a school age Harry and it does contain Voldemort's defeat, so it counts. The ending was satisfying and tied up the loose ends, though overall I don't think I quite gave the story a 5/5. Read it if you haven't!

Sacrifices Arc - I hesitate to put this on here because it's slash and there's a bunch of other irritating shit going on in it, but it did have some original ideas, it's complete, and it tied up it's plot threads for the most part. I remember Harry having a twin in this one, and the prophecy being all tied up in LV's eventual defeat, but I can't remember precise details.

Stranger in an Unholy Land - I realize that it has an incomplete sequel, however the original story meets the requirements as it starts with a school-aged Harry and ends with him having defeated Voldemort. In this case he moved into an alternate universe where his other self was reasonably badass, and went from there to defeat Voldemort in a more-or-less straight fight if I recall correctly.

Backward With Purpose - Again this story does have a Part II, but Part I wraps things up. In this case an older Harry ports back into his younger, school age self along with Ron and Ginny. They use their future knowledge to prevail. The sequel deals more with a 4th unknown time traveller who fucked around with things and adds to the existing story rather than continuing it.

The Time of Destiny - Part II of a series by Abraxan. I honestly can't remember how it ended, sorry, but in my mind I remember it as having been a story with a solid ending but way, way too much fucking romance overall. Refiner's Fire was 6th year and Time of Destiny was 7th year. It might not actually have a good ending for all I know, but I'm not going to read the whole thing again just to decide if it deserves this spot or not.

Category Two: Non-standard HP fare. Includes any non-crossovers that don't fit into Category One.

Incorruptible: The Dementor's Stigma - Zombie Apocalypse! Matt tied up all his plot threads and it was a generally well written story, but it takes place after Harry is an adult and LV is already dead.

Black Comedy - Hilarious and enjoyable. It includes Voldemort's defeat in an original manner but involves a Harry who is no longer school age.

Category Three: Crossovers.

The Denarian Series - One of my favorites. It's a crossover with the Dresden Files but I found the series to have one of the most satisfactory endings of any HP fanfic I've read to date. Denarian Lord was Part III and included Voldemort's defeat at the hands of a rather badass Harry Potter.

Category Four: Any of the above that an original idea for the ending that was executed poorly. I'd probably put canon here.

Other stories I've read that are complete but that I cannot recall how they ended and if it was original/satisfying or not. Maybe they'll ring a bell for some of you and you can summarize the ending, heh.
    HP and the Final Chapter, Taking Control, HP and the Battle of Wills, HP and the Final Straw, HP: Dark Memories

So as you can see, there aren't all that many that I am able to think of. I'd like to see or hear about more in any of the above categories. Why am I asking? Partly for brainstorming purposes, and partly because I want to see what kinds of satisfactory endings others have come up with. Ending a 100k+ story in a way that makes your readers sit back and feel content is fucking hard. I want to see how it's been done in Harry Potter fanfic. It's a different beast than it is for writing original fiction because of inherent expectations.

2. yourself196

yourself196 Squib DLP Supporter

Wrong forum I think? You posted in other fandoms on accident.

I always thought bumble in the jungle and its sequel had a satisfying ending but I read it years ago.

3. Ched

Fucking hell. Can someone move this?
    Moved. Thanks Xiph0.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  4. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I like the cut of your jib.

First of all, you asked a question with a specific set of requirements (as opposed to a generic "what's your favorite ending in HP fanfic"?)

Second, you provided your own examples, and broke them down into categories.

Third, you said why you were asking. I can't believe more people don't do that. Hell, I can't believe I don't do that. It's pretty rare that you come up with a discussion point for absolutely no reason, and your motivation for asking helps to frame an answer and guide the discussion.

Um. Anyway, that being said, I could only think of a couple as well:

Category 2: Hogwarts Houses Divided

Wraps up all the major plot points quite nicely (4 friends, 4 houses - anyone mis-Sorted? Next generation carrying scars and prejudice from the war - progress made, not solved completely, which would have felt unrealistic. Goblin antagonists defeated satisfyingly). I felt like I'd read a story with a very solid, very classic dramatic structure and a coherent beginning, middle, and end.

Category 1: Bungle in the Jungle/Turn Me Loose

I'm less sure about this one. The ending was satisfying, but I'm not sure that's the same thing as it being a good ending or an enjoyable one. It certainly wrapped up the major plot points effectively, and had a classically, thematically appropriate "look to the future" epilogue.

I guess what I'll say is that when it was over, I felt like it was over.

Category 2: Stages of Hope

I'm probably all on my own here - I've never seen it discussed, but my sense is that it's very much outside the usual fare for DLP. It's unabashedly a melodrama, and a few of the specific plot points I know are huge pet peeves for some here. Still, it's a favorite of mine. Some of the character moments are quite lovely. The beat with Hermione going into the library, the way Neville reacts to the alternate universe Draco, who's a Healer and a nice guy...

Anyway, this one ends in one of those "frozen moment right before something big" things that would normally drive you crazy, but is 100% appropriate for the story. It's satisfying the way the end of The Amber Spyglass is satisfying, in that you want to punch a wall because it's so goddamn bittersweet.

----

Man, going through my bookmarks to search for good entries to this list has made me realize just how many stories I consider "great" are either unfinished or have sloppy/bad endings. Huh. I guess it's not the destination, it's the journey, to a certain extent.

5. Ched

I've read this one, and I agree.

Still haven't read this. But since it's in Category I it has now jumped to the head of my fanfiction reading list. Thanks.

Heh, I'm actually the one who originally put this story up For Review on DLP. I enjoyed it as well, but I didn't personally include it here b/c Voldemort and his defeat weren't /really/ included (even though they technically were). But you're right that it does have a satisfactory ending all things considered, so good point.

I know right? I was surprised at how few came to mind for me.

6. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Re: Bungle/Turn Me Loose

Fair warning, you might want to just start on Chapter 3. Instead of reading the first two chapters, just put yourself in the "Harry good, Weasleys/Dumbledore/Hermione bad" mindset.

7. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

Thanks. I was debating whether or not to read the series, but I can now happily skip it.

8. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

This is a bullshit statement every time I see it. "Skip parts of something." Take it as a whole dammit. Especially in this case when that shit comes back around later.

Anyway... technically fits under category 1. Make a Wish by Rorschach's Blot.

Still enjoy the ending of this even though the story is nowhere near as good as it used to be.

9. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Cat 3 Browncoat, Green Eyes.

Has aged remarkably well, one of the most common fics I have reread.

EDIT: Here is some more for the list.

Cat 3 Demon's feign, Merlin's Pain What is there to say? The story ended on a high note, rather then it feeling like it was just wrapping itself up.

Cat 1/2 The Lie I've Lived Also wrapped up nicely, although it could be continued, where it stopped left you satisfied with what you read, even if you were also disappointed there wouldn't be more.

Cat 2 Timely Errors One of my favorite fics of all time, time travel done right. Along with The Lie I've Lived it could be continued, but it also stopped at the perfect place to keep you satisfied.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  10. Stan

Stan Order Member

You forgot the terrible, terrible Luna characterization. Everyone is so fucking OOC from the get go is it beyond annoying. The South America chapters are still cool though. Its getting there that's the problem.

Anyway, I've a few nominations to make.

Category 1:

Wastelands of Time : Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet. Time travel Harry with him being reborn again and again. A Voldemort who is more or less unbeatable. Ancient magic, Gods and Demons. A winning combination by all standards. Has an unfinished sequel though.

The Resistance of Azkaban : Voldemort wins the second war and takes over the ministry completely. The only group resisting them is the Order of the Phoenix, now under the leadership of Harry Potter and residing within the dreary halls of Azkaban. Excellent action scenes. Great Worldbuilding (not as good as PotDK but good enough and more in line with canon) and nice portrayal of international politics.

The Unforgiving Minute : Voldemort has taken over. The resistance is all but dead. Harry Potter travels back in time for twelve hours to the day of the third task, in which he has to destroy all of Voldemort's horcruxes and Voldemort himself. He has a plan, but of course things go awry....

The Phoenix and the Serpent : Not finished per se, but the author did finish one major arc, so its at least as complete as Wastelands and Renegade cause. Starts off real slow but really gains momentum as the story goes along. The best OC characterizations ever. The Moody-Gallowbraid feud really gets you really invested, and Dahlia's backstory is amazing. The story started in 2004, so there is some stuff that contradicts canon (like mad scientist Mundungus) but you get used to it soon enough. Warning for a non-DLP (aka more or less canon) Harry. He gains a few tricks as the journey goes along though.

Seventh Horcrux : Crack fic. Voldemort's Horcrux takes complete control of Harry. As good an ending you can get, I suppose. Completed on Spacebattles.

Category 2:

Equal and Opposite : Best depiction of Harry falling into the darkness ever. The story really gets you invested in the Harry/Jamie stuff. Excellent ending. Unfortunately no sequel [WHY?].

Unatoned : A Daphne who is as close to an ice queen (or whatever they call it) as you get. Strong, beautiful and unrepentant evil. An auror Harry who is more or less fed up with life and is called to investigate the Greengrasses. Unwilling to give it up at face value, he investigates deeper and soon learns that he should have never opened that can of worms....

I guess the Alexandra Quick series belongs here as well.

Category 4:

The Firebird Trilogy : Some truly novel ideas and worldbuilding to start off, but the harem stuff really bogs it down in the later stories. I don't think its unreadably grim-dark like most of DLP, but there is no doubt that the later stories aren't as good as the first one.

The Strange Disappearance of SallyAnne Perks : Intriguing beginning, not as good ending. No one but Harry remembers a Hogwarts student called SallyAnne Perks. Being the insufferable Gryffindor that he is, he just can't let it go. Que a castle-wide investigation involving House Elves, Portraits, Ghosts and Snape. Good story overall, but I wasn't very satisfied with the resolution of the mystery. Also, Dobby teaching everyone the principles of Arithmacy made me stare.

That's all for now, I guess. Its my dearest wish that stories like On the Way to Greatness, Boy Who Lived, Prince of the Dark Kingdom, Forging the Sword, By That Last candle's Light, Gravesong : Requiem, The Potter Politics, The Minister's Daughter and Hogwarts Battle School would join either category I or II some day.

At least Methods of Rationality is guaranteed to be complete. That's a good thing. Right?

11. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

It's explained and she's redeemed later

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Category 1

Stonger than Hope. AU after OoTP, a few HBP details. An obsessed, grieving Harry has decided on a dangerous way to defeat Voldemort. Snape is paying closer attention than before, but his contempt for Harry blinds him. Eventual Snape as Harry's guardian story. COMPLETE

The Weapon
    After Sirius's death, Harry devotes himself to learning magic in a desperate attempt to protect the people he loves. Warnings: Profanity, Extreme Violence, References to Non-Con -Not of Main Character-, Dark/Questionable Harry

What Lies Beneath COMPLETE. H/Tracey. The diary left more than battle wounds. Voldemort's ingenuity planned for more than Harry initially assumed. The time has come when he must pierce the shades of grey that colour the Wizarding World. A fast-paced, psychological thriller.

Do novellas count? If so:

Category 2

Narcotic Effects. After the final battle Harry can find solace in nothing and believes himself to be a failure because of the loss of his friends. A certain manipulative, platinum haired woman decides to yank him out of the downward spiral that is his life. HarryNarcissa.

Amortentia. AU of HBP. Romilda Vane was as cunning as any Slytherin and when she decided she wanted something, she got it. What she didn't factor into her scheme to gain the love of the Chosen One was that he might just be as much of a Slytherin as she was. A Love Story. Harry/Romilda.

Category 3

It’s All Relative on the Hellmouth. Harry Potter finds a new relative in Sunnydale. PostVoldemort, Harry needs a distraction. Hope Uncle Rupert can help a powerful Harry before the power takes control. Complete.

13. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

And here I was thinking there wouldn't be any mention of a Darth Marrs fic in this thread. Seriously is there anyone better at setting up a massive buildup followed by a slow death and abandonment then Marrs?

14. Stan

Stan Order Member

This story is ridiculous. It is bad enough that everyone is OOC, they are OOC in a way that makes no sense. Harry is almost the complete opposite of his canon character - he is happy being set up and manipulated, and has no sense of loyalty whatsoever. He ditched his friends the moment he saw Romilda. You know, the same friends who risked their lives and fought DEs for his sake a couple for months ago. No person with a shred of decency would act the way Harry did.

Ginny is characterized even worse. I realize that most stories that have pairings other than Harry/Ginny show Ginny in a negative light (if they have her in the story at all, that is), because of course Ginny has to be evil for Harry not to end up with her. The least you can do is make her a competent antagonist and not have moments where the girl who sucks Harry's dick in that particular story stomps all over Ginny because you write her to have the intelligence of a troll.

The less said about the Girls' multi-year plans and massive conspiracies to win Harry's interest the better.

Romilda at least is interesting. Interesting in the sense that I'm fascinated by the depth of her delusions and keep hoping that someone would slap her hard on the face. And maybe then give Harry a Cruciatus or two. And then torture everyone else in the story as well, because there are barely any likeable characters and I just don't give a fuck.

I cannot imagine how on earth can anyone enjoy a story with such God Awful characterizations.

15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why did you make the same post twice in separate places?

Regardless, the question was specifically for fics that have satisfying endings which tie up the plot of the fic.

I do think the story is good, but even if it wasn't, your post is misplaced.

16. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

That's a staple of many of the "Harry and Daphne/Susan/whatever other OC with a canon name the author loves" stories.

17. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Oh that's where that story has been hiding. I've tried sever times to reread it and could never find it guess my google fu is weak.

From what I remember I can second that recommendation. It's a little bit on the angsty side, but it's still one of the better Buffy xovers.

18. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Path of Decision.

Dont want to spoil it, but it ties up the story in both a narrative and thematic sense very well

19. Knoq

Knoq Temporarily Banhammered

Prince of a Dark Kingdom. By Mizuni-Sama. She recently completed it, rewarding all her fans with the slash sex they have been waiting for. She put it all on Spacebattles and the last update there, as she has abandoned her FFN account.

Notice: This is obviously just trolling, please ignore.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
  20. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

That story actually ended? Kinda thought it'd just keep on going...