1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Decent 'Wrong Boy-Who-Lived'/Alive Potters stories?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Jormungandr, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Yeah, I guess that sounds about right.

2. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Good fluff fic. Nice way to spend time when you're board or what not. I like the way reality was represented in the fic though. Just not that it was in the power of a 16 year old girl.

3. Darth TomMRiddle

Darth TomMRiddle Muggle

High Score:
    There is another WBWL fanfic that I read: "Twins:A Different Life". Basically a combination of WBWL, Harry-grows-up-with-the-founders, and the-dark-sec-is-not-evil.
    The supposed "girl-who-lived" is the usual "spoiled-by-James-Potter". I have to say though, it is one of the most unlikeliest fanfics that I have ever read: Sirius is completely OOC (so is everyone in the dark sec, including Voldemort). It is a perfect illustration of "way-too-many-clichés" fanfics. It definitely offers room for improvement; besides being incomplete.
    Verdict: avoid.

4. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Why, why, did you post this if it's full of cliches, incomplete, better to be avoided? Did you not see the title of this thread, which is 'Decent 'Wrong Boy-Who-Lived'/Alive Potters stories?' ?

Also, the last post is from 6 years ago, so you know, necromancy withouth any good content - because you also forgotten to provide a link.

5. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

Wait, What? by esama is my favourite WBWL fic. tbh i don't actually like the subject matter all the much, so a semi-cracky oneshot is the most i could tolerate from it.

6. Dresden11

Dresden11 Fifth Year

Family Bonds by xXDesertRoseXx is probably the best WBWL I have seen. The cliche of Lily/James spending more time with his twin is at least explained very reasonably (they travel to different nations to get magical experts to determine just why their son survived the killing curse) and Harry grows up happy. There is a lot of worldbuilding and a proactive Harry Potter.

Plus there are almost 8000 reviews. Though I am not sure if that is a plus or minus since so many of the most highly reviews stories are trash.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  7. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11191235/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Prince-of-Slytherin

So, me posting that one is probably not a surprise, given that half my post count stems from the thread about this fic. Still, this one's great. The ideas alone, especially the world building and the little explanations that fill out canon make this worth reading. Of course, they have to make up for some tired clichés, horrendous pacing issues and eleven year-olds collectively behaving like they're thirty.
    Yet: Do fucking read this.

8. Lenrivk

Lenrivk Squib

High Score:
    Since everyone is doing necromancy, I shall join in on the fun!

Harry-Dursley-and-The-Chronicles-of-the-King

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/115745...d-Stealing-Witches-Revenge-is-Best-Served-Raw

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9057950/1/Too-Young-to-Die

Other than this, I don't recall anything of quality (or of note) that hasn't been mentioned already.

°1 is a slow going/growth story that has plot within plots clashing with other plots and an excellent use of culture (real culture, not pop) and with some extensive research into the lore and European legends.

°2 is, as far as I can tell, crack done seriously.

°3 is an excellent story, kind of depressing but do remember that you have only Harry's pov, so every characterisation is, in the end, explained.

9. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I lasted until chapter nine where Neville regales Harry and Hermione with how his uncle Algie tried to murder him as a kid; you know, those 'funny' stories about how his uncle would dangle him from heights to see whether he was a squib or not weren't so funny after all, it seems.

Christ...

The story does some things right, but far more things wrong. It's technically sound (somewhat), but it's littered with clichés and info-dumps. 10 years ago this could have been a defining story for the wrong-BWL! community, now it's a stale piece of shit.

I get the sense that the author has potential, though, probably through his wordcount and update rate alone, but also because I get the sense that he cares about the story; he just needs to 'mature' his writing.

2/5

10. Lenrivk

Lenrivk Squib

High Score:
    Matian True, the beginning is extremely rough and hard to read but it gets better and better with extremely interesting takes on characters (his Lockhart is... interesting, to say the least) and even his take on James is somewhat justified by the Potter family background. Actually, he's now beginning third year and I wonder on how he will "save" the first chapter (for those who don't know, a flash forward to the end of the Tournament.

So all in all, I'd say that if one could bear through the first few chapters, it does become increasingly better, with interesting concept that personally, I haven't seen anywhere else (the '93 summer is rife of these).

3/5, would change to 3,5/5 if the earlier chapters were edited so that it doesn't appear to be an utter piece of trash and to 4/5 if the author's style had matured so that some passages would not be so cringy.

11. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

If you only lasted until chapter 9, which means you've basically read all of the worst chapters this story has to offer, and still give this a 2/5, you should definitely read on.
    There's nearly no doubt that the story gets better, I've only encountered one guy who didn't think so and I once posted a massive amount of quotes from DLP users concerning this story who felt the same.
    https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showpost.php?p=897065&postcount=43

If you aren't sure and want a sneak peek on what to expect, I'd encourage you to read this chapter:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11191235/50/Harry-Potter-and-the-Prince-of-Slytherin

12. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

From chapter 27:

This is shit. And it sums up the whole experience in reading the story. Granted I did continue reading following your advice, but the story never reaches more than 3/5 and for the most parts stays within 2/5. It's even great sometimes, but for the most parts it's stilted conversations, contrived plots (like this fucking Hydra and the other snakes) and this thing the author has with kids saying mister and miss to each other. It's fucking annoying.

The story didn't get any better and if takes more than a 100.000 words for a story to get better, then it's probably not worth your time. This certainly wasn't.

13. TheGeekyFolkteller

TheGeekyFolkteller Muggle

Yeah, I know the thread is old, but there IS a story written by JustBored21 with the WBOL premise that's actually good, and what's MORE important, James and Lily AREN'T vilified! In the story, Harry's parents fell into a coma allowing good ol' Dumbles to screw around with his and his brother's lives. It's a fun read that gets a little bit nuts in the later chapters and Harry gets a little OP in the final chapters, but still worth it. Also James and Lily wake up around chapter 20(mid-third year), so that's awesome too!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13251826/1/I-m-not-a-hero

14. Nexis

Nexis Third Year

High Score:
    @TheGeekyFolkteller I read the first chapter of the story that you linked, and I'm sorry, but it's very much awful.

EDIT: Yeah, checked the last chapter to see if the writing improves. It doesn't.

15. TheGeekyFolkteller

Yes, but all the WBOL stories are shit. This is just slightly less shit.

16. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Know how I know that story is terrible without reading it. You said Dumbles. This thread was two years old and while on topic I would have rather you posted it to Review Board where you can dig into why this story is good and why the rest of DLP should read it.

You obviously thought it was good enough to bump the thread but then you down play when Nexis acts like an asshole but you still don't tell us why.

17. Acquiescing Avian

Acquiescing Avian Second Year

Expository monologues, rituals to increase power, audiences wanking over Harry's 'rough' childhood, wandless Killing Curses, Dumbledore, Weasleys and Hermione who keep saying the same stupid shit over and over again, Harry ranting in front of the OotP to 'prove' how stupid they are... What is there to like?

The only thing really worth appreciating is the author's dedication in completing their stories.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  18. TheGeekyFolkteller

can't give a suggestion without getting crucified nowadays. Just another day on the internet.

Yes, now that I'm looking over it, I guess I see everyone's point. I suppose if I can say anything positive then I would say that the story's entertaining because it's funny to read. Unlike other WBOL stories, I didn't feel like banging my head against my keyboard wondering why everyone in the story is so god damn awful. This isn't everyone's cup of tea, however, so I get why not many people would tolerate it for its other faults

19. TheGeekyFolkteller

Okay, yeah, when you say it like that.

Also, may I say you read incredibly fast

20. Pathological Liar

Pathological Liar Second Year

Even though I haven't read it, Subversion is said to be a very good fic.

Prince of Slytherin is good when it comes to WBWL stories. It's bad in first year, excellent in second year and a mix of greatness and convoluted mess in third year but it is entertaining.

Dodging Prison And Stealing Witches has excellent entertainment value for a fic that is filled with almost every trope in fandom. There is something about the ridiculousness of its situations which makes for a very fun read. Also, the girls in Harry's Harem are all badass, which I've seen in many other fics.

Ashes of Chaos is strictly guilty pleasure, it's derivative of many other fics and the writing, while technically good, is kind of bland. It's got a regular update rate and the author seems to be genuinely interested in improving the story. If you like prodigy Harry and can stand 11 year olds talking like 30 year olds, then this fic is good for you.

Harry Potter, Rise From Dust has a emotionally stunted but Mary Sue in every other way Harry who is older than his truly BWL brother and is best friends with just as Mary Sue Female characters who are all in love with him. Abandoned but it's a nice fic to turn your brain off and read.