1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Deprived by The Crimson Lord - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by liam-mcgillis15, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

There is some innovation in this story, mostly with Hate, but...eeh.

Guilty pleasure read, for me. :)

2. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Agreed. Writing is decent technically (i.e. I don't want to scratch my eyeballs out after one page due to typos), and the beginning at least is slightly different. I'm also mildly curious about how Hate works. But it's not terribly original and is quickly descending into indy!Harry cliche-dom.

2.5/5 from me - marginal Recycle Bin material.

3. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I'd say it deserves recycling bin. It's by no means the worst that I've read, and I'm interested in where it goes from here. That being said, the story really isn't very good if you're looking at it from a technical stand point. OC's pop up out of nowhere, and taking the asian chick on was just dumb. Overall I'll still read it, but it shouldn't be in the library.

4. Tibbers

Tibbers Squib

This fic is absolutely terrible in every way. 1/5

5. insectamantidae

insectamantidae Professor

I'd say it's worthy of the recycling bin... but honestly the cliches are coming on too fast and too thick. If they had been spread out with originally thought-up material, that would be nice. 2/5

6. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It would have been worth the recycling bin in the beginning, but it went downhill with an awesome speed.

I expect a lot from the first task, but regardless of how the author describes that scene I think the story deserves the trash bin.

7. Dungbomb

Dungbomb First Year

I'm guessing the first task will have harry transforming into his "rex" form and fist bumping the dragon to the tune of 'beat that beat' with his puny little arms which will make Fleur, Luna and Daphne squee in their skirts. Or of course, the ubiquitous dragons speaking parseltongue because they are more related to the lizard family than they are to snakes.

8. coleam

coleam Death Eater

If "Rex" turns out to be a T-rex, I don't know whether I'll laugh or cry. On the one hand, it'll have gone straight past cliche-dom and into the land of awesomely bad, but on the other, Harry as a T-rex is just so stupid.

My money's on a lion though - super-cliche, but not absolutely ridiculous.

9. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Just over used.

10. Immet

Immet Seventh Year

Rex is one of three things:

• T-Rex
    • Lion
    • Basilisk (King of Serpents in canon)
    Having a bloody basilisk is one of the worst things ever. If I see it in a fic I wince and want to cry. It never works well, especially if they also have two Animagus forms, one for Harry and one for Tom. Unfortunately I think its pretty likely here.

If one really wants a magical snake then go for something interesting like a Hoop Snake (bites tail then rolls in a big ring after prey) or a Tsuchinoko (alcoholic talking snake that likes lying and also rolls towards prey like the Hoop Snake). Something different, something easily found in 20 seconds googling, something that isn't stupidly overpowered.

11. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Harry as a T-Rex is not stupid... well okay, yes it is. But it's also fucking awesome, and seeing as how this story is hardly up for story of the year, he better be a god damned T-Rex.

12. Christinathewitch

Christinathewitch Second Year

Why not a dog? It would show how loyal and brave Harry is and use it to compare him to Sirius. I actually hope that's it because I just can't get the nice image of Harry transforming and getting eaten by the dragon in the first seconds out of my head.

13. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Maybe it's a flea? Then Harry will take hours to travel past the dragon undetected, position his little flea body next to the egg, then revert back to human form and side-along apparate the egg to safety before the dragon knows what's what.

14. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

You can't apparate on Hogwarts grounds.

Wait--Harry is probably descended from one or more of the founders (but his estranged family are not, strangely enough) so that rule doesn't count.
    Carry on.

15. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Turning into a T-Rex is just a cheap manga ripoff...

Meh - even if he is able to transform into something awesome it would be extraordinarily stupid to show off his abilities. As I don't expect much from the author anymore, I fear (I am sure) he will write some ExtraordinaryBadassSuperHarry scenes.