1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Decent Crossover

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by T3t, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Or! Being a person of cosmic powers himself he could see "Angel" Tricia and "Angel" Baltar. Just imagine him asking, "Why is there a naked woman in the cage with Baltar?"

He could really fuck up their machinations. As far as the issue with Battlestar being 20K years before Earth...Hey, what does something like Time mean to Death?

2. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

Someone must write it! :awesome

3. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

So... what's the strangest, or at least most obscure, HP crossover you've ever wanted to see.

Or, in some of our cases, played at writing?

4. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

For me the perfect SF crossover universe would be Perry Rhodan. A space opera about human expansion into the universe since the first moon visit. It's an ongoing weekly pulp series for 50 years with so many awesome characters, plots and locations Harry could fit right into because of some metaphysical elements.

Think about order/chaos/other fractions on a multi universal level, seeding life and intelligence, super intelligences, entities with billions of minds, controlling their own galaxy groups through the universes. Following Arthur C. Clark's philosophy where any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Too bad it's german and the few foreign translations aren't worth looking into so my expectations that a crossover will ever happen are zero.

Perry Rhodan's cycles' summaries if you can live with translation services.

The series really gets good with 5. Die Meister der Insel (Master of the Island episode 200-299) and onwards where humanity finds artificial groups of suns in the core of the galaxy forming a transmitter network between the Milky Way and Andromeda.
    The stations in between act as ward/trap systems. On the way to find the mysterious rulers of Andromeda they'll discover the past history of their own race and some great war 50k years ago which lead to the almost destruction of their forefathers. This small summary doesn't do it justice but it's truly epic. At the moment it's at episode 1602 and went through its up and downs.

Obscure enough?

5. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I already said it somewhere on this forum - crossover between Asterix and HP. Though, now that I ponder this question more I'd also like to see cross with Witcher. Darn, why didn't I think about it earlier? It's an epic material for this month contest.

6. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    HP/NotW, because despite being released in 2007 and garnering a relatively large audience, there are literally 24 fics in the FFN section for it.

And not HP getting dropped into their world, that would suck. He would own anybody in a direct confrontation but get completely buttraped otherwise.

Kvothe (or, hell, even somebody else) getting stuck in the HP universe sounds better, but not to replace Potter. Even better would be if they were incapable of using "wizarding" magic, only Sympathy and whatever Names they may know.

Of course, an amalgamation of the two universes would be great, but even more difficult to pull off than the same for an HP/DF crossover.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was thinking earlier that a mutant in the X-Men universe whose power was Kingkiller sympathy would be pretty awesome (especially if set before modern times).

8. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I got the impression that Sympathy was something inherently possible for anybody who had the mental fortitude - everything else came from how the universe operated. Still, it's not a bad idea. There's a helluva lot you can do with it..

9. ficfan

ficfan First Year

HP/Doraemon

...a story about a robot with fourth-dimensional pocket filled with gadgets and tools from the future and a boy with magical ability going in an adventure together would be awesome.

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Great, I clicked the link, read the first paragraph, and now I can't stop picturing the kid as Nobby Nobbs.

11. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I started a pretty obscurish crossover (or at least one not done much) with the Amber series by Roger Zelazney. I've also always wanted to do an HP/Foundation cross, which I think could be fascinating - Harry ending up as a part of the second foundation, perhaps.

And recently I've toyed around with an HP/Castle in the Sky mix by Miyazaki. Or even Howl's Moving Castle, perhaps.

12. Damnyoureyes

Damnyoureyes First Year

Well if you want to get your Battlestar/Potter fix, there's a crackfic I wrote some time ago:

Prevarications and Pragmatism: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4848597/1/Prevarications_and_Pragmatism

Bill Adama and Saul Tigh are instructors and administrators of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Albus Dumbledore and Minerva McGonagall are the Commander and XO of a Colonial Battlestar called Galactica. Pure, undiluted randomness.

Harry Potter seems to cross over well with pretty much anything as long as one side or the other isn't nerfed or wanked to a ridiculous extreme, and the character interactions are good.

Speaking as someone who basically only writes crossovers, the interesting part for me is throwing people from two (and only two) worlds together and seeing what the different characters make of completely different and implausible situations, like Mal Reynolds meeting the crew of the Galactica or Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged (immortal and hating it) meeting a power-hungry and whiny Anakin Skywalker.

My issue with crossovers is that most of them are wish-fulfillment written by idiots, and the scope is often too large, especially when they cross over more than two fandoms. Threads get lost, and it's too tough to get ahold of the big picture. I made that mistake with my first story, and have tried to limit the viewpoint characters since then.

Since some of you guys seem to be wanting Potter/Star Wars cross, how receptive would you be to a story in which a 15-16ish Harry gets transported to the Star Wars Universe, and meets Wraith Squadron, (think the Star Wars version of the Dirty Dozen, meeting the Dresden Files sense of humor/irony) this would be set after ROTJ, and not in the Clone Wars era everyone seems so fond of now.

What do you guys think, should I give it a shot?

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  14. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Yeah, I went over that. Just... Ugh.

15. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

Ah - how I crave a well-written BSG / Firefly crossover.

As for HP... I'd love to read a 'HP on the Main Quest of TESIV:Oblivion' story. Taking the AK-to-the-face in DH, waking up in the dungeon of the Imperial City rather than at King's Cross, just as ol' Uriel and the Blades are making their escape. Would be impossibly hard to write, but so much fucking fun.

16. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

I've checked on FF.net, and no one's done the cross-over that my June contest entry covers. I look forward to seeing people's reactions to it.

17. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Ciri at Hogwarts? With Ihuarraquax at her side? Or Harry being a mutated monster hunter/hitman for hire?

18. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Ciri at Hogwarts? No, I don't think so. For some reason I dislike crossovers where you transport someone to Hogwarts. I prefer the ones with Harry going somewhere.

How about it - Ciri meets Harry in her long travel between worlds (not sure which book it is - 4th or 5th?). Then for some reason (or just by the accident) he goes back with her to her world and proceeds to kick ass of the Lodge of Sorceresses.

All this talk about Witcher reminds me that I've still not played the second game.

19. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

A Guild Wars/Harry Potter fusion.

I had planned on doing this a year or so back, but I lost interest in doing it, since I would have to play through Guild Wars at the same time as writing/planning it.

Essentially, Harry was made an orphan by the Searing, as a Necromancer loyal to either Dhuum or Abaddon (Voldemort) uses it as a chance to kill the Potters; he grows up in the ruins of Ascalon, and it essentially follows the plot of Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall, and Eye of the North, like a player character would.

Unlike the whole 'two profession only' thing Guild Wars had (as it was more of a gameplay mechanic/limitation than a true piece of lore), Harry (and the other characters) would be able to learn skills from across each profession; I could easily see Harry having a talent (and be tempted by) Necromancy and Ritualism, but primarily rely on Elementalist/Ranger skills/spells, until he ultimately starts to learn Paragon skills and abilities to his skill set, growing into true hero of the Light.

Alternatively, anything that involves a rich and vast fantasy world/universe. Examples (as these are the only ones I can think of in this genre) such as Discworld, Dungeons and Dragons, and (shamefully due to WoW) Warcraft.

Hell, I'd love to see a kickarse Starcraft fusion/cross that has Harry as either a Spectre or Ghost. (Unlike in 13th Stepping Stone, where he's still a wizard, which I really would like to read more of, by the way. *hint*)

Also, a Cthulhu mythos fusion/cross with Harry Potter would be fucking ace; also, thanks to iRC talk last night, I'm writing something along the lines of Cthulhu with HP, right now. (Santi, I blame you!)

20. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

I'm sure I've read a few Cthulhu influenced plots before.