1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Contest: Summer Challenge, 2006

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BioPlague, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Does the story have to be complete by September or will it go by which story is best so far.

2. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

Complete. But we're not looking for long epics, up to 50,000 words will suffice but if you can write more by September 2nd, then we're not going to stop you.

3. BlueMagikMarker

BlueMagikMarker Pirate King Yarrgh's First Mate

Damn, I haven't even written my first fic to that point yet :p.

I really don't think you should underestimate the amount of entries you'll get... I know that a lot of people on DLP alone will be entering, and I'm pretty sure you'll get a fairly good response elsewhere too. I just hope that you all are up to the task of forcing yourselves to read through all of those H/G fluff stories that are sure to be submitted ;). Who knows, maybe you'll even find your calling in post-HBP H/G... ... Ok, maybe not. But don't let it poison your mind too much.

Can't wait until the challenge is announced. If it looks like something that I could write then I'll definitely enter.

4. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

The details are still being straightened out, but I think too many entries would be a fantastic problem to have. And it's not like just anyone can point towards a current HBP fic and say that's a submission. The author will most likely have to submit their fic for consideration and identify it as an entry.

And of course it has to be complete. You can't judge on the potential of an unfinished fic. The difference between a WIP and finished fic is as significant as a car that actually runs and one that may or may not look pretty sitting in parts in the garage.

5. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    So, the details are being released on the 16th, right? Just wanted to make sure.

6. Master Slytherin

The details are being released on the 4th - Tuesday. Entries begin to pour in on the 15th/16th Jul.

7. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    Okay, thanks for the clarification. :)

8. f77

f77 Backtraced

Again, who's pocket is the prizes coming from?

9. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Simply the Judges; the funds required are already set aside.

10. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

It was a Shot at the Fourth book, remember the Cup at the end of the maze? @_@

11. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

Do you expect, as this is a post HBP story, to have an end to the resolution? Or, could it be simply a finished story (ie like all prior HP books up to date)?

12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

You mean do you have to kill Voldemort? No. But the story will probably have to be about the war one way or the other, eg. you can't write about Harry going off somewhere and goofing around.

13. carnivalofcarnage

carnivalofcarnage Second Year

I commend you on choosing judges who are not overly biased in thier views of what pairings are and are not acceptable. Since this is open to the public I hope that this will allow you to keep an open mind so even some of the non-DLP members could stand a shot.

Also congratulations on picking judges who seem to comment more on the quality of an author than on the concepts of a story. This also will ensure a more objective look on the stories. That being said, I don't envy you as I can imagine this being a hard task to do.

14. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

This looks really good, i'l definatly be entering, but i agree with Litha, there is jst no chance of some1 like me, who hasn't written much FF can stand against a distinguished author, sure there isn't chance of an amature section, maybe make no prize money, but just for people who would like to be recognised as an upcoming author

15. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Well, the problem is who should be deemed "distinguished"? Who gets to decide that? Remember, everything about fanfiction is by default amateur.

Besides, you'll do just fine. The only difference between yourself and "distinguished" authors is that they've posted their work and you (still) haven't. So... get crackin'! :)

16. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

I see what you mean, this will be really good, i can't wait, hopefully I'll get started soon, I agree with the point earlier, good choice about the judges.

17. Master Slytherin

Don't start yet! You'll need to wait until the 4th July when the challenge will be sent out :) (you don't want to write anything irrelevent now do you?)

A very general piece of advice for when the challenge does come out is to have a rough plan (doesn't have to be detailed) for it because:

1. There's a high chance you won't complete it otherwise.
    2. The key is to impress us. Filler alone won't win you this competition, no matter how good an author you may be.

We're glad people are thinking about entering. We're all look forward to reading your efforts in a couple of months. And please, don't feel intimidated because there isn't a separate "amateur" competition. It's been said before: nobody is professional until they bring out their own real novel.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  18. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

I'm thinking of entering. I'll have to play around with my schedule a bit and see if I can juggle things around to allow me the time to write. I'm looking forward to finding out what the challenge is.

19. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

Whoops! Forgo about that part lol, and yeah, i'l definatly plan this time, as my other fanfiction went bust after 3 chapters, just because i hadn't planned it, how many other sites will be told about the contest?

20. Master Slytherin

Quite a few but the specifics will be announced later.