1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Death, In Glory by Apocolypso-33 - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Garret P.I., Jan 12, 2008.

1. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

I know he put incubus on hiatus... but I think Chimera is still in the works.

He said he's just lost interest in the smut... not writing.

His last update on this fic was in October on Readcon wasn't it? So given the holidays a big gap in updates doesn't mean abandoned.

2. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Being one of the people who disliked 300 due to it's severe lack of gore. (Or promises of much gore) I was skeptical when I first saw this story while browsing through FF.net

Truthfully though, I don't see why people hold such grudges against crossovers, obviously some people are shit when it comes to writing them. Just look through all the crossovers on FFN that have poor writing styles, or the Fanfiction community in general.

But then again, the extremist ideas seem to work at times, when mixed with good writing.

I'm not saying that this story will be epic; merely that thus far, it holds good/great writing, and holds much potential for said epicness.

Because truthfully, when I think of the time frame in this fiction, I always imagine the heroes marching off, in acceptance of their deaths to do battle against impossible forces.

It's more of the impossibility of such situations and the readiness for them to accept their mortality, especially in comparison to the world we live in today. Sure many speaks of such actions as being feasible, but it is few who do so when the occasion presents itself, and even fewer who do so for the right reasons. The other's are merely stupid, borderline retarded, who become known as 'an hero'.

...I'm in a ranty mood today and this is bad. In short, the story is good. Yarrgh has a good writing style IMO. It has the opportunity to become something of epic proportions, with many memorable one liners. Or something that will be forgotten and laughed at later on. Truthfully I'm hoping for the former since we need more good fanfiction.

4/5 Because I'm biased. Yep.

3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yeah. Rate the story based on the story itself, not the author and whatever issues you may have with him.

4. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

This story is beautifully written, very detailed, great characterizations and an interesting magic system. All pluses in my book.

That said the fic can turn to shit real quick when (if) Harry comes back to his own time. It will take quite alot of talent to pull of the transition between ancient Sparta and the modern day. I hope the author is up for it.

4.5/5 for now.

5. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

He posted chapter 3 today. But also noted that it will be at least 4 months before he will have time to write any more (not really surprising if you know him).
    Anyway, i guess the real challenge will be the Return to the future, which will not happen before chapter 5 at the earliest (6 is my best guess currently. Chapter 4 will be the climax of the 300 storyline, and i guess there will be a transition chapter).
    So i hesitate to rate this story now, since the point where he will make it or break it hasn't yet been reached, but for a pure 300 fanfic i'd give it a 5/5 now, simply because his writing has something which many authors lack nowadays, and that is style ;-)

6. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I did rate on what I thought of the fic. I particularly enjoyed the writing style and liked the original premise of the story.

The line at the end was merely added because I re-read my post and saw what it looked like.

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

That wasn't aimed at you, specifically. It was aimed at everyone.

8. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

Not actually read this yet but I just seen that it was updated on FF.N, just thought I'd let you know.

9. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Latest chapter looks good also... and the epic feel is still going strong.

I liked how he dealt with the issue of the Arkadians and how the Spartans still showed their allies respect.

This sort of sets a precedent for why Harry would be able to tolerate people in the modern world and show them respect... because while the Arkadians were vastly inferior to the Spartan forces as far as ability... they were still allies... and allies are shown respect and honor by the Spartans.

The addition of more historical backdrop detail was nice too... and the way the author didn't overuse magic was a nice touch as well... it was just one of many other tools... and didn't drown out the other skills he has.

The best part is that Harry wasn't protrayed as some sort of juiced up "bad ass" who used his magic and skills to lay waste to all around him... but instead came off as a disciplined and credible warrior who uses his skills well... and simply wants to make his father proud, and to do his duty.

All in all I liked the latest chapter... though the test is going to be when he hit the modern era.
    That'll be the make it or break it time for this fic.

One interestingly little twist I didn't think of till now is the issue of how he's going to deal with the purebloods of HP's time.

Seems to me that his adoption into the line of Spartan Royalty almost 2000 years before Salazar Slytherin even was born sorta makes anyone elses claim to being "special" because of who was in their families, pretty pathetic.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  10. Boo

Boo Auror

Great story.
    I would love to see this story continued. I enjoy the ancient history with a mix of Harry Potter magic. It doesnt hurt that the author is one of the best.

The only thing that seems to be wrong with the history/culture of Sparta is that they didnt use gold as currency. Spartan currency consisted of bars of iron, thus making thievery and foreign commerce very difficult and discouraging the accumulation of riches

11. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

I, like others, was a little skeptical at first about a 300/HP crossover...but this has loads of potential. Bringing Harry back to his time, and teaching him to live in the newer culture will be the challenge that decides (for me) whether it will be great or not.

The old system of magic is a great way to start him, and he's shown a considerable skill in destruction in the battle of Ch. 3. I wonder how a wand and the new systems of magic will work for him?

I hate that it will be so long a wait for another update, but for now I'm very interested in seeing where this goes.

12. Calis Clayr

Calis Clayr Seventh Year

One of the smallest countries in the world
    He's really done his homework as for as historical background is concerned. It's nice to see an author that makes sure everything is accurate and credible in a story.
    I'm looking forward to the Battle of Thermopylae, I wonder what will change now that the Spartans have some magic users. Of course, the Persians could have some too... which would be bad...
    Anyway, only four months to go till the next update ;)

13. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

This update certainly didn't change my earlier opinion of this fic. Great work all around, and I can't wait for more!

14. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Well, since the next update is a ways off, I'd like to suggest that this thread stick in the reviews section until Harry has at least one full chapter back in the modern world... interacting with people.

15. Boo

Boo Auror

I'm thinking thats how Harry gets 'Back to the Future'. Gets hit with another killing curse. Or something like that

16. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Well, mind you, a lot of the stuff we think we "know" about those cultures is good deal of guesswork... even with the records that those cultures kept.
    At the same time, a lot of what we think of as "myth" or "fantasy" from them may also have a basis in fact. Case in point, up until the ruins of Troy were discovered... many scholars thought that the illiad was just a made up story and that Troy didn't really exist at all. It took Heinrich Schliemann to actually FIND it to prove to skeptics that it existed.
    However the author of this piece is presenting what looks to be a credible model for the Spartan culture at least from an entertainment based point of view.

Well, in the movie (yeah yeah... I know... it was a movie) the Persians had what they claimed to be sorcerers... who were throwing grenades.
    here's a pic
    [​IMG]
    Could be potion bottles I suppose.

17. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

I didn't know the Longbottoms had Persian blood.
    ;)

18. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Yep... and those were little mini cauldrons they were throwing.
    Neville:This is madness!
    Snape:Madness?!... Madness...This Is POTIONS CLASS!

19. Hobbes

Hobbes First Year

This is NOT a crossover with 300. It's a crossover with the book the Gates of Fire. (Which is a fantastic book) The only reason the author said it was a crossover with 300 is becuase 300 is more popular then the Gates of Fire. I support my statment becuase all the supporting characters like Polynikes come from Gates of Fire (except the magician). 300 both tell the tale of the battle of Thermopylae.

GATES of FIRE

20. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

is Gates of Fire the graphic novel 300 is based on? Or is it something else entirely?

edit: Google is my friend... Found it at amazon, its a novel not a graphic novel, sounds interesting though think i'll read it :D

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008