1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Culture Shock by Ruskbyte - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Link, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

That's a good point. Harry didn't turn against Draco until Malfoy messed up several times: insulting Hagrid, unknowingly sounding like the Dursleys with their blind prejudices, and then trying to force Harry to chose between Draco and Ron. Ron started the animus with his sneers about Draco's name, and Draco retaliated with remarks about the Weasley families' lack of wealth.
    Harry isn't even going to GRASP any of those points. Actually, he'll probably hang out with the older students...

2. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

More likely just girls, from what we've seen so far...

3. liansk

liansk Second Year

I don't see why a person who is alien to the concept of aggression would walk around with doomsday weaponry and a indestructible protection suit on him 24/7.

4. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I get the feeling that protection suits are not considered "aggression defense" so much as an ordinary caution - like wearing shoes and putting on sunscreen. Sensible preparation, and probably a part of his regular routine. As for the guardians, well, Earth appears to have a poor reputation.

Not that I've read the books. I could be WELL off base.

5. semil

semil First Year

There's a significant difference between intellectually knowing that you're approaching the possibility of danger and being confronted with Snape's unreasoning hatred and aggression.

My take on it:
    For the Culture, whenever (very rarely) anything unfriendly (not just war) happens they can negotiate, discuss, or otherwise resolve it because both parties know each other. Just about nothing short of permanently impairing Snape is likely to break down his own arrogance and preconceptions.
    And stopping his arrogance is really necessary, because I can't imagine the Culture even beginning to understand what causes Dumbledore to keep a man like Snape around kids. None of us understand it, and we LIVE on earth...most of the time.

6. Xanos

Xanos Card Captored and buttsecksed

the voting is over.

Ruskbyte this crossover make you the coolest writer on the face on the earth.

end of story.

7. Vengashii

Vengashii Banned

You asswipe. I thought Ruskbyte had updated.

8. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Yeah, me too. I got all excited ... then, buzz-kill.

9. Shadowglen

Shadowglen First Year

This time it HAS updated.

10. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

And it was good, too.

11. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Brilliant, I read the first 4 chapters last night, wake up to find a 5th :D.

12. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

Yes, it was an interesting chapter. I was surprised to find out about Sma's real age. I expected her to be older than she looks like but twice as old as Dumbledore...

I was also pleased to see that the Minds couldn't explain magic. At least now we are shown that Culture isn't an ultimate civilization after all.

13. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

It also provides a meaningful reason for Harry to study at Hogwarts.

14. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

And we have a winnah!

Having Harry and Sma be flabbergasted by magic's effects presents the reader with a compelling reason for Harry to actually BE there.

If he showed up and was simply going "YAWN! The Culture can do everything you can do... big deal" over and over would be boring and he'd have no reason to be there at all.

I mean consider, the Culture can essentially BUILD and destroy planets... against that sort of scale of power magic comes in a poor second no matter how flashy and neato it might seem at times.

As such, the thing that the author is doing there is just trying to make the reader accept that Harry has a reason for being there.

Though I'm sure that when the professors show up after he's dealt with the troll that there'll be significant questions. It'll likely be a relatively "clean" kill (from nano weapons) but complete lack of magical wounds will likely raise some very disturbing questions in some people's minds.

Though I do look forward to Harry's questioning of scientific method in Snapes Class. To be honest I'm surprised that someone hasn't written one yet in all the fics I've read.

I do however think that the sorting process is going to be a hoot.

Slytherin... no doubt about it. Purely because Harry has no preconceptions about it... and he's a ambitious person.

Somehow I think Draco is going to end up dead before this fic is over.

15. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

* grinning *
    Can't wait to see how AD tries to spin THIS one for Harry's adopted mother...

16. pontfirebird73

pontfirebird73 Third Year

any fic that has draco dying is good in my book.

17. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Slytherin? Really? The culture seems to value intelligence to it's utmost, and ambition seems to be rather...low on it's scale of the "big important stuff list". I'd say a Ravenclaw at a guess.

18. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

I donno. I mean if an average person from the culture was used by way of example ... yeah... knowledge would be where they'd be at. But Harry is unique and may even be one of those 1 in several billion people that has a mind that can make leaps on par with the minds.

And ambition doesn't just mean "to get ahead" of everyone else in a selfish way, it can mean a lot of things. Ambition can be to to further the goals of the Culture, Ambition to really do everything he can to fulfill his potential so that he can be a bigger asset to the Culture. There are lots of ways that one can strive for a personal best through ambition, but have their goal be completely altruistic.

19. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

You know something? I have funny scene in my mind. Luna meeting Harry in a few years time and remarked that why do he have robots with him. And Hermione going on a spree about how electronics cannot function in Hogwarts.

I'm sure that will be one serious WTF!? moment for the Minds, Harry and the drones...

20. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

Actually, the culture is best summed up with two phrases

"Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
    -Robert A. Heinlein-

and

"If it feels good, do it."