1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Crouching Lion, Hidden Serpent by Lutris Argutiae - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Lutris, Jan 5, 2006.

1. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I never said that he had to be a prankster just that it doesn't seem that he has any interests, his whole persona seems dull. Hell he could still keep the same personality and play chess or duel or something along those lines. I agree though that the story has skipped way too many things and hasn't mentioned barty junior again, i also am wondering when we will see Sirius again.

2. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

I like that point about Harry being TO dull, but then it could also go in with what IP is saying in that we dont truely know to much about what, where, when of Harry's life before Hogwarts. I think a bit more...aggressive action on Harry's part would be a plus, though i have my reservation about where your going with the whole beaveric mudblood nerd situation. will he become friends with this Hermonster?

3. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Ahh aggressive, i knew i was forgetting something.. I also wonder whats going to happen with harry and the super nerd bossy bitch..

4. tridentwatch

tridentwatch Looked into the void

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Damn Damn Damn!

When I was working on my fic I thought it was original. It was a Barty Sr adopting Harry when he was a baby. I posted it and have the whole plot ooutline and everything! But then I am looking in independant!harry forum and find this. Argh! Now I will have to deleate my work.... I cant have copied things now can I?

Edit: I read the first chapter: BRILLIANT!

5. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

I don't mind a bit. Just the title was a bit infuriating

-good natured smile-

-a few buildings crumble in China-

It's okay though. It's not like my updates are frequent (just wait till summer vacation though, then I'll be cooking), so write to your heart's content.

6. tridentwatch

tridentwatch Looked into the void

You think I should change the title???

7. Lutris

nah, leave it. Just messin' with you. 8)

8. Lutris

Righto. Need some help. Thinking of First Task things right now, and I have arrived at a logical conclusion.

It Is Not Possible To Do Something Entirely Unlike Canon.

Think about it. The three Tasks are like, 1. Fight fearsome creature. 2. Search and rescue from a dangerous place. 3. Evade traps and things to find something.

You want a competition? You want to make crowds ooh and ahh? Then you HAVE to have intense competition between the champions. That means there has to be some sort of fighting going on. Emotional and mental challenges can't move live audiences, especially if you can't see what the competitor is thinking (as it is in real life), and fighting something means fighting something either human or not.

If it's human, then to make the competition fair (and more exciting), all four champions must fight at once- the same as the Second and Third Tasks. If it's fighting a creature, by previous example, the creature must be something dangerous, but with the right means, can be tamed. Dragons can be tamed, therefore can be controlled. Basilisks are out of the question, as they were so unknown in CoS that nobody even considered it before Herman discovered it in the Library. Not to mention the abnormally high chances of death. If it's traps, then there's a certain limit to what one can do, unless one were to...say...borrow... another's ideas.

Second task (or perhaps can be made the First Task)- search and rescue (can be modified to search and destroy) This one is perhaps the only theme that can be changed enough to be completely original. I'm thinking of having each champion having a random lock and key- although they can't match. Each champion must then find the matching lock to their key; and defend their locks against other champions, by physically defending it, hiding it, etc. This can be then augmented by traps and the like, but then that makes it too similar to canon's Third Task...

any ideas here?

9. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    you could do a search and destroy type thing, but have ti that they hve to break through enchantments or something. Like small area wards and such like. This would be a demonstration of their overall pwoer, their finess (I reckon that putting up and taking down wards would be something like sowing, only more complex, if you unravel the right threads then it will fall apart) and knowledge (they would have to know about the different sorts of wards so they knew what any side effects of them being taken down would be.

Of course they couldn't be anything overly fancy, but I like to imagine, that in NEWT charms there would be a section on wards, so that when they leave school and get a home they can put up basic wards and such like.

Another idea for a challenge that would have them all doing it at the same time, would be that in order of the number of points gained so far, they would get to select from a list of different magical disiplines, and they could only use the one type of magic they selected (be it charms, transfiguration, potions, whatever) to get through the challenge. They could get to select their branch of magic, a couple of months before the actual challenge takes place. To give them time to research more deeply into the branch. Harry could perhaps get stuck with somethign he isn't perticularly good at, maybe transfiguration or potions, or you could come up with a new branch of magic, he knows nothing about, but he has to end up selecting, because it is the only one left on the list after the rest have had their pick.

Or you could have it that the judges pick out an esoteric branch of magic for each of the champions, and they have to demonstrate a proficiency in that branch of magic in the task.

Just a couple of thoughts for you.

10. Lucas13

Lucas13 Second Year

just finished the chapters now and surprise surprise! Its a new plot! And great fic! Thats really refreshing for HP fics because I have almost stopped readding them till i found this forum. So update soon!

11. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

12. Dr_Jos

Dr_Jos First Year

Do you know the books of Darren Shan?
    Well in one of the books he has to take trials to prove his worth to the vampire clan.
    You could base yourself on that
    If you don't know anything about the books I'd be willing to help you out

13. Lutris

I have the whole series... it's just ripping things (or concepts) off of other authors seems too... cupdentard-ish. I'm not against it if it's just... incorporating... stuff, but meh. The challenge with the fire was great though, might use some of that. I really don't know. I started writing chapter six a couple days ago, and it's at around 2500-2600 words, but meh. Thanks guys.

14. Raggerd

Raggerd First Year DLP Supporter

Just reread it again, nice work btw. When you do the challenges I hope you will tone the power/skill of Harry a bit down as you dedicated a large part of chapter 4 to the importance of concealing his skills.

15. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

Great story! I hope that Harry continues to be able to hide his true skills even during the tournament. Also will we know what has happened to Sirus? Did he even break out? Was he caught and kissed by the Dementors because harry wasent there to cast the Patronus Charm?

16. Lutris

Sorry if I'm breaking the -don't post the 'this story's been updated'- rule, but meh.

I just uploaded the chapter into FF.net, so it should be up soon.

I'll try to keep a steady update schedule from now on. Thanks, and sorry to the administration for continually ignoring some of their rules.

Hope you guys like it.

17. True Story

True Story Third Year

That new French character seems like she's going to become a Mary-Sue...Please, say it aint so! The chapter was alright as a whole, minus that character in particular.

18. Lutris

No worries- I'm male, and I like to think I'm of the heterosexual variety of people. I never even considered seeing her as a Mary-Sue; however, I see how your train of though was going at the time, so I'll let it pass ;)

Please, if any of the characters and situations seem unfavorable, don't hesitate to tell me, flame me, or whatever, so I can improve on that to make it acceptable. Thanks.

19. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

This story is still going? I didn't know that.

Lutris ftw.

Edit: Read the update. Well done. I like how you've used different people as the champions, apart from Harry and Viktor, but that's cool. I hope Harry does something nasty to that Gryffindor dude.

20. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

I like the fact that it is not an identical copy of the books like many other stories. In many stories so despite Harry not being at Hogwarts so do all the things that happened in the books still happen in the story despite harry not being there.

I like that Hermione lost an arm to the troll, Ginny died and that there are diffrent champions...