1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Cursed Child Spoiler Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Jun 8, 2016.

1. pseudonymous

pseudonymous Squib

High Score:
    This play sounds like such a mess tbqh... it sounds like jk ripped off the worst fanfics on ffn with all this time travel/secret daughter garbage... couldn't she have at least ripped off the good fanfics on this site? Even if all the people reporting about how good the special effects/ actors/ costumes were none of that could possibly redeem a plot this bad.

2. Daidalos

Daidalos Fourth Year

Just a word of moderation.

I would suggest that any plot that isn't just humdrum can be made to seem utterly ridiculous, if recounted by someone who is sufficiently biased. This would hold true for all Harry Potter novels, and most other fantasy--if not all of fiction--as well.

So I would caution against these knee-jerk reactions. It's possible it might not seem so ludicrous on stage. There are certainly reviews that suggest the play isn't garbage.

I haven't seen the play, so I don't know. But if it's ever made available digitally, these plot summaries won't discourage me from seeing it.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The play can be amazing and still have a shitty, shitty plot.

4. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

A turd can be shiny, but it's still going to be a turd.

5. blueeyedsidhecat

blueeyedsidhecat First Year

I heard that Rowling didn't actually write so much of play, just some general plot points and then let others work with it.

Still, if this is true, I... I have no words. I can't decide what is worst decision.

a) Destruction of Harry's character. All things aside,I honestly cannot imagine harry being bad dad.

b) Change in world-building. We were already told that Time-Turners can just take you few hours in past, not decades. And now everything of that is for some reason unmade. It would be easy to justify time travel- just put it that Unspeakables were conducting freaky experiment and something happened and sent characters in past. bit random but doesn't destroy world building.

c) Voldemort having daughter.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

HOLD ON.

If that is true, then this play is not canon.

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

If it all is true, it's going to be hilarious. And just wait till they announce film adaptation, two parts to premier in 2019 and 2021.

8. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

9. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just when Fantastic Beasts was looking to be an okay addition to canon, this appears.

Every time I think of the plot it's made me actually angry.

10. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    After the anger comes resignation, I think I should've seen this coming somehow. And the final nail in the coffin: it's canon. Oh well, we can always ignore it, but the damage is already done.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  11. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

She went a bit wonky with Pottermore but there was some good stuff in there.

This is just following her trend of being preachy and not thinking through wider implications.

12. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

That's Hermione Granger for you.

13. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

ABC?

Mythbusters proved you can polish a turd to a shine, but they ended up using lion shit.

It's not fully-formed enough to call an analogy or even a metaphor, but there's a Gryffindor/Harry Potter reference in there if you squint hard enough.

--
    Well, this all sounds like a complete and total cock up. If it weren't for the royal shit-show that the Ghostbusters 2016 trailers have been, I'd almost be convinced that removing seminal works from their creators' hands after their initial success is the right and just thing to do for everyone involved.

I don't use twitter and I hate when people speak in hashtags, but might I recommend #JKLucas for tweets complaining about this play?

Or anything else post-OoTP?

14. Tsar

Tsar Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Remember everyone JKRowling loves her potter fans and is ready to deliver more amazing stories!

15. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

There is literally nothing wrong with HBP.

16. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I think that the fact that Voldemort's daughter is automatically evil is about as insulting as, you know, Voldemort actually having a daughter.

17. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

She just wanted to be loved.

Obviously they were making the comparison between her and Harry. Both orphans but choosing different paths. Although there doesn't seem to be much choice.

18. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I'm sure I accidentally put my optimism hat on this morning, but think for a moment. Imagine the fanfiction backlash that will happen if the play really is as shit as it sounds. Sure, you'll have the standard mountain of turds, but a lot of people will go looking for something to wash the bad taste out of their mouth.

We'll probably see a rise in AU fics along with time travel stories. Half Blood Prince was pretty polarizing too and look at the wave of fics that followed.

19. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Warlocke, ABC is A Black Comedy.

I read the plot section on Wikipedia and if it's accurate, then I can say it would make for one hell of a popular fanfiction if it was fanfiction and the fact that it sounds so much like bad fanfiction leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Some plot points are just atrocious.

Rumors that Scorpius is Voldemort's kid - how does such a rumor even fucking get started in the first place? Some drunk in the Leaky Cauldron, bitter over Draco's refusal to give him an autograph, I imagine.

Voldemort and Bells having a daughter - man, leave me alone.

Let's go save Cedric because there's SO MUCH BLOOD on my father's hands, said Albus. Jesus, what? Oh dang, we messed up and Cedric is a Death Eater now. You're very much welcome Mr. Diggory!

I don't even have it in me to care enough to be disappointed. I'll just be over here, calmly ignoring Cursed Child.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  20. funkytoad

funkytoad Fifth Year