1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Decent Harry/OC paired stories?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Jormungandr, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

A Brave New World is by far one of my favorite stories - although the author does have a few annoying habits in his writing.

Another recommendation, is Harry Potter and the Undead Alliance by sloth. Written back in '04 - it's a refreshingly unique 6th year featuring a Harry conspiring with a Slytherin OC to see what is on the other side of the veil in the Department of Mysteries.

2. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Is Water Mage a he or a she, I wonder? Anyway, it is good to know that the author hasn't dissapeared - perhaps we'll see an update soon?

Thanks man, I'll check it out when I'm a tad less inebriated.

3. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

If memory serves me correctly Harry Potter and the Curse of V'Ardian was a halfway decent story with a pretty good OC.

Edit: Out of curiosity I re-read it, and having done so it looks like my memory failed me somewhat, either that or it didn't really age too well. It wasn't unreadable by any stretch and still worth checking out though.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  4. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

There seems to be no new decent OC stories, so far. I only check fanfiction.net, though; does anyone know of any other 'active' sites that might have new fic's?

All seem to be either desperate self-inserts, a 'character's hidden family' that has been written with the depth of a frying pan, or tastless and pointless slash.

5. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I thought it would be more prudent to bump this topic instead of creating a new one, as it involves OC's.

Does anyone know of any good stories where Harry -still in his school years- is involved with the 'courts' of other races (eg, Fae, Vampire, Veela, other), like those seen in the Dresden File crossovers on ffnet and in the Library? (I've already read the aformentioned crossovers, too).

6. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

Outcast's Alley and it's sequel Bastard Prince by RhiannonT. I have to warn you I found them to be absolutely terrible. Every story of this genre I've ever seen is god awful. There's tons of these fics around. Most of the stories you'll find treat the Fae courts and other races very differently from how Butcher does. They usually end up just being a wankfest over the awesomeness of the new groups. And I can't emphasize enough how much virtually all of them suck. This is a path you will regret going down.

Probably the most well know example of the genre (which you may have already perused at some point) is Miranda Flairgold's fuckery known as ASCAL.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  7. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

Does Swim's Circular Reasoning count? If not, then all I can think of is Anarchy's The Root of All Evil, which I wasn't overly impressed with. Good time-waster, perhaps.

EDIT: Nothing against you, Anarchy, I just didn't enjoy it that much.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  8. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

My story takes a more classical Tolkien route (elves, dwarves) than a supernatural one (vampire, fae) and doesn't take place during Harry's 'Hogwarts Years'. But, i'll take any free exposure if i can get even if i'm not impressed with the story either.

9. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Let's not go down RhiannonT's route; Snape as the daddy? Check. Blood purity, a key component of the HP world removed? Check. Shite? Check.

So, I'd have better luck finding a nugget of gold in a fresh pile of horse shit, then?
    Isn't that story just about an OC named Harry James Potter?

Circular Reasoning? Where an older Harry is a PTS nutcase in his younger body? Or am I thinking of another...?

I'll check out The Root of All Evil; thanks!

10. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If that's all you can remember of CR then you should read it again and bask in its awesomeness. But yes, essentially. Also has the whole fairy court thing. And, just for bonus, an actual OC romance.

11. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You should read the Partially kissed hero. It has awesome fae thingiemanjies. I think.
    :awesome

12. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Egad. You should read it so you can encourage other unsuspecting victims to read it as well.

13. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Do you really want me to hunt you down, kick you in the crotch and then take your man-card? :awesome

14. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Bit of a bump: has anyone found anything new?

15. Starwars

Starwars Squib

The Brave New World is an excellent fic, and I can only speak to what I've read so far, but I am a bit disappointed in the focus. I know I've always been attracted to powerful Harry stories, but so far it looks like Harry's been shoved off to the side. There isn't much of a romance story yet either, but even with all that, it is an amazing story.

16. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

Grow Young With Me by Taliesin19?

It's a slow-burn romance (and I do mean really slow). Ginny died a few years after she and Harry got married (and after the kids appeared), Harry is now head of the Auror Department and a single Dad who's still feeling the loss of Ginny. Every day after work he stops in at a muggle café before he picks Lily up from school, Abby Waters works there as a waitress and is drawn to the quiet man with sad eyes.

It's pretty good, if you have an extremely high tolerance for sugary-sweet Harry-as-a-Dad moments. It does a pretty good job of playing with your emotions, and I say that as someone who had their emotions surgically removed some years ago. Definitely worth a read.

EDIT: I just realised how much of a gigantic bump this was... Oh well.

17. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

S'okay. It was a good rec.

Here's another (less awesome) suggestion. Harry Potter & The Elemental's Power by Raul Fictitious.

It's... a 3/5 at best, and more of a OP Indy!Harry killing things with fire (and his waifu) story than a romance story, but hey, your asking for a Harry/OC fic.

I'll give it points for semi-realistic bits though, doing dangerous things (like... running across a highway together) does fuel the desire to procreate.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  18. Stan

Stan Order Member

Shouldn't every Harry/Daphne count as Harry/OC? Or Tracey, Astoria, Hannah etc. Just because JKR mentioned their names doesn't mean that they're actual characters.

Steelbadger: Excellent rec. Easily one of the best fics written this year. The family dynamics give the fic a Northumbrian-esque feel. Makes me wish more people would write more fics like this instead of the millionth dark and gritty indy!Harry story.

Put it up for review?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  19. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

I... I was working on a Gritty!Dark! Harry story!

*runs off crying*

20. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Fuck.

This is such a damn feel-good story. Harry being a great dad, the well-written slowburn romance, several great moments that just ooze friendship and companionship. I mean, the story is clearly trying very hard to achieve exactly that. It's a bit exaggerated and slightly unrealistic, but it never strays too far into that territory. It serves its purpose: This fic has a lot of emotional depth. Too much, really. I did not need this on a lonely Saturday evening.

Fuck. I hope this story updates soon.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015