1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dark Knight Trailer and Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Novamute, Dec 17, 2007.

1. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

The Joker has always been my favorite Batman villain, and possibly my favorite villain from anywhere. I was slightly afraid that they'd fuck it up, to be honest. But I was very pleased with this. I'm going to have to disagree with Homer, though. To refuse to feature the character anymore, based solely on the death of the actor, would be a mistake. The whole point of a fictional character is that they aren't real. The Joker and the other characters are all larger than life for a reason.

The only reason I was at all displeased with the movie was how quickly Dent died after becoming Two-Face. Same day, even.

Also, Johnny Depp Sucks monkey penis.

2. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I'm not convinced that Dent died. They showed his funeral, but did they show the body? What I think is, that funeral was "killing off" the Harvey Dent identity, leaving us with Two Face, still alive and well.

3. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

I don't know falling 8 stories through a bunch of shit, while just having recovered from your face burning off seems like enough to kill a guy, though people are apparently more durable in Gotham, what with only breaking kneecaps after falling 4 stories then walking a bit later (though granted he had a cane), crashing your car into a pole and walking out okay because you wore your seatbelt, and flipping over a semi truck and coming out unscathed. Something other than fear toxin is in the water those people drink because there fucking invincible.

4. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

I'm not saying they shouldn't recast the Joker solely because of his death. The problem is Ledger did such an amazing job, that no actor is going to be able to top it. Most major actors won't even take the role, due to the negativity that's going to surround the role following Ledger's death. Even if an actor somehow did do a better job than Ledger, it isn't going to be recognized as that, because Ledger is dead, and this role is his legacy.

Eventually they probably should recast the Joker, but don't do it until Nolan's run is finished. Let another director re imagine the Joker, and bring in an actor that will fit his vision of the Joker.

5. Durden's Wrath

Durden's Wrath Second Year

Mark Hamill could do the Joker. Seeing as he's been doing it awesomely already since the early 90's.

6. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

You're kidding, right?

7. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

He's not, actually Mark Hamill does a decent Joker. He's the one who always does his voice in the animated series and he has the mannerisms down pretty well. I don't think his Joker is appropriate for what Nolan is going for, or as good as Ledger's take, but it's not bad.

8. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Future batman movies: If Nolan doesn't direct, I won't go see it.
    Well, I doubt I'd see it.

Anyway:
    If they did make a third movie, who do you think will be the villain?

9. Havoc

Havoc Seventh Year

I'm thinking The Riddler.

10. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

And or catwoman.

11. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I vote for the Ventriloquist/Scarface or Hush.

12. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

I believe I read somewhere that Nolan liked the idea of the Penguin but rather than a Danny Devito-like character, his Penguin would be the head of a large crime organization, and has a taste for luxury, or something like that.

Here's an article that talks about the villains (though no mention of what I said earlier)
    http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2008/07/beyond-the-dark-knight-part-2.html

I wouldn't be surprised if two villains show up in the third installment. It seems to be the trend.
    Batman Begins: Raz Al-Goul, Scarecrow
    The Dark Knight: Joker, Two-Face
    3rd installment: Riddler,Penguin,Catwoman,Black Mask?

These seem to be the most realistic villains in the series. I would put money on Penguin and Black Mask since both of them tend to be more mobsters than super villains, which seems like the direction Nolan is going for. I also wouldn't be surprised if we see mention of Selena Kyle or something about a cat burglar terrorizing Gotham/

13. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

I'd like to see the Riddler and the Black Mask, and a catwoman to erase the salty taste of Halle Berry, but really I want Two Face back... he was awesome.

14. Philly Homer

I don't about you guys, but with the death of Rachel Dawes, I want

Talia Al Ghul

Ra's and the League of Shadows has a large part in the Batman's origin. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have Talia as the leader of the League of Shadows. She comes to Gotham seeking revenge on the Batman, and finish her father's mission.

I wouldn't mind Riddler, especially if Nolan has a darkish Riddler. It could be epic, but with Talia you always have the possibility of Bane.

15. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I went double-feature tonight and watched Hulk and then DK. Both were fantastic, though I did think that DK dragged on at the end there. Ledger was absolutely amazing in this movie; you will never find a more insanely terrifying character ever.

What I can't get out of my head is the last line in Hulk where the guy from Iron Man comes up and says that they should all join up. Here comes the Justice League movie.

16. RedNehi

RedNehi DA Member

If by Justice League you mean Avengers, then yes.

I saw the midnight showing of this, and I have to agree that this is definitely the best superhero movie (or just movie) that I have seen.

I would like to see more of Ra's al Ghul (or his daughter) as he was one of my favorite batman villains.

17. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I thought of Bane as well, but...meh. With Hulk and X-Men's Juggernaut already running about, introducing Bane might seem gimmicky IMO. As far as merc/assassin types, I would've suggested Deadshot, but the Gotham Knight prequel killed that angle - as did Marvel's craptastic Bullseye from Daredevil.

18. Durden's Wrath

Durden's Wrath Second Year

I would have found Gotham Knight unwatchable if Bruce Timm and Kevin Conroy hadn't been involved. Those two factors made me relax enough to enjoy some of the stylistic approaches I wasn't a fan of.

Now that is true. Ledger's take was exactly matching Nolan's universe, while Hamill's is much closer to the comic universe Joker Post-Crisis.

I loved how the Joker never really told the true origins of his scars. That he picked the story most likely to freak the shit out of the listener.

19. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    It broke the Spiderman 3 opening weekend record of 151 million. It got 250 million.

Movie thoughts: Very good performance by Ledger, definitely Oscar worthy and probably one of the greatest of all-time. However, the movie itself isn't the "best ever".

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  20. Philly Homer

I was ecstatic that it did broke it Spiderman 3's record, but it didn't make $250 million. It made $158.3 million which was even larger than the studio estimates of $155.3 million, yesterday. Either way The Dark Knight is much more deserving than Spiderman 3.

I understand where you are coming from, but my comment about this being the "best ever" was more of a personal thing. I happen to like the comic book genre movies, a lot. This basically blew every one of them away by incorporating real world issues, into the movie. It also a crime epic, and I haven't seen one which is better than the Dark Knight. Partially, my opinion might be based on the fact that I'm simply more familiar with the characters. I stand by my opinion of calling it the "best movie ever".