1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Darksider 2 & Dark Soul

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by BloodRedSword, Aug 19, 2012.

1. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I just brought Darksider 2 from Steam and took it for a run. Gameplay wise was a disappointment. Anyone with half a brain can clearly see that the game was ported over to PC half-assed. Controls are bad, you can't change them, some controls don't even work. Reaper form default is V and that never activate no matter how hard I hit the button.

But the storyline is good. THQ and Vigil clearly crafted a great world and they improved from Darksider. Now I'm wondering about the other 2 brothers, Strife and Fury. Will they be getting a game too?

Dark Soul: Anyone got it? I want to know what the DLP say about it. Reviews online seems good...

2. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Darksiders. Dark Souls. What the hell.

Anyways, I haven't finished my Darksiders 2 run, but I'm really enjoying it. I have it on the PS3, which seems like a pretty good version. From what I've heard, though, the PC version actually is the best of the lot. Strange to hear otherwise. Are you sure you can't change the controls? Maybe there's some controls file you can modify in the game's install folder.

Dark Souls PS3 was really great, difficult without being needlessly unfair for the most part. There are definitely some areas (looking at you, Tomb of the Giants) that are just bullshit, but by and large if you're careful and pay attention you can get by alright. I don't know about the new DLC/PC additions to the game, and I can't comment on how it was ported.

3. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Dark Souls kicks ass. Fantastic game, from what I've played of it, and the friend who's house I played at loves it, though he complains that the multilayer has turned to shit, mostly because everyone is using only the most powerful weapons and armor, then glitching the fights and generally being assholes. I wouldn't know, I've never used the multiplayer.

That said, I'm waiting until it comes out for PC to get my copy.

Edit: worth mentioning that that's on the 360.

4. Deplore

Deplore Seventh Year

I play Darksiders on the PC. Yes, it's true that it's a half-assed port, but it works. The story is good enough for me to ignore the obvious (and clunky) PC issues. I had to force vsync through drivers because I was getting fps in the four digits (ATI 6950), and some keys don't work (like reaper form not activating).

There's a workaround, for the most part. When you want reaper form, hit tab and then move the cursor to the reaper form and hit space.

In fact, that's essentially what I do to activate skills or switch from the hookdraw to the gun.

However, the camera control is god awful.

5. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Yeah, getting your ass kicked because stupid camera control is damn crap makes it hard for me not to punch someone. I managed to get the Reaper form working (Finally...) I managed to finish Tree of Life with most of the side quest completed. Only 2 side Quest left, The silly Stone and the 2 bosses I have to kill the next stage.

Hmm, seems like Dark Souls are as good as Darksiders 2/Skyrim. Maybe I will give it a spin next month...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  6. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well Im playing through Darksiders 2 myself right now and so far my one and only major gripe is that I keep having this bug where either randomly or directly after I reload I start attacking with every single weapon I have at the same time and I cant make it stop at all bar just shutting the whole game off and waiting.

7. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Dark Souls came out on PC a couple days ago, I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but from what I've seen online it's a pretty shitty port. From screenshots alone it's just not worth it unless your willing to mod, since the resolution is capped at the 360's graphics level.

And since the mod to fix this was apparently made in 23 minutes, that should show just how much effort was put into this. I haven't heard anything about the controls or DRM yet, but I'm not betting on good news in either case.

Anyone play this?

Clarification: It looks fucking horrible without the mod. It's a blurry muddy badly rendered mess.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  8. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

GFWL is required and handles multiplayer but contrary to what I've seen claimed, is not always online. Retail doesn't require steam, but the CD key can be added to your steam account, which is pretty cool.

I haven't bothered with kb/m since even the devs say to just use a controller (there's even a note in the manual.) but they seem broken by all accounts. Just use a gamepad.

No improvements to graphics other than whatever people manage to mod, but it apparently runs smoother than consoles. Though some people claimed otherwise, I haven't had any problems.

It's a port in the simplest sense, it's just a way to play a console game without forking out for a console.

Some people will say that isn't enough and that it needs to be better to be worthy of the Glorious PC Gaming master race, some people are just happy to be able to play it without forking out for a console.