1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Cyberpunk 2077

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by MrINBN, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They owe that person a free copy or something.

2. Arthellion

High Score:
  3. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

4. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

I think it’s mostly just that there’s a bit of over-promising going on. If you look at gamers online, their vision of Cyberpunk is everything they want it to be and more. They see a promised nirvana, from a developer they adore, and they expect perfection in exactly the form they envision it. Cyperpunk is THE game, and it must be all things to all people at once in order for it to live up to the hype.

which is deeply unfair, of course. It’s a game, built by human beings like you and me. There will be bugs and glitches, it will be more shallow in some areas than we want, the story and plot and characters are all going to offend someone somewhere. I think the numerous delays are a reflection of that bold vision slamming face-first into the reality that in order to have a good launch, it needs to be polished as hell. Expectations are too high and need to be level-set.

Also having actually worked in software shops (though not game-dev) I’d be shocked if there was as great a difference between “HEROIC UNDERDOG DEVS” and “EVIL CAPITALIST MANAGERS/PUBLISHERS” as is commonly reported.

5. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

At this point, working for CDPR will qualify as a disaster. Jason Schreier is reporting devs are crunching 100 hours on a weekly basis.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1321140689309175808

In case you haven't noticed, they have not shown any gameplay footage on a console. Given how before this new delay,they were only 3 weeks from release and had yet to show how it actually performed on any console seems to indicate ran like absolute dogshit and not something they could showcase.

6. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I missed that there is no gameplay from a console.

Assuming it's this problem what are the chance they will fix it when the other delays weren't enough? I wouldn't be surprised if they moved it to 2021 because if there is one thing that will anger people more than waiting, it's getting problematic game after few missed dates.

7. Arthellion

High Score:
    Yeah I think it’s most likely it was screwed on either current gen or next gen.

8. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I doubt it was completely screwed. All of the consoles, current gen and next gen, run on functionally equivalent hardware to any gaming PC. They'd have to put some real effort into fucking it up that badly only on consoles.

Given the wording of the press release, and the fact that the delay is only 3 weeks, I'm betting that there's some weird edge case where, on the PS5 or Series X, things go wonky (my completely wild guess is that the gpu interface gets into a bad state and either tanks performance or causes very obvious visual bugs) and it happens reliably enough that they can't release with it.

CDPR's track record is generally one of quality, so I'm not overly concerned about it, certainly not as much as some are. But this whole thing is almost certainly an object lesson to CDPR about the dangers of hubris.

9. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

10. Arthellion

High Score:
    Yeah im assuming next year at this point.

11. Arthellion

High Score:
  12. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

http://biznes.pap.pl/en/news/all/in...d-projekt-video-games-on-cyberpunk-2077-delay

Guess it might be they failed to fix the provisional cert issues on current gen after all.

13. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

That actually makes a fair bit of sense. We'll see how it plays out.

14. Arshunk

Arshunk First Year

They said only natural disaster will cause another delay.
    They’ve put out numerous ads(NBA final for example)
    Did you guys see the bus? Even it had Nov19 painted on it.
    And... they still delayed the game.

There’s no guarantee they won’t do it again.
    Dec 10th is just a place holder. Spring 2021 is my guess.

CDPR management is terrible. They have to prepare themselves for some juicy Gaming Articles after they ship the game. I can already see the headlines. Journalists won’t miss the chance.

Poor devs. I expect 50% of them will leave the company after a year or 2. Exactly what happened with TW3 but this time worse.

15. Arshunk

Arshunk First Year

This is what a former dev had to say about the situation at CDPR:

W2 - reasonable crunch, pay cut to 80%, insecurity due to company financial trouble. Sink or swim attitude regarding company future, panic, last minute game changes (throwing off whole parts of game and reimplementing them). Later unreasonable demands on team (Xbox360 port in few months that took almost a year in the end). People getting fired because they asked for a raise. People getting fired because they wanted to work 4 days out of 5 (to compensate for the cut pay).
    W3 - ultra crunch, all dates are final until we suddenly move them, everything done last minute. No attention to consoles, all demos were always shown from powerful PC, until it was to late and game had to be cut a lot to fit into the console memory and performance budgets. Much more office politics, hidden and opaque bonus system "Honor Points" that was used to reward people for superhuman achievements. Good bonus at the end (for me).

W3 expansions (BoW) - way calmer and nicer. Engine was ready, tools and pipelines were finally working. I liked this period the most.

Early CP (early 2017) - chaos, pure chaos. Tragic level of office politics - everybody backstabing everybody to secure best place for the "game of the milenium". Constant office renovations, moves. Lots of money being spent but not on employees. I was crunching a lot even back then but I started to feel like the company is changing to much for my taste. Lots of people I liked to work with left as well.

I think if gamers really cared how games are made, CDP would not be revered so much as it is. It really creates some kind of dissonance for me when I hear people talking about CDP as if it's such a ideal company. It isn't. It's a bad place to work, toxic, it only matters what Adam will say and to please him is the highest goal. There are a lot of acolytes around him as well, circles, etc. There's a lot of cult mentality as well - "be happy that you work here". Many people sold their souls there for money (stocks) and then perpetuate this wrongdoing to their teammates for their own benefit.

16. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

Well yeah, the industry is notorious for it. I’m given to understand development in general is, but game dev in particular has a constant influx of idealists who want to work in their dream industry. We know crunch is fucking dumb, especially long term for both the workers and the product.

But at the end of the day the average consumer just doesn’t really give a shit how the sausage is made.

17. Arthellion

High Score:
    I’m hesitant to judge the climate of CDPR on the basis of testimonials. Bc it’s just as easy to grab another testimonial from a person who loves working there.
    CDPR seems to generally care about their consumers.
    So, meh?

other places have periods of insane crunch as well.

18. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

Yes, and that’s unequivocally bad.

Your post is actually kind of an example of the phenomenon - CDPR doesn’t “care” about their consumers, thats some simp shit :V

They’re pursuing a market strategy built around the perceived high quality of their product. That feeling nice compared to the more common strategy of what feels like sacrificing that for greater short-term sales boosts is why they have a little cult of personality thing going on. It’s all parasocial nonsense of course, them being “the good ones” doesn’t mean shit when it comes down to being a shitty workplace, that’s basically a given in the industry. But gamers don’t care, so there’s no pressure there to fix anything.

19. Arthellion

High Score:
    @VanRopen i agree with you. I just think it’s disingenuous to call out CDPR for their practices as if they are the only ones doing.

as you said, it’s the whole industry that needs to be fixed.

20. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

They don't. I have no idea how this whole thing started, but people seem to forget that CDPR was very much willing to go after people in court for pirating their games very early on. Granted, pirates are not consumers, but this goes to show CDPR is not really all that friendly.

And CDPR doesn't care. You seem to be confusing social media, which is all about appearance and optics, how they get perceived. Just because the people running their Twitter or Facebook account can make you feel amused for one second doesn't mean they're somehow your friend or that they're somehow looking out for your best interest. They're a company, their goal is to make money.

Why the fuck would anyone defend a company that they have no stake in personally is beyond me.