1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dark Souls II

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Fishy Justice, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

I've had the same problem with the Zwei and the Claymore. This is getting frustrating since I mostly use Greatsword or Ultra Greatswords. Also, why the hell is the highest stat required to wield halberd Dex? It's always been Str, so I wonder why they felt they needed to change it.

Edit: Also, what's the point of killing an invader or summoning a Dark Phantom is you don't get anything for your efforts? I just noticed that I've never gotten a single drop or soul from killing Dark Phantoms.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  2. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I got like 100k souls killing grey phantoms in the belltower last night (and lost about half of that to jumping off a bridge :D)

Note that I'm over SL100, though.

3. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I eventually just murdered my way through them and then murdered the hell out of the boss. I'm running an entirely strength based build. Tower shield + mace. I've been ruining things.

I'm in the woods now fighting the
    Scorpion/half lady thing

4. Solomon

Solomon Heir

That's four Great Souls. On to Drangleic Castle I guess.

EDIT: Just beat the game. This game had a lot of really high peaks and really low troughs, and ultimately basically wound up being just okay. Better looking and better written than Dark Souls, but also much worse designed. Despite drawing a lot of inspiration from Demon's Souls - a good thing, for the record - it just doesn't even merit comparison, Demon's Souls was just that much better.

I'll probably play the game again as a different build after buying it in a Steam sale or something, but until then...well. I'm pretty disappointed, to be honest.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  5. Cyrogen

Cyrogen Second Year

I'm not disappointed perse, but i definitely felt underwhelmed. Maps felt like tunnels to the primal bonfires, there was a bit too much backtracking for my taste to experience a lot of the content.

Bosses were really gimmicky in my opinion and the final boss was a pushover.

I gotta say I still have no idea why I went to kill the queen. It made no sense, as to why i was killing certain bosses and what not.

6. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Well, that much isn't really surprising. Dark Souls expects the player to go well out of his/her way to encounter the plot.

7. Cyrogen

Cyrogen Second Year

I tried my damnedest, I still never really got what the drive was. In the original Oscar told us of the prophecy, unless I'm forgetting something there is no real setup. BTW can you leave the final boss room instead of going in the cave?

8. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

I think the thing that suffered the most were the level designs. DeS and DS had some rally memorable areas, whereas most of the levels in DS2 were pretty bland.

9. Cyrogen

Cyrogen Second Year

I'd agree to that for sure. It didn't make as much sense whatsoever especially the way you get into Iron Keep. I just did not get that at all.

Also NPC quest lines are a pain this time around. Terribly done imo.

10. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

The multiplayer is the saving grace IMO. The Blue Sentinel and Brotherhood of Blood Covenants are kinda uncessary atm since nobody seems to feel like invading this time around for some reason, but I'm sure if given some time, there'll be more invasions and those covenants will become a lot more popular.

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Bah, it seems like they'll be keeping the downgrade, in terms of visuals, for the PC version of the game. What a fucking shame.

On a more cheerful note, amusing fanart.

12. Solomon

Solomon Heir

[imgur]wSuq6bO[/imgur]

Okay. This game is alright.

E: Yes, that's a power stance.

13. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Sorry for the double-post, but:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2xPah553Ew

Here's a Giant Bomb Quick Look of the PC version of this game. It looks a fair bit better (largely the textures and the way metal looks), but not to crazy extremes. The important thing is that it runs at a locked 60 fps on what I understand to be not crazy powerful PCs.

14. Cyrogen

Cyrogen Second Year

PC version looks really nice, even better with the one mod DSFixs creator made.

On my own play through, I just beat Darklurker. Holy crap was that a fun fight, beat in the game IMO.

15. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    God damn the Giant Lord. Fuck him with a rake.

16. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Fight him the exact same way you fought the Last Giant.

17. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

I enjoyed this critique.

I don't hate the game by any means, and I do plan on pvping for a little bit. But I feel that video touches on a lot of things the game falls short on. It might seem nitpicky at the start, but it gets into more fundamental issues later.

I'm too lazy for a TL;DR, sorry.

18. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Wow for someone who says he likes the games, that guy really fucking hates this game.

I recently bought the pc edition and I'm having a blast. Currently up to the Earthen Peak and I just unlocked the Forked Road. Still not sure what im doing with the build but its all good fun exploring and finding out whats what.

19. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Almost everything he said about the game is actually true, though, is the thing. I like Dark Souls 2 a lot, but even on PC (where my issues with framerates aren't a concern anymore) I'd still call it the weakest of the three by a pretty fair margin.

The game has some serious design flaws (in my opinion, at least.)

20. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    40 hours in on the pc version, just cleared the last area.

I'm kinda loving it. It's not as hard as the previous games and the bosses are a bit forgettable, but I'm still having a blast. How should I say it... it's less extremely unforgiving, so I had a much smoother and easier playthrough, but at the same time, the feeling is beating that insane boss wasn't there, since I never had any real trouble.

It's got level design beat on both games, though. I like most of the new stuff. I can easily see myself playing this over and over again, and I certainly think it's a worthy successor of the Soul series.