1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Culture Shock by Ruskbyte - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Link, Jan 2, 2008.

1. pieman3141

pieman3141 First Year

A crossover with a book sci-fi? Win! I've seen too many crossovers with sci-fi series on TV for that to win me over anymore.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Looks a good enough fic, and the books the crossover is based on seem interesting... It just can't help but wish that he would continue Flying Without a Broom instead :p. So funny...

Aekiel

3. Calis Clayr

Calis Clayr Seventh Year

One of the smallest countries in the world
    Well, HSRTG's post cleared up some stuff. A lot of stuff actually:p

I do wonder how he's going to make Voldemort a challenge though, when you see how far ahead the Culture is, compared to modern human society and technology. But it's Ruskbyte, so it's bound to be interesting anyway.
    Then again, maybe Voldie will be wiped out in his first year, and some new threat will arise...

4. Wisdom's Mountain

Wisdom's Mountain Sixth Year

For those not familiar with the Culture series, as I am, a skim through everyone's favorite website will provide you with pretty much everything needed to understand what is happening in the story. 4.5/5

5. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

New chap is up. And it's good. This chap is merely a transition between Harry's home (is it Orbital something?...) and Terra. All the really fun stuff, I presume, is in the next one. By "fun" I mean Harry meeting Dumbles, of course.
    Harry having his first sexual exprience at the age of 11 (barely 11) is... unusual, but I guess it's OK for people living in Culture. They are genetically modified, after all.
    I find "The Minds" entertaining. They are manipulative all right, but amusing nonetheless. The whole idea of ultimate intellects that rule the world play matchmakers for an 11 years-old kid was hilarious.
    Finally, I really want to see where Rusk is going with that whole Harry/Sma idea. Anyone has any idea how Culture folks look upon incest? On the second thought, it's not technically incest...
    Anyaways, this story is in top 3 of my "waiting for an update" list.

6. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

I am not as interested as I thought I would be, just having trouble "getting into"
    the Culture side of the story.

Your mileage may vary.

7. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

Beautifully written and interesting crossover that captured and held my interest from the start. Not much more to say about it other than I'll be eagerly waiting for more. Oh and the ship names are highly amusing.

5/5 Without a doubt.

8. Lhefriel_Medies

Lhefriel_Medies Fifth Year

What a pimp. I wish I was special enough to have almost the most potent artificial intelligences possible to plot to breed me at age eleven. Such is my misery.

9. 100thlurker

100thlurker Squib

It's the Culture.

You would have done it anyway, just not as much, and not as soon.

10. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

He's rusty, and it shows.

Strange crossover. Let's see if he can make it work.

11. Neo2b

Neo2b First Year

Way too early to vote, first I'll have to see what the conflict will be. Crossovers like this are always a bit difficult to get to work.

And why the fuck are you rating a story when it's just starting up?

12. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

Halo is an orbital... a very small orbital.

In the Culture. He's probably been "Playing Doctor" since he was old enough to say "Show me yours and I'll show you mine".

The minds are kinda like that. When you have a brain the size of a planet you can multi-task rather well... ;)

Culture Ethics in a Nutshell: If it feels good, and it don't hurt no body, just do it! :)

I just wonder hows the Death Eaters will react to Effectors. ;)

13. Lhefriel_Medies

Lhefriel_Medies Fifth Year

Because he's already done an excellent job of laying out the plot, and he's given enough hints as to the immediate future to guarantee that the fast and interesting plot will go on for at least a few more chapters. Plus, considering how this is Ruskbyte and all, the rest of his material should continue to be consistently strong. And, as The_Fine_Balance has already said, he's a bit rusty, which means that we've yet to see the best. I'd say something like, "Why the fuck don't you have a brain?", but I suppose that it's a valid point. It just has a very small probability of actually coming up.

14. vinais

vinais Second Year

I liked the story so far. Its very well written. I really felt lost at any point of the story even though I have not read any of the novels. Loved the names of the ships too! :)

15. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

An update, at last. Fuck, I hate cliff-hangers. There isn't much to say. Everything juicy is in the next chapter. A/N's after the chapter were informative in terms of explaining some Culture stuff an Harry's character, though.
    How long is he intending to make this fic?

P.S.
    Those names are getting better and better.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  16. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

Almost there now yay! It seems now as if magic does nothing against Culture tech.

17. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Gotta love the little name jabs. Sufficiently advanced technology.

The arthur C Clark quote of "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

18. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I can't wait for what's gonna happen to Snape the first time the git tries to bully Harry. Legilemency will be FUN to watch when used against someone with laces. Getting in Harry's face and screaming at him will trigger his little robot defenders. Watching someone with what counts as a photographic memory simply riffling through the text books will upset all the Ravenclaws.
    I wonder how the Hat will react to someone with actual alien artifacts in his brain? Will he end up with the same wand? Will his mother stay nearby at Hogsmeade?
    So much to anticipate. I keep thinking I should get one of these books, just because this story is so much fun.

19. semil

semil First Year

I'm honestly more curious how Harry will adapt to life in Hogwarts. There's mention of how the concept of ownership seems alien, so the concept of aggression must be more so. Snape's "I hate you because of your dad" and Malfoy's "I hate you...er, because" are so far out of his experience who knows how he'll react?

And just in general how many 11 year old kids do you know that act politely?

Though I do think it would be very entertaining if someone in the common room (of whichever house he ends up in) calls for him, and Harry walks out naked.

20. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

There's no reason for Draco to hate him actually, initially atleast. Draco started his grudge because Harry humiliated him on the first day on the train.

That has nothing to do with this Harry or any dimension travelling!/AU! Harry.