1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dark Souls on PC(?)

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Arbiter, Jan 6, 2012.

1. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Okay, good points. I did say that mods for your own game that dont effect mine are your own business. But New Game + in Souls is where I get replay value. After you finish the game, you can start again with the same character , weapons and stats and everything. Only the enemies are much harder.

About the multiplayer, I'm not sure what you mean. Files don't match? I'm not sure why that effects anything. As long as you had the game and didn't fuck with the multiplayer files you would still be able to connect (providing no DRM, which would probably screw mods altogether).

So now to Anarchy. You make good points also. I agree that certain weapons are bonkers (I shamefully admit I got the Drake Sword first time though). But mods aren't just weapons. I have no doubt that mods will allow tons of gameplay changes that From never anticipated. New weapons are easy to look at because they have the most obvious effect. If you introduce a new weapon with a new moveset it has the distinct possibility to break sections of the game (eg stunlock capability or extended reach or fast recovery time or any number of other things) and multiplayer.

And whats the point of making a mod that doesn't have any gameplay changes? It'd just be a visual improvement or a UI mod, both things which if you recall I said were fine in the first place

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wrong. Online games rely on having the exact same files on each client so that they're both able to simulate the weapons and the likes available for use. If you install a mod that adds a weapon and then try to play co-op, where is your partner's game going to get the files that render your new weapon's graphics and stats? Answer: it doesn't, and the game would crash if you tried it. So the devs either ban mods from online play entirely or force you both to have the same mods installed, so that you're both on an equal footing.

3. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

I guess that does make sense. But thats sort of what I meant when I said DRM would probably scrap mods entirely. I guess multiplayer is such a fundamental part of my Dark Souls experience I didn't even consider playing it offline the whole way through. Seems like such a waste.

4. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

I just hope they put in some sort of a system in which you can invite friends or stuff. That way, if you both have the same mod installed, you can play together. Just imagine, New Bosses! New levels! Stuff! More stuff!
    Sounds fun, right?

Here's some of the stuff that was announced over at
    www.preparetodie.com

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  5. OneSimpleIdea

OneSimpleIdea Second Year

You guys were talking about DRM - not sure if you knew about this but there's a link over at gamespot saying that it will use the Games for Windows Live which seems to be some sort of DRM. Not sure what impact it'll have on modding exactly, but it's definitely something to look into.

Article can be found here

6. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

Games for Windows Live is Microsoft's shoddy, half-finished port of Xbox Live to the PC.

7. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

Bad news.

8. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Hahahahah. Of course it's Namco's decision, Namco is fucking terrible.

9. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Groundskeeper

Bad news for console owners too : here.

@Arbiter :Namco is publishing this game just to oblige the petition, as such they are not going to work too hard on PC. Also the news is that PC content is not headed for Console, this again implies my point.

10. The Great Pandemonium

The Great Pandemonium Fourth Year

11. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

Selling it through Steam was basically never the issue. What fans wanted was for the game to use Steamworks instead of Games for Windows Live.

That still isn't happening.

12. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

Selling it through Steam was basically never the issue. What fans wanted was for the game to use Steamworks instead of Games for Windows Live.

That still isn't happening.