1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Cyberpunk 2077

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by MrINBN, Feb 2, 2013.

1. MrBucket

MrBucket Fifth Year

One thing I hope is that they drove slow purely to let us see the sights and not because we have to drive slow. I want to be able to drive fast and dangerously.

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah you could hear the engine revs, doesn't sound like you're locked in to following traffic rules.

I wanna know what happens when you go full GTA on the streets.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    My complaints regarding the FPS style is that it almost completely invalidates the deep customization that the game supposedly boasts, in regards to appearance. What's the point of such customization if it only affects gameplay but doesn't let me admire my pimped out character? Taking away appearance from a customizable RPG feels like a mistake.

I suppose we'll see how it pans out, but I'm quite put out by this.

4. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I dunno, I like the immersion it adds. I fully expect to be able to stop and admire my reflection in a reflective surface if I so choose.

Sey
  5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

It has fully animated cut scenes.

You will see your character a lot.

6. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    If Cyberpunk is half the game it's made out to be, cutscenes will be a tiny percentage of the full gameplay hours. This again is based off of Witcher as my only example of CDPR's game design. It might well not be true, but it damn well better be.

7. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

CDPR has confirmed (not sure if it was via Twitter or the official forums) that the game will have a photo mode, so cutscenes won't be the only way you'll be able to see your own character.

Oh and apparently there was another Twitch stream today, in which CDPR said the game is playable from start to finish, they just have a lot of polishing (hah) to do. This makes a 2019 release look very possible.

8. TheLazyReader

TheLazyReader Groundskeeper

I trust we can make Ciri in this game?

9. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

They seem to have a fairly broad character customization set. On a semi-related note to your Ciri point, I wonder how viable, or even possible, it would be to play with effectively zero body-mods. If some quests force them on you, as the gameplay video did, at a forced 'Humanity' cost, that may not be truly possible outside of simply playing a sandbox avoid-the-story version of the game.

10. TheLazyReader

I can see runs with 'least amount of mods possible,' but not totally free. I don't think this game is like Skyrim, where you can just go live your life and not touch the main quest. That 'humanity cost' mechanic in interesting though, I'm curious to see how far we can go with it - if we can completely transition to a machine.

11. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I'd be very surprised if that wasn't a thing, given that the Cyberpunk 2020 source material 2077 is based on has exactly that as a prominent mechanic.

12. TheLazyReader

Haven't played or read the handbooks. That gives me hope though. It does set an interesting theme for an overarching plot: the destruction of the human race brought forth by its 'ascension'.

13. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

You can't. A thing called cyberpsychosis makes it impossible.

In CP2020, Empathy governed how much cyberware you could put into your body or how much of said body you could replace with chrome. Humanity is Empathy's score x10. So let's say you have 8 in Empathy, that means you have a total of 80 in Humanity. In the demo we saw getting just one of the Mk1 optical cybernetics cost you 2 in Humanity, Mk2 costing 4 and the Subdermal Grip costing 3.

Basically, the whole thing was put into place as a balancing factor, to limit people from jamming themselves full of cyberware.

The original teaser trailer for Cyberpunk 2077 showcased a cyberpsycho, the girl in the street with her mantis blades cyberware drenched in blood and bodies of random passerbys all around her. The man standing behind her was a MAX TAC Agent, someone specializing in dealing with cyberpsychos.

14. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Honestly, I expect cyberpsychosis and all that to be a major plot point and something the player will almost certainly have the chance to start dancing along that line. It fits far too well with CDPR's 'style', for lack of a better word, to not be present.

15. TheLazyReader

@Odran, that's very interesting and leaves us with a lot of possibilities for gameplay. I hope they fully explore that in the game.

16. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

On cyberpsychosis, from what I understand, CDPR has released statements a year or so ago that they weren't entirely certain how they would handle it from the player's perspective. In other words, while it will definitely be a factor, it might simply be a hard limit on how many body modifications you can have, rather than a gradually declining sanity. Certainly, that would make it a great deal easier to write around then having to deal with a character who at any moment could be anywhere from warm-and-cuddly, to a half-step above insane.

Thanks to Odran for breaking down "Humanity," since I hadn't been able to find a clear cut answer on what that was specifically supposed to reference. Also, if you look at the stat selection screen at the start of the gameplay demo, we can see the stats, and Empathy doesn't seem to be one of them. This raises a few interesting questions about whether or not it will even be in the game, of course, but if it is, I wonder how it might be affected? Taking the most kind/"selfless" routes vs. the more selfish routes, perhaps? Could be interesting.

17. TheLazyReader

Deciding the route based on your stats instead of point-and-click choices could an interesting mechanic, though I'm not sure the players would like it very much. I'm willing to give it a try.

18. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Here's a bit more on Empathy from the Cyberpunk 2020 rulebook:

I have no idea if these character personality changes will actually be incorporated into the game.

19. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Gameplay is awesome. Really want the game now. Feels a lot like Mass Effect kinda, more than just having the same bar name of Afterlife.

20. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score: