1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Daredevil

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Finished. What a show...

The only negative I can think of is that I'm not a huge fan of the fight scenes. Everyone is too damage-spongey for my liking.

Everything else was glorious, including how the show continuously ramped up until the finale imo.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Watched the first two episodes last night.

Cinematography and fight choreography are great. Everything else, on the other hand...

First off, let's talk about the opening. It was really terrible, We get the main character unloading his emotional baggage in a 5 minute monologue to open the show. No action to get us interested, and we're certainly not invested enough in the character yet to care about his backstory and childhood trauma. It's slow and boring. At one point I thought it was going to be subverted and it would turn out that the priest was a bad guy and Murdoch was telling the priest some bullshit story before beating the shit out of him... but no. It was just a straight up info-dump. Super inelegant exposition.

That clumsy exposition in the dialogue continues throughout the following episodes. Dialogue is just stilted and wooden, especially between Karen and annoying lawyer friend.

Speaking of annoying lawyer friend, I'm really not that invested in any of the characters. They just all seem a bit boring. None of them are particularly witty, charismatic, or have unique voices. And Murdoch's backstory is not particularly inspiring. It's like "oh no, a kid had an averagely shitty childhood". He lost his sight, sure, but he has super smell and hearing, so kinda not as bad as it would be for any other person.

Finally, believability is a real problem. Murdoch simply does not have sufficient superpowers to get away with what he's doing. He should have died multiple times over in the first two episodes alone. As far as I'm aware, his only supernatural powers are hearing and smell. He doesn't have any super strength. He shouldn't be able to beat up large numbers of bigger people simultaneously in hand to hand combat. He's also kinda stupid in the way he goes about it. There's really no explanation here as to why he doesn't carry a gun and just shoot people. Like that opening scene at the docks. He had the drop on the three guys, and was watching them for an extended period of time before he revealed himself and got into an extended fight. If he'd just shot them from his hiding place, it would have been much more sensible.

So yeah. Overwhelming response to first two episodes was "meh".

3. gorgonfish

gorgonfish Second Year

The version of Daredevil that shoots people is called Punisher. One of the continuing themes of the series is how he enjoys beating the shit out of people.

4. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Is it actually the same person?

5. gorgonfish

gorgonfish Second Year

No, a separate character who operates in Hell's Kitchen like Daredevil, but he kills everyone with guns. With the buzz coming off this series, I wouldn't be surprised if Punisher ends up becoming part of the netflix corner of the universe.

6. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Finished it. No spoilers for now.

It had few things that could be improved, but overall it was a very good series. Great even. And they did it without using all the best material and some of the most iconic characters from Daredevil's comics. The second series, whenever it happens, could and even should be better.

If I had a one complain it would be a costume and surprisingly I'm not talking about the black one. It actually was quite fitting with the style of the rest. The red one though, while rather good in itself, was looking out of place once it showed up on a screen. Though maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Anyway, after this series I certainly expect a lot more from the next three than I was before. Especially from Iron Fist because Marvel is correct in their politic of mixing superheroes with other genres and a kung fu series done like that sounds like it could be a lot fun.

7. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I think the stilted way of the dialogue wasn't that bad, or that apparent. Maybe I didn't watch enough noir movies/shows/etc but almost all of them that I came across had the same dialogue pattern.

Only watched the first episode yet but this is a cool series, I feel like this is gonna get done right.

My only hope is that they make a spider-man one as well.I know it's impossible, but I wanna see a decent Civil War movie. And without spider-man that's gonna be hard to achieve. :(

8. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think Marvel got Spider-Man back actually. Or at least partially.

9. Gengar

High Score:
    They do.

Starting to get very worried that they'll be using Miles instead of Peter though, who I don't give a shit about.

I'd rather Gwen-Soidey if they're over Parker. At least her outfit is fucking awesome.

10. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

If they actually decide to go with Miles, I'm done :/ Even stopped reading the comics after the Superior Spider-man crap.

11. Strider

Strider First Year

Binge'd it the day it came out. Great series, my favorite comic book TV(?) adaptation so far. Not perfect, but what show is? I appreciate it for what it's done, and what seems to be the perfect set-up for the upcoming Defenders shows and eventual team-up.

The visuals are top-notch, and so are the fight sequences (again, not perfect, but I liked them a lot). Foggy was so annoying at first, but he grew on me (took me 8 episodes though). So much more to say, but I'm not good at articulating my feelings. Oh, and Charlie Cox IS Daredevil.

12. Gengar

High Score:
    I think I said it before, but he pulls off those shades like no other.

Did anyone else catch the og Kingpin crack by Vanessa? 'He looked ridiculous, big dude in a white suit with an ascot' (paraphrasing). Made me giggle.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Finished. Final episode was not as impressive as I'd hoped it would be. They built all this suspense and then it just sort of fizzled away with the predictable ending.

Still, it was a great show and I binged the shit out of it. Here's hoping for a second season... and also that they'll maybe find a few writers who can come up with some dialogue that doesn't contain the words "this city" in every other line.

14. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

Watched first episode. Meh.

Does this series ever delve into Matt's Radar sense? What about training beyond boxing? Any elektra hints? Bulls eye show up?

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes. Yes. Not yet. Not yet.

16. gorgonfish

gorgonfish Second Year

Elektra was hinted at in th eighth or ninth episode. The line about Matt taking Spanish in college because of a greek girl he had a thing for. The red design on Madame Gao's heroine packaging is also the partial design of the Iron Fist symbol with the wings missing.

17. Gengar

High Score:
    The only issue I had with the writing was that detestable line: 'We're a lot like, you and I'

The first quote you always find in the super villain's handbook...

18. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

99% sure that's Steel Serpent's symbol.

I absolutely loved this show. Binged it and had a lot of fun.

Also super bitter Jessica Jones is the next series instead of Iron Fist. Danny is a hell of a lot more likeable than Jess.

At least with all the violence and darkness this show has shown, I can at least hope for Jessica Jones' Purple man to show why he's one of the most horrible, disgusting villains in comics.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  19. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

How they plan to portrait the Purple Man is something I question since it was announced it will be David Tennant who plays him. They probably wanted someone charming and likable for more subtle presentation of his powers, but at the same time it may backfire and make him another supervillain that people love to hate instead of one that should just be hated for what he does to people.

20. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

God I hope he doesn't get Loki treatment. Making a likeable Purple Man honestly seems like you're missing the point of him.

If he isn't his sociopathic, rapist, murderous self who you want to have the most painful death imaginable then what's the point?