1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Crusader Kings 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Coyote, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

You'd... be surprised, but okay.

2. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

opinion_tyrant = {
    opinion = -10
    months = 120
    }

They'll think of you as a tyrant for 10 years after your last tyrannical act. If you commit a second tyrannical act during those 10 years, then you get a -20 opinion and the 10 year timer resets.

So be nice for 10 years.

3. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Super.

I haven't really gotten around to messing with CK 2's files yet. It's on the to do list though; my copies of EU3 and HoI 3 have tons of little personalized tweaks.

4. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Everyone's getting assassinated

So, I started my new game (after fucking up my old Save File by installing CK2Plus in the most retarded way possible)

I chose Sancho of Castille. Two well-performed assassinations later and I was king of Three Kingdoms of Spain, with Adelheid of Holy Rome as my wife. She gave birth to a pair of sons - Aegon and Aerys - before I decided that Roman backup in my Holy Wars wasn't worth quite as much as free land, so I married the Dutchess of Aquitane.

The dutchess gave birth to a daughter, but unfortunately died mysteriously shortly after, followed directly by her daughter. This, of course, left me in control of the Duchy of Aquitane and the Kingdom of Aquitania. Funny how that worked out.

During this time, I was simultaneously fighting holy wars and trying to get rid of Barcelona - who was fighting the same set of Holy Wars for the same land. I struck gold when I got a claim on the Duchy of Barcelona and then began attacking him for counties - that is, until I found out that France was an ally of his. At which point I was stomped into the dirt - me, a pathetic king of spain who'd only reigned for six years and them the Kingdom of France.

Just kidding. I crushed them about as easily as Barcelona and spent the next few years taking one duchy at a time from Barcelona and taking whatever muslim lands I could.

I married a princess of Byzantium because, honestly, why not? I felt like it, so I did it. She gave me two children - a boy and a girl - before dying young. These children both inherited her claim to Byzantium - literally the most useless claim anyone could possibly have.

This style of life continued for a while. I fought infidels and took their land so that one day I might become Emperor of all Hispania. Then I was excommunicated.

Turns out I'd been ignoring some truces between me and Barcelona and Navarra used the amount everyone automatically disliked me to have me excommunicated while I was in the middle of a war with Servilla. I had to trade two counties to the pope to get back on his good side, but when I did, my vengeance was swift and agonizingly painful. I asked the pope to allow me to invade Navarra, and, after we'd become such great friends, he let me. I took it immediately.

After this, I turned my gaze northward and saw that the Queen of Norway was single. After I married her, all of her previous children suffered some...unfortunate accidents, and my son by her eventually came to be the heir to the throne of Norway.

I should probably note that, in my game, Norway took England completely.

When she herself suffered an unfortunately untimely end, my son - lovingly named Viserys - named me his heir. It was a shame when he himself died, leaving Norway and England to me.

Yet, somehow, when everything was sorted out, I inherited England alone and claims to the rest of his holdings.

Of course, I decided to deal with this in the most reasonable way possible - by invading Norway and conquering it.

So, long story short, I'm a 67 year old Emperor of Spain who holds half of france, all of England, and 90% of Norway. Also: All but two of my sons are dead, and one of them is a bastard.

EDIT: Ended up choosing the maimed non-bastard over Jon, because even as fucked up as he is, he's got better stats and a better lineage.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  5. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Bravo good sir. Bravo.

6. yak

Is this a bug, or did I screw up?

I'm the King of England and wanted the Irish county of Desmond. Desmond is an independent realm ruled by an earl. I invited Cormac, who is both the heir and a pretender to the throne of Desmond, to my court. I forced him into a matrilineal marriage with a Saxon girl so that he'd have Saxon kids in the future [can't have the filthy Irish ruling their own country after all].

I went to wage war on Desmond and had 2 choices for CBs. I could either choose a succession war in Cormac's name, or "press Cormac's claim". Pressing the claim was the only one which would end up with me as the king of Desmond, so I pressed Cormac's claim and handily won the war.

As soon as the war was won, Cormac ruled Desmond as an independent earldom and not as my vassal or as part of the Kingdom of England. There was no rebellion, and he loved me, but still... I didn't invade Desmond just for him.

The last entry in the game log says "Cormac: King Harold the Conqueror becomes new liege." but the game state doesn't reflect that.

Any ideas why this happened?

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You have to be the de jure liege of the county or the person you're fighting the war for has to be part of your dynasty, if you want the county to become part of your nation.

8. yak

I don't think that's correct. I've pressed a previous claim in Ireland for an Irish lad I'd invited to my court and Enna was neither part of my dynasty nor was any part of Ireland in my de jure realm.

I pressed Enna's claim for the county of Leinster which made him an earl under my rule. I then created the duchy of Leinster, named him duke, and then pressed a second claim for him against Ossory.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Huh, that's strange.

10. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Just curious Fiat, did you have the mod that Tehan linked loaded? Because that makes it very difficult to beat France, if only because you can't get mercenaries to bolster your forces. I found it VERY difficult to fight them.

11. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    In my experience, if you're pressing a claim for a county once you take over the new ruler will be your vassal if he's a member of your court. Ducal claims go independent, so you can probably nab them if they're part of your De Jure realm.

Incidentally, it seems like I end up with a fairly high mortality rate on wives (and not just from strategic assassinations). This has led to me pretty much constantly having a 50+ year-old king with his third teenaged wife in a row. I'm starting to suspect that my kings are all dirty old men who bump off the current queen once she starts aging. Why can't they just start cranking out bastards like normal lustful kings?

The fact that every two kids or so I end up with a new wife does add some complications though. The family tree is very interesting with all those half-siblings.

12. Fiat

Because of the way I installed it, I can't not have the mod that Tehan linked loaded without reinstalling the game.

I assume that my 'victory' over them was much like Mishie's 'Victory' over them and Holy Rome - I.E. they didn't care much about Barcelona and were probably fighting someone else at the same time.

Also: Looking at my save screen, the 'difficulty' is 0, but it actually should be -47.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  13. Aurion

Aurion Headmaster

Did Enna hold any title in your realm when you pressed the claim for him?

14. yak

No, he didn't. Enna was already married so I couldn't even set him up with a saxon girl. The turn around on that war was quite rapid. Almost as soon as he accepted the invite to court I turned around and pressed his claim against Leister. At the time, Leister was held by a non-de jure duke to the north.

That was my first interaction with Ireland.

15. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the only way to install it. The other way doesn't work.

16. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Unzipping the .mod file and the folder into the mods directly in steamapps/common/crusader kings ii and checking them on the opening screen worked for me.

17. yak

It's not just Enna.

I've recently invited Bardulf de Penthievre to my court [I don't recall where he came from] who had a claim to the County of Penthievre in Brittany. He already had a Breton wife and kids. I didn't give him any titles, but when I pressed his claim for the county against the Breton duke and won the war, Bardulf became Earl Bardulf and his county of Penthievre is part of the Kingdom of England.

That was my first act on the continent aside from helping out some allies in the Iberian Peninsula.

I've read some advice which says that you have to grant "invite to court" claimants a local title [making them your vassal] if you want them to still be your vassals after pressing and winning their claim. That hasn't always been the case in my limited experience.

18. Fiat

Quick question, Tehan: in the mod, can you hold more than one Emperor title?

19. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

You can, but as an Emperor, you can't *create* King or Emperor-level titles, though you can still usurp them. And each Empire will have it's own separate laws, so you'll have to manage them carefully to avoid them splitting off during a succession.

20. foreveryone

foreveryone Third Year

Could anyone be kind enough to upload the latest version of the CK2plus mod? I've 'loaned' this game from a friend, and therefore have no access to the Paradox Interactive forums of CK2.