1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Culture Shock by Ruskbyte - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Link, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

* snicker *
    Hufflepuff, then. We all know how the 'Puffs really understand "team bonding."

2. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

If that leads to Harry/Susan/Hannah, then I'm all for it.

3. artenry

artenry Guest

For all the advanced technology that the members of the Culture displays, they seem readily stumped by the sheer lack of technology by which the magical race operates.

I'm sure that Ruskbyte will have some plot device in which Harry and his associates will develop technology sensitive enough to detect and manipulate the "delicate energy matrices" that they weren't able to detect before, but I have a feeling that the advanced toys of the Culture are going to run into some problems with the power of magic.

4. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    As for me....I am hoping Harry swings toward Hufflepuff. Harry is first and foremost loyal to the Culture, not to the wizards whose war led to the death of his parents, let him be abandoned on the doorstep of Muggles, and would produce Albus Dumbledore.

5. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Maybe, but he is also the smartest kid there.

6. the13thdragon

the13thdragon Raptured to Hell

True, but what house would that make Harry favour? Ravenclaws love to learn as much as they are smart and I seem to remember that Harry doesn't. So what does that leave? Slytherin favours those who are cunning (which requires intelligence) and the other houses don’t really have anything to do with intelligence.

7. Grubdubdub

He won't go to Slytherin, you need ambition - which Harry doesn't have.

I don't know if he ever had a dilemma that he needed to choose loyalties. Loyalty comes where there's a different option, not due to default.

8. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    13th dragon.....remember, Harry didn't like to learn because the Dursleys pounded into him not to be smarter than their disgusting fatbody of a son. That never happened in this story. Harry compared to the other children of Earth, is a genius of the highest caliber and beyond.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  9. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Hes right, I'm nearly sure that in PS it says Harry got punished for doing better than Dudley at school, after that he deliberately messed up.

10. Grubdubdub

But does Harry really need to learn in the Culture? It seems that everything he wants to know [except of course the magical world] is available to him. He just needs to ask, not to "really" learn it.

11. LuxDragon

LuxDragon Fourth Year

He here at Hogwart's though because the Minds are asking him to learn about his ablilities so they can understand too. The point of making the trip is to learn.

12. Grubdubdub

No, the Minds point of making the trip is learning. Harry on the other hand, doesn't seem to care. Learning 10 human languages is a chore for him, not an exciting experience. Going to earth is dangerous, not a place to explore and understand. All in all, he doesn't really belong to Ravenclaw, but we'll see...

13. goochr

goochr Squib

I think that Harry would do well in any house other than Gryffindor simply because he doesn't fit that type of personality and I can imagine that living with Hermione would drive him insane

Personally a Harry/Sma fan myself

14. Grubdubdub

I can think of at least 2 bozos that are the opposite of intelligence.
    I think it will be Gryffindor or Huffelpuff, probably Huffelpuff.

15. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's been updated again :D. I like how he dealt with the troll, though I wasn't expecting as much gore, I'll admit. The repercussions are looking pretty interesting as well, given Harry's ability to upper-jump.

Aekiel

16. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I'm coming to adore Sma. If she keeps up this level of intelligence, sophistication, and honour, I'll have to place her name next to "Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan" on the Wall of Perfect Mothers.

17. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Vaporized troll ftw. Another awesome update from Ruskbyte.
    I suppose I should actually read one of the Culture series books now...

18. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I didn't like this chapter all that much.

Pacing was too slow, even for Ruskbyte. Too few events took place to warrant this much words. His style IMO works well for heavily 'compressed' scenes, where a lot of strange actions and reactions happen in a short span of time, but trying to write an entire 1st year that way is just tiring and ultimately futile.

The plot felt contrived. Canon Harry had a good reason to play a hero and tackle the troll on his own. This Harry should have just sent one of his toys to scout the situation, *at best*. Also, those two robots were supposed to blast the troll the moment they saw it, if I understood their descriptions from earlier chapters correctly. The way the scene was written, it seemed Ruskbyte wanted to write a faithful homage to the canon scene, so he twisted his characters and their actions unnaturally to do so.

Oh yeah, and Sma's sharp shouting matches with Dumbledore are becoming ridiculous. There's no way Dumbledore would have stood for that much disrespect and negotiating. Their interaction seems overblown, just like the rest of the chapter and (more or less) the story itself.

This fic is still good, don't get me wrong, but it's far from Ruskbyte's best work.

19. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

I have to agree with ip82 on Sma/Dumbledore conversations. Too much shouting from Sma and not enough balls from Dumbledore.

From what I gather, droids didn't attack the troll at first because Harry didn't want to kill it. They disregarded his wishes only when it assaulted Harry.

Everything else was brilliant.

20. Grubdubdub

What could he do? If he grows a pair he is risking her taking Harry away, which is much worse than disrespect.

About Harry rushing to action not realistic, I also disagree. He is naive and it's in his genes.