1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Deus Ex: The Fall

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by garion1500, Jun 7, 2013.

1. garion1500

garion1500 Third Year

So according to various gaming periodicals Deus Ex: The Fall has officially been announced. The interesting thing is that instead of it being on console or PC it's going to be on mobiles devices using iOS and yet the devs are saying it's not going to be 'watered down' as some are claiming it must be since it's on mobile.

Good thing? Bad thing? Your thoughts on this in general?

2. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

Bad. I was really excited when they teased a 7 sec vine video on twitter with Jon De Lancie's voice only to be told it's on something I don't and likely won't ever, have.

3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As soon as I saw "mobile device" my interest disappeared. Here's an idea, how about you make a real game?

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I know the initial reaction to a mobile game is that it'll be a piss weak casual or social game... but it'd be pretty boss to have some good games on those platforms. Let them experiment and try something new.

I have more time throughout the day to use my phone for entertainment than a traditional computer. I usually use that time to read fics, because the games are weak, but I'd be interested in seeing that changed.

I don't know if the team behind this new game is capable of it, or if that's even their intention, but I don't think there's anything wrong with designing a real game expressly for mobile devices.

5. meev

meev Groundskeeper

How about the fact it's not a gaming device and therefore controls terribly. It's not "something new". There have been attempts at putting real games on touchscreen devices before. They didn't work. You can see on their demonstration in the video how clunky it is.

6. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Well, I'll give it a chance... oh wait no I won't because my phone would explode if I even tried to play any game past tetris.

7. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I don't have a source, but I've talked to multiple people now who've said it's going to be six hours long.

In the video interview they say they want the gameplay to be "as simple as possible". Like, I get that. It's on a tablet - so input is limited to touch. You'd think a touch screen would allow for complex games, but a keyboard allows for the most complicated interface. Simple as that. That's why mobile games tend to suck, though having small budgets, low-end hardware, authorization fees, and bad intentions doesn't help.

Literally don't care about the game, which says something, since I was fully prepared to purchase the next Deux Ex game at $60, which I don't really do anymore.

Square has been hemorrhaging money. The Fall is a result of that. They didn't make bank on Tomb Raider (I could have told them they wouldn't on that game) and Hitman (surprised there, but it did sell a decent number of copies, they over-budgeted the thing). Square has been sending messages since the start of the new year that they aren't inclined to invest much in the next console generation and seem to be migrating to mobile, because they believe it's some sort of safe haven (it's not, it's even more fiercely competed-in than the consolespace).

I'll be surprised if we ever get a proper sequel to HR.

But you know things are bad in the industry when "we want to make the game as simple as possible" is something the developers say to try and market the game, and they think consumers will think positively on such talk.

8. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Technically, Square's issues with Tomb Raider are due to budgets too. That game sold very well, just not good enough for its absurd budget.

9. Kaemrynn

Kaemrynn Fourth Year

SE did actually say that they were looking at coming out with a sequel to HR for the standard PC and consoles that everyone seems to be looking for. True, The Fall is for mobile platforms, but hopefully they come through with the sequel like they stated.

TSN